SPOILERS..continuity issues?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by cosmosaurus, Jun 30, 2011.

1. cosmosaurus

cosmosaurus RID is Better Than G1

so if the decepticons had made humans stopped from going back to the moon in the 70s, why did it take them 30 years to find megatron. Also, did I hear in DOTM right that Sentinel said he was planning on meeting megs on earth back during the war with the bridge? if the decepticons had hid the pillars back then they waited years until prime would come to earth and awaken sentinel for them? so the allspark just happened to bump into an asteroid and hit earth? did they not know the allspark was on earth until sam put his great grampas glasses up on ebay? Am I off base here? Is there any explanation or is this me forgetting half the movie?

2. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    To me you just have to suspend disbelief. You could be right about Sentinel wanting to MEET Megs on Earth, and if that is true perhaps you could look at it as Megs wanted the Autobots to believe the Allspark is what he was after. The cube arriving on the same planet. Well, the first movie would have been pointless if it had landed on Quintessa or Lithone. I'm trying to look at everything as really stetchy coincidence

3. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

If this was the plan all along, what was ROTF? Plan B?

There were so many continuuity issues, from Megatron dissapearing and showing up hanging out in an alley to Bumblebee rescuing Sam and suddenly being in the Decepticon Hostage circle... Optimus Primes big plan to PROTECT THE HUMANS was to let the Decepticons slaughter a large chunk of the population of Chicago? and they also forgot to actually write an ending as well.

4. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    i think megatrons plan was:

-the sun harvester was made on earth but the fallen lost the key to his brothers and used megs to get the allspark be cause the allspark can find the matrix since the matrix was made from it.
    -sentinal made that deal with megs.
    -megs was going to betray the fallen.
    -allspark is sent into space by bumblebee and goes to earth because that is where the matrix is.
    -megs goes after the allspark to raise a new army (stated by ratchet in TFTM '07) and to use the allspark to find the matrix.
    -then the fallen was to arrive, only to find sentinal revived by a defiant megatron.
    -prime and megs kill the fallen (since only a prime can kill the fallen, megs needed sentinal which is why he accepted sentinals agreement) take our suns energy, and rescorces (oil metal... ect)
    -transport them to cybertron via pillars(needed sentinal to control the pillars)
    -and use megatrons newly activated army (by the allspark) to rebuild cybertron.
    -after all the rescorces were transported, megs was going to kill sentinal and rebuild cybertron in his image.
    -when finish, he would have moved on to conquer the ....(galaxy, universe, whatever)

ALL HAIL MEGATRON!!!!!!!!:ev: :ev: :2c: 

5. Trikeboy

Trikeboy Well-Known Member

Megatron and the Allspark's energy signature was hidden by Hoover Dam, until he was moved, why would the Decepticons search a mile below the surface of the water for a large ice cube? The Allspark landed centuries before the events of the first film too. It is possible only Megatron and a select few (Starscream and Soundwave?) knew about the arrangement with Sentinal Prime. The Fallen had no idea that Megatron had that deal going.

Or, they could be massive plot holes.

6. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, if we're talking 'that WAS the plan' decent filler on the plotholes and something I would be cool with being written in.

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Transformers has always had continuinity issues. Always will have too.

8. duster

duster Well-Known Member

I guess Bay's team looked at the bigger picture that most of the people who are gonna watch the movies will be the general-not G1 fans-public. A lot of people I work with enjoyed the movie and didn't question the plot holes, continuity problems or the relation of the 3 movies. They just bought a ticket, ate their popcorn and watched the movie then went home satisfied with what they saw. It just shows that Bay was really targeting to satisfy this generation than the hardcore fans. Either way this movie is gonna make shitloads of cash!

9. bearweezie

bearweezie Well-Known Member

Where was The Fallen during the war on Cybertron, how come Optimus doesn't even know who he is?

10. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Yeah, there's always going to be continuity issues (most, I think could be explained away). I do give Dark of the Moon credit in that the plot holes and "what just happened" events weren't nearly as glaring as they were in Rotf (magical rail gun anyone?)

