Splinter Cell Conviction Thread of Sam Fisher's Fury!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Deefuzz, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No thread yet according to forum searches. SO here goes.

Official site here.

2009 E3 Video with Introduction:
    YouTube - E3 09: Splinter Cell: Conviction - Trailer HD 720p -

Trailer:
    YouTube - Splinter Cell: Conviction E3 2009 Trailer [HD] (Rate This Game)

Synopsis:
    "Following Sam Fisher's stint as a double agent, Fisher returns out of hiding having learned that his daughter's death was no accident. Betrayed by the agency he gave his life to, Fisher now finds himself on a mission to uncover the true nature of his daughter's death. He must