Spoilers: Lorenzo di Bonavetura Explains The Mid-Credit Scene From Transformers: Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    Translation: "I don't know what they're doing..."

...Let Spielberg and Goldner take over as Executive Producers PLEASE...

• Like Like x 6
  2. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You may be right. This was stated in a recent article when talking about aspect ratios:
    “I suggested to Travis first and then to [producer] Lorenzo di Bonaventura and the producers going with the 1.85 aspect ratio,” remarks Chediak. “Travis loved it immediately. However, the producers were hesitant because all of the other Transformers had been done in the 2.40 aspect ratio. Amblin movies were 1.85. I also liked the idea that even though this is a Transformers character, we didn’t want to play by the rules of the other Transformers movies. We wanted to create our own rules."

Not sure how much this extends elsewhere, but it seems like a lot of the producers wanted to keep aspects of the previous films while others like Travis wanted to do something different.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Temenos

Temenos The Touch

News Credits:
    I won't watch Bumblebee until Lorenzo di Bonaventura has been tried at The Hague!

• Like Like x 1
  4. MrJoshimusPrime

MrJoshimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I\'m not believing a word this guy says, I still think it\'s at least a soft reboot. 

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    except he explicitly says that he met bumblebee when he was a kid

• Like Like x 6
  6. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    >altered visuals
    >inconsistent narrative
    >filmmakers claim it's a prequel
    >fandom claims it's a reboot
    >endless arguments

We Star Trek fandom now.

• Like Like x 16
  7. Lore Keeper

Lore Keeper Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I agree that we shouldn't bash the guy or call him names. For all we know, he has a heart of gold and feeds homeless puppies in the street. But, his stance on this movie is fair game for criticism when it seems very out of touch with the reality of the situation.

• Like Like x 7
  8. badbadryan

badbadryan Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    OK I am missing something. In the first Bay movie we see Prime and others come to earth as protoforms correct? That was way after the Bumblebee movie right? At the end of the Bee movie he meets up with prime in full-blown G1 truck mode? So he was here then left, became a protoform, then came back again? I really want this to be a reboot and to have this weird mix of following the old movies and at the same time contradicting them drives me nuts.....

• Like Like x 2
  9. Skyquake21

Skyquake21 Dinobot Wrangler

2007 : \"We\'ve learned Earth\'s languages through the World Wide Web\"

1980s : Decepticons invent the dang Internet  

• Like Like x 20
  10. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    The moon is a pretty big place. I doubt they would have the means to scour the entire surface, and it's possible they were specifically scanning for the Allspark, not other Cybertronian tech (heck, maybe they couldn't even detect the Ark if it's computers were offline). It's kind of tricky to argue about alien tech, since we don't know how it works. That's the kind of thing that doesn't really bug me.

Shatter and Dropkick were Sector 7's first contact with active Transformers. If the Roswell event was really an alien spaceship wreck, the bodies recovered from it wouldn't be considered our first contact with aliens. Since Megatron was frozen, I doubt Sector 7 knew exactly what he was. Burn's surprise at Bumblebee changing forms isn't out of place since Megatron didn't take an Earth form.

It's fine to make predictions, but it's not fine to convince yourself that something has to be true when it conflicts with the word of the people making it. Like it or not, Lorenzo knows more about his own movie than we do. We don't get to sit in on their meetings and whatnot.

Things like design styles and whatnot aren't solid evidence that something is a reboot (or else the Star Wars prequels would be reboots). I get people's disappointment at Bumblebee being a prequel (they technically could still change their mind), but I don't think it's fair to blame the people making the movie as if it were advertised falsely. Most of the evidence, right back to the movie's conception, pointed to it being a prequel. Anything else was fan speculation and a couple vague statements by actors (who aren't part of the creative side).

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Well, Bumblebee himself didn't even seem to remember that. I'd take stuff Burton said with a grain of salt.

• Like Like x 4
  12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'm starting to think that this guy has been the problem, and not Bay.