Plus, I always viewed Megatron as having multiple plans, as you never know what will happen:
    Here is the rough timeline as I view it (keep in mind I'm basing this SOLEY on what I've seen in the films, not anything done in the comics):

-Fallen is banished from Cybertron (I'm going to presume he was banished in that big space ship we see him in, and it isn't far fetched to assume he didn't go quietly, hence a damaged space ship)
    -War breaks out between Autobots and Decepticons
    -Sentinel Prime develops space bridge tech and signs the deal with Megatron. Knowing many Autobots aren't going to just "stop fighting", Megatron orders ships to attack the Ark. Plus, the Ark has the Autobot leader, greatest mind, AND a war-changing tech (and it was implied SP was the only one who could operate it) on board, I really think Megatron ordered the attack to remove them from the equation.
    -Optimus ejects the Allspark from Cybertron, effectively ending the war as the planet goes dead. Megatron heads out to find either Sentinel Prime OR the Allspark. I would imagine the assault force was able to track the Ark and gather most of the pillers. Remember, even having all the pillars, they still needed Sentinal to USE them. They likely entered "sleep mode" to conserve power and wait for Megatron.
    -Megatron enters our solar system tracking both and comes across Nemesis and The Fallen, and learns about the Matrix and Energon Harvester. Proceeds to reclaim the Allspark (presumably leaving the Fallen stranded), but we all know how all that went.

Upon reactivation after his "death", he goes back to the Fallen and goes with that plan (after all, if the Harvester works, Megatron wouldn't need Sentinel or the space bridge pillars). Well, that doesn't work, so he puts efforts back into Sentinal and his space bridge stuff.

Then the next big hole is the big old attack force sitting up on the moon. Well, I think the PLAN was to pick them up after a big energon recharge (either by getting the Allspark or using the Harvester), after all, Nemesis clearly didn't look to be in any position to move, and it probably takes a bit of Energy to truck through the solar system. I'd imagine some of the attack units in Egypt could well have been launched from the moon (they were able to bring in more troops rather quickly), but given the Fallen's abilities and the plan, it probably didn't make much sense to commit a full force.

After the defeat of the Fallen, I'd GUARANTEE they would have arrayed space borne systems to counter an event like that, from sensors to weapons. I'm sure there wouldn't be a whole lot of hesitation in firing off a few nukes in space. And traditional re-entry would have left most VERY vulnerable to a host of weapons here on Earth. And even a few hours warning would have been enough to array a good amount of firepower against the Decepticons. Which also explains why Megatron was seemingly living in squalor: he was cut off from his support.

11. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I was going to try to be helpful and post the major events in chronological order to see if they make sense (The Fallen builds the Sun Harvester in 17,000 B.C., the AllSpark crashes here around 10,000 B.C., the Ark crashes on the Moon in 1961 A.D., that sort of thing) and I was going to use the wiki as a guide.

But the wiki incorporates everything, including the IDW comics' continuity, the novels' continuity, whatever else, so forget that. You all can figure it out your own selves: Movie timeline - Transformers Wiki

12. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

13. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really think they should make a prequel to type up any of the loose ends, so there aren't any plot holes.

14. Trikeboy

Trikeboy Well-Known Member

Kind of how the plot holes in X-Men got solved with the prequels? Oh wait...

15. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We don't like to remember the Wolverine movie and First Class is more of a reboot then anything.

16. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Brilliant.

17. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    To be fair, some of this was already explained, or could be easily figured out with a little thought.

The Solar Harvester was already on Earth by the time the Allspark was launched. Since the Allspark fed off the energy Solar Harvesters made, it was apparently drawn to the nearest one/last one in existence, meaning the one on Earth.

Megatron and Sentinel knew this and were planning then to meet here. All the other Transformers were searching and it seemed the Decepticons had followed Megatron's signal here, thus I think unintentionally leading the Autobots to Earth, who sent Bumblebee as a scout to see what he could find out. They saw the symbols on Sam's grandfather's glasses on Ebay and suddenly realized HEY THIS IS THE RIGHT WORLD and all came here.

The pillars could be easily explained as well. They had NO CLUE where the Tomb of the Primes was, therefore no clue where the Matrix was. If the Matrix was needed to revive Sentinel, and a Prime was needed to activate the pillars, setting the pillars up in advance was pointless because they had no idea when/if Sentinel would ever come back online without the Matrix.

If they had set up the pillars on earth, then they would be exposed to our atmosphere and be affected by erosion and the likes just as anything else would depending on how long they waited for Sentinel. Meaning by the time Sentinel came back online and it was time for them to activate the pillars, they could be in such a poor condition that they simply wouldn't work.

The first movie also established that Hoover Dam was thick enough to hide the energy signature of the Allspark AND Megatron.