Splinter Cell VS Metal Gear

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ghost Prime, May 14, 2008.

1. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

Ok i cant for the life of me see why anyone cares about Metal Gear Solid anymore since Splinter Cell came aong. I used to Play MGS2 ALL the time and loved it, then my ps2 died and i got an xbox like pretty much most people did at the time...

I got into playing Splinter cell and felt this was the most amazing spy/stealth game ive ever played. you HAVE to hide in the shadows, you HAVE to be quiet, if you do get seen and shot then your SCREWED!, you have to kill quietly, you can use the background to aid you.

I then played MGS3........seriously this is shit! i can see why when the creator of MGS saw Splinter Cell and said 'thats the game i wanted to make' and then started to actually cry...

Theres tons of problems with MGS, for starters the whole gun parts awful! its a random guess to anyone if when you point your gun behind someone if the games ACTUALLY going to do what its ment to do and have the enemy hold his hands up. The background is just awful and seems more like YOUR enemy than actually aiding you. The bad guys seem thick as shit and if you get seen and kill one it seems ANOTHER one just shows up from no were. Combat is seriously piss poor and i mean PISS POOR! ok this was alright with MGS1 on the PS1 back in like 7+ years ago but NOT now. The cut sence parts just go on and on and on an zzzzz...zz..zz.z.zz....
    The controls are awful and really what the hell is the point of hunting and killing wildlife when there AI is as dumb as the rest of the characters in the game. You set the mode to HARD yet when you get shot its like your superman and the pain dont bother you. You try and seek up to a bad guy and grab him yet because the controls are so awful it almost NEVER works and you just end up being seen and shot in the boobs several times while running around in an awful created jungle.

Really what is all the fuss about over the MGS series when its so piss poor compared to the Splinter Cell games and the whole stealth area. In SC if you get seen and shot then your pretty much dead. You have to take enemys away into the shadows, get info off them,kill them and hide the bodys in the darkness and even when you do this all the bad guys seem on edge as someone is missing.......yet the guys in MGS seem so dumb they just walk right over landmines obviously placed out in the open.

Splinter Cell is such a better game and series than the MGS series so wh do people rave on about it so much?

2. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Some people enjoy things that others don't. Personally, I only got into one MGS game, and that was Sons of Liberty. It was pretty fun, had its ups and downs, but I played through it and enjoyed it. However, I never got into any Splinter Cell games. Those kind of games aren't really my style, but out of the two I was able to get more into MGS. I did enjoy watching the raw play of splinter cell, but as per my feelings with both the new MGS and Splinter cell, the games seem more fun to watch than they are to play, but that's just how I feel.

Some people just enjoy one more than the other or enjoy both for what they offer, and it probably isn't a matter of which game has what feature or which game does what better. It's just about what people enjoy. Maybe they prefer Characters, story premise, or things like that. Things that aren't necessarily determined by AI and other numbers.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I LOVE Metal Gear and HATE splinter cell so obviously we have differing opinions...now excuse me while I go start a thread hating on Splinter Cell.

and wrong forum dooz.

4. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

but WHY do you prefer MGS when the games so poor in comparisson to Splinter Cell? seriously the AI for everyone in MGS is awful, the guys might as well be monkeys with guns by the way they act (would be a good cheat)

i just cant see why anyone likes MGS thats all. The controls ae just awful, backgrounds terrible and the cut scenes go on so long i can go and take a large poo for 10mins and come back to find the game STILL talkin about pontless crap that really has nothing to do with the game.

I just want to figure out why with the bad AI, Graphics,Backgrounds,Characters,Enemys,controls that people STILL like MGS when its a badly put together game. i do like SNAKE as a character but thats about it really

5. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

but WHY do you prefer Splinter Cell when MGS is OBVIOUSLY better as stated by one person and therefore conclusive and irrefutable evidence of its superiority?

but seriously, Metal Gear is good game........ the market has spoken.

It has a story so deep it rivals some RPG's , but its a stealth action game. Metal Gear has a giant walking Tank. Metal Gear has top knotch voice acting. Metal Gear isn't based off of a Tom Clancy book. Metal Gear has Solid Snake.

These are reasons to enjoy the game. Also the controls and action arent as bad as you make them out to be.

Gran Turismo is a better driving sim than Mario Kart. But people still like Mario Kart, and applying the same logic you will never figure out why...

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:lol  what?

MGS has character, Splinter Cell doesn't.

MGS has decent mechanics, Splinter Cell doesn't...

etc.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Splinter Cell has good gameplay, but some of the things are very tricky to pull off, it can be VERY slow and tedious, it takes itself too serious at times...Metal Gear Solid is fun to play, open yet challenging, has fun stuff, mechs, cool characters and most of the time a badass plot (MGS2 was even more pretentious then the Matrix sequels though).

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

MGS has personality and an interesting story. Splinter Cell...doesn't.

Different strokes.

9. McBradders

I PREFER CHOCOLATE TO VANILLA!

You all should too.

10. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    ...people rave about MGS because they... um... like it?

Is that it? Did I get it right?

11. McBradders

NO! Banned from thread!

12. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    aww...

Seriously, I love Metal Gear mostly because of the story. Yes, yes, I've heard all the arguments, 'convoluted doesn't mean deep!' ...that's fine. I'm still deeply intrigued by it and I can't wait to experience the conclusion on June 12th.

I know the gameplay mechanics are clunky as hell, but having played Solid 1-3 and genuinely enjoying them, I can't help but get used to them and have a hard time imagining Metal Gear without needing to hold down 7 buttons to shoot a gun.

Splinter Cell just never interested me, but if it does it for you, then good deal. But there're those of us who like us some Metal Gear, let us have it mang.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    ugh. splinter cell.

sam fisher is a terribly boring character. not interesting at all, and a very cookie-cutter personality.

the controls are cumbersome.

the storylines are forgettable, and boring. I cannot remember the storyline of a single splinter cell game.

splinter cell is terrible. it doesnt have the characters, the story, or the production values of MGS. the cinema scenes you complain about in MGS are a big reason people love the series. the games have a great plot that pulls you in and get emotionally invested in the characters. I doubt I'm the only person here who can say that pulling the trigger at the end of MGS3 was the absolute hardest thing I've ever done in a video game. I'm not at all ashamed to admit that the ending cinema of MGS3 made me tear up, either.

splinter cell has not done that, and will never do that.

... and aren't you the "nintendo DS will be a failure or I'll give away my entire TF collection" guy?

14. McBradders

All that and so much more. Drop by GD more often!

15. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I had forgotten about GP's now classic love life threads:popcorn 

good times...

16. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

My opinion is Sam Fisher > Snake. SC > MG.

But what I like has no real bearing on anyone else here.

Though I should mention I enjoy BOTH.

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

lol. Jealous Xbot is jealous over MGS4.

Maybe some people like interesting characters and stories along with their games? Also, MGS is more of a classic type of gameplay, since the series has its roots in the 2d era.

18. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I couldn't get into the Splinter Cell games, I tried. I love MGS. I just have to wait for them to port it over to the 360 (turns blue)

19. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

:rolleyes:  Must every thread have an irrelevant and cheap shot like this?

Anyways, I think the MGS series is way more interesting, Splinter Cell has always been a bore fest. Also wasn't too crazy about the controls on the couple games that i've tried (not that MGS doesnt have its wacky schemes).

20. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

this thread is stupid, and has a big stupid face that's as dumb as a butt.