• Like Like x 15
  13. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I still find it funny that people are still so butthurt over Bay's treatment that they keep trying to convince themselves that this isn't even a "sort of" prequel, and also that it was actually a good movie. There we so many problems I had with it, but this isn't the place to discuss.

• Like Like x 3
  14. VortexPrime

VortexPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, now he's just trolling, right? How can a person be so dumb?! Just admit it's a reboot or even just lie about it if you didn't think so! That's the best word that could be attached to this movie in this particular moment! Godammit!

-Autobots arriving in the 80'
    - no frozen Megatron
    - Optimus literally presents Earth to Bumblebee in this movie so he couldn't even be there for WW2 or whatever, they are just now discovering our planet!

it's 100% a reboot for the love of Primus!

• Like Like x 14
  15. Firecrusher

Firecrusher Member

Just saying:
    If somehow Fall of Cybertron and Transformers Prime can fall in the same continuity, it\'s MORE than possible for the same case to be with Transformers 2007 and Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well, not quite true now as it's said that FOC is a prequel to the Rise of the Dark Spark game which is prequel AOE and at the end of it all, it makes it a prequel to the Bayverse.

17. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    How can he be so inhumanly dumb?

Literal spawn of Satan.

18. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    The whole Aligned Continuity should be ignored and not compared to what’s going on right now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Fall in? More like badly ham-handedly crammed together. Aligned was a failure.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mean, I think it's pretty clear exactly what Bumblebee is and why he is saying this.

It started as a clear cut prequel, and most of the script and almost everything Earth-bound were written when it was a prequel. Blitzwing, Shatter and Dropkick are all bayformer designs, where the vehicle parts cover the body like armored plates, with a gunmetal robot under it. I'd say they're consistent mostly with AoE and TLK Bayformers... so somewhat more human like faces and body proportions. So that's how Bumblebee started. Pure Bayverse. Sector 7, the Robot designs, the new Deception characters, mute Bumblebee who talks via a radio, no Megatron, Optimus not being on Earth yet. It's all Michael Bay.

Then The Last Knight landed with a big thud and they decided to change their plans for Transformer films. To what exactly, even they weren't clear on. So the stuff that wasn't committed to the film yet- namely the Cybertron Prologue and the Epilogue - was pushed in a more G1 direction, in order to hopefully win back some fan interest and to take the franchise in a potential reboot direction, if Bumblebee was well received.

Please tell me these Transformers are from the same movie vision. They aren't. They aren't even close.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So why is Lorenzo saying this? Well Bumblebee was well received critically and by audiences, but it hasn't been a money maker. Aquaman has been beating it handedly. It was released at an awkward time. And even it's marketing and target audience was strange. The previews before the Movie were all for extremely kid-film fare. Was Bumblebee a PG-13 action movie or a PG Family / Coming of Age movie that got the wrong rating and marketing? If it was the latter (and it was PG-13), it was whipped by Aquaman. If it was the former, then it would be more successful, but it wasn't quite marketed like that.

So why is Lorenzo saying this? Because he and the studio have no idea what they want to do with Transformers going forward still. Maybe it's more in the PG direction. Maybe it's more in the reboot direction. Maybe they're keeping in the back of their mind that they miss the huge payday, and could lure Michael Bay back with a dump truck of money. They can't say "reboot" if they are holding out the idea of going back into a Bay direction.

So I think he's keeping his options open because Bumblebee 2 is still a "maybe", and Bayformers 6 is a "maybe" and Transformers Reboot is a "maybe" and if they commit to something hard now, it makes it messier for them later.

If they end up doing Bayformers 6, he'll keep saying Bumblebee is a Prequel, not a reboot.
    If they end up doing Bumblebee 2, they'll be cagey, but probably keep pulling it in a more not-Bayverse direction without officially committing.
    If they end up doing Transformers Reboot, they'll just go back and say "oh yeah it was a reboot the entire time".

That's what I think. They don't know what they're doing yet, so they're keeping their options open. But our eyes aren't lying: this movie was sandwiched between two eras of Transformers movies, and is clearly a reboot if they want it be, or a prequel if they don't... and they'll decide later.

• Like Like x 24