*Spoilers*Transformers: War For Cybertron Story Discussion*Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Transformed, Jun 30, 2010.

?

How do you feel about the story?

1. It was great.

45 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. It was good.

33 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. It was okay.

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. It could have been better.

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. It needs some serious work.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Source: Wikipedia.com

The aim of this thread is to talk about Transformers: War For Cybertron’s story only, so to get to the point: what did you think? Did you like it or what? For those who want to discuss things outside the story, please feel free to do so here or elsewhere.

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I´m confused. So is this a prequel to Prime or not?

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looking at the art style of prime... no

any ways its from wiki so take a grain of sult.

but on topic its a cool story the only thing I wasn't keen on was the term Dark Energon so in my head I just call it cybertronium

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    The story was pretty decent for Transformers, I just didn't like how important or dramatic plot points were handled poorly, especially in the cinematics.

Starscream's switch seems way too instant. One moment he believes Dark Energon only destroys, then he quickly turns into the character we know because..what? Oh, Megatron can control the power, so now he must learn it as well..it will still destroy the planet, you know. :p  And why were Thundercracker and Skywarp so easily swayed as well?

Was kind of weird to see Optimus reach the core of Cybertron, and it talks to him, tells him he has a spark - pretty much acknowledging he's Primus, without using that name. Either the Autobots were already aware of this all along or just didn't give a good goddamn. :p 
    Some parts that might have benefitted from slightly more care, but in the end I definitely enjoyed the story of the game :) 

It's not a prequel to Prime. It's a re-intepretation of the events that take place just before the G1 cartoon, but it's safe to say it will become it's own thing pretty fast - there are already many differences.

What we know of TF Prime, right now it seems to take hints from various TF lore, kind of mixing them together and using what the general audience knows of TF. In this case: that the Autobots at one point come to Earth to defend the Decepticons and stay to help the humans repel them if they return. One could say this is because of the movies, which I think is true..but I believe it's its own thing.

5. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unless I have already forgotten, did they ever give a reason as to how Prime knew Megs from before? All I remember is Optimus saying it was a story for another time, but nothing is ever revealed in the rest of the game.

As for the whole story, I though it was okay. Felt a little rushed in parts.

6. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that was supposed to be a slim reference to the "War Dawn" episode when they first met. I may be wrong, but that's what I took it as.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    The story was serviceable enough, nothing special, but not terrible either. I did love
    the way the Decepticon campaign progressed though, it really felt like a good succession of events. The Autobot campaign was the better gaming experience, but the story was a bit more of a mess, though I did like the new origin for the Matrix.

What I hated about the Autobot campaign's story though, is that it felt like it had no real goal to it, and was terribly anti-climatic. The Iacon level was a great starting point, but then they forget all about the Con invasion to go to the prison, then there's the journey to the core and them taking 'Primus' for granted (would have been much better if they were shocked), then suddenly Megatron is angry that the Autobots are leaving when he said that IT WAS WHAT HE WANTED...

Then after that the dark energon plot pretty much stops, the Trypticon fight happens, and then that's it! The Ark isn't even completed yet! Why start the evacuation plot, if they're not even going to properly end it? It might have been better if Megatron was the boss of the Core level, and let him barely escape with his life.

8. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How does the book tie into this since most of it seems to be contradicted by what the book has, and vice versa?

9. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

I think the story was very solid. There are some loopholes, but you really have to give HM Studios some credit as it's their first endeavor.

Especially nice was the homage to G1. I feel that this, combined with the aspects of previous shows and the movies, will set the stage for TF: Prime in a very positive way.

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Pretty simple; they don't tie in together at all. If anything, the book is a Prime prequel, while the game is it's own thing.

11. JazzMeister19

JazzMeister19 Well-Known Member

It was alright, but I think it could use some work. The Starscream betrayal did happen too quickly, and I thought that his friendship with Jetfire/Skyfire should have been more prominent in their few scenes together. I actually liked that the evacuation started and the Ark crew wasn't the first people to leave. It makes the G1 world make more sense, especially the episodes with the G1 Female Transformers. They weren't the only female Transformers, but the only ones that didn't get off the planet.

Neither story was overly amazing, but I enjoyed the Decepticon story more than the Autobot story. Although the Autobots had better bosses, Since they actually fought named Decepticons. The stories weren't great nor horrible, but if it really is supposed to fit into G1 it has a lot of little things that bother me.

I don't like dark energon, if this game is really supposed to lead into G1, why add an element like that, which could not have possibly existed in the old cartoon? Even if it gets destroyed or removed from Megs in the sequel, you would think that something like this would be at least mentioned in the original series. Also I just think "dark" anything sounds really cliche.

At the very least they could have made what Megatron was looking for a way to jump start the natural development of raw energon. Raw energon wasn't in the G1 cartoon, but it was in Beast Wars, which is the same universe and we have an episode where Terrosaur gets an power boost like Megs from it. It even had the crystal like look to it.

Bumblebee was in the story too much in my opinion. Why would Optimus take Bumblebee to the Decepticon prison with him? Normally I wouldn't think that Optimus would risk having such a young character in that environment, and personally I think that Jazz should have been there in his stead. :thumbs2: 

Also if this story is supposed to fit into the G1 universe, why not use Powerglide or some other non-aerial bot Transformer for the Autobot flying levels? They didn't exist yet, although I don't really mind since G1 isn't the most consistent series.

I really didn't like that Optimus went to the prison only to save Zeta Prime and saving the other Autobot prisoners was used as a distraction. That doesn't sound heroic at all, I know it's more realistic to save someone who has importance, but Optimus is a cartoon morally righteous hero. It also seemed silly to me that he even went, when the Autobots already knew that Zeta was dead. I think Optimus should have gone to the prison in order to save the several Autobots that were captured and used Zeta Prime as an excuse to get the mission approved by the Autobot counselors. Especially when they already knew Zeta had bit it.

12. Autobrand

Autobrand Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The same basic elements are there, just told a bit differently.

The Council promotes Orion Pax to Prime, making him Optimus Prime due to the rising violence of Megatron's followers and Sentinal Prime is missing. Later, when Optimus has recovered Sentinal from Kaon prison, we find out that title was never the Council's to give. Sentinal Prime had to pass it to him. Optimus was Prime in name only, up until Sentinal passed it on.

Megatron and Starscream meet before the war, unlike what was depicted in the video game. Starscream was in charge of Moon Base One and Trypticon Station (the base where the Dark Energon was being produced), but kept his Seekers out of the fighting for a time, waiting to see which side was likely to come out on top. Megatron gets sick of it and invades Trypticon station and strong-arms Starscream into his ranks. Once Starscream and his minions have the Energon Bridge up and running again, Trypticon station begins producing Dark Energon for Megatron's troops.

There was no Omega Key in the book. The Decepticons figure out that the Core cannot produce enough Energon to make enough Dark Energon to keep the army supplied. Dark Energon burns up quickly and is highly addictive. Soundwave reveals he knows about the Plasma Energy Chamber, an unlimited supply of Energon. To get the Plasma Energy Chamber, one needs to Code Keys, one of Justice and one of Power. Starscream is sent to find one while the other is found to reside within Sentinal Prime. Which Megatron rips out before tossing Sentinal in Kaon prison.

When Megatron tries to take the Plasma Energy Chamber, Teletraan-1 deploys an emergency measure to keep it out of Decepticon hands - Omega Supreme. The Decepticons ultimately defeat Omega (he survives) and use the Plasma Energy Chamber, infused with Dark Energon, to infect the core.

The Autobots never actually fight Trypticon. Ultra Magnus and his soldiers (the Wreckers) volunteer to stay behind to delay Trypticon while Optimus leads the remaining Autobots to the Ark. Jetfire also volunteers to remain on Cybertron. The Wreckers and Jetfire promise to keep fighting the Decepticons until Optimus and the Autobots return to Cybertron.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I love the story. It's different, but in a good way. Everything happenes over a reasonable period of time, instead of dragged out over millions of years, and the characters are quite likable. The story with Dark Energon is also a good one.

14. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do not remember that part. To me, this is not a prequel since it tells the same story, yet differently.

If anything, Starscream released Sentinel Prime to stall Megatron from getting the key before Starscream, without anyone realizing the Key of Power was actually in Sentinel Prime. There was a fight, and then Megatron killed S. Prime

15. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

I think this is a very good storyline. :) 

16. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I liked it for the most part. A lot of parts seemed to end abruptly but maybe they just wanted to avoid overly long cutscenes

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I don't see how it can be, nor why people continue to think it is.

I guess we'll all know for sure later... but if I was a betting man I would say that WFC is G1 while PRIME is unrelated.

18. Autobrand

Autobrand Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After they fight, Sentinal is still alive and Megatron tosses him back into Kaon prison. Optimus, Jazz, and Prowl (who is a ninja - pretty darn cool!) break in and find him chained up. He dies there and passes the title to Optimus. Later, when the Core passes the Matrix to Optimus, it tells him that only Sentinal could pass the title, not the Council, so he was never really a Prime.

19. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found the story told in War For Cybertron fun—familiar names, faces and Peter Cullen made is very enjoyable. The dialog between rivals and friends was pretty good:thumb 

I don’t particularly like War For Cybertron’s Megatron, as he’s a bully; not only is he a bully, but he’s a coward too. I wanted to see a Megatron who respected his troops, and troops that respected him—followed him because they believed in him, not because they feared him.

I’m tired of the Decepticons being portrayed as thugs. I was sort of hoping that High Moon Studios was going to explain the Decepticon’s cause, really explaining why Megatron believed in what he was doing was the right thing to do. I even hoped that this was going to be the moment the Decepticons weren’t evil, but a group of Cybertronians with a different set of beliefs that isn’t evil, just different.

I thought the whole meeting between Megatron and Starscream was going to be some big scene. When I heard Matt speak about this in interviews, I couldn’t help but think of the possibilities, sadly what we got was pretty underwhelming.

I sort of though Starscream was going to come from a higher caste than Megatron, and that Megatron wanted to use Starscreams clout to further his own agenda, and Starscream being an admire of Megatron’s accomplishments genuinely wanted to support him, work with him—I didn’t expect to see these two going at it in this game at all.

I hope Dark energon gets retconed come War For Cybertron 2. I didn’t care much for it at all. I agree with what everyone else has already said about it. Dark energon ruined the story, as I do not understand what Megatron hoped to accomplish: use it to destroy the Autobots, gaining Cybertron in the process or Destroying Cybertron and all its inhabitants:confused:  Everyone, save for Megatron new how dangerous its power was.

Now, if Dark energon was explained to be something like a performance enhancing drug, boosting the strength and endurance of its users, I think that would have worked better. With no side giving way to the other, the prolonged stalemate between the Autobots and the Decepticons I could picture Megatron doing something as dangerous as he did: doing whatever was necessary to tip the scale, no matter how dangerous or crazy it might have been. If their war has really gone on for millions of years (though hundreds or thousands sounds much better) prior to leaving Cybertron, I think both sides would have tried some crazy $#!+.

Not a fan of the High Council. Their only purpose is to choose the next Prime? Really? …so do they get executed at some point ‘cause Optimus didn’t defer to them when he chose his successor.

Anyway, there were a few things I didn’t like about the story, but I did enjoy the overall story told.

I hope the next story is much stronger than this one, longer too.

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Yeah, but on G1 the Matrix was made by that weird scientist dude (can´t remember his name) and here it´s part of Cybertron. Yet another inconstiteny.

On the other hand, the fact Cybertron has a voice could be the Oracle we see in Beast Machines later on (which would suck since I rather ignore that abominnation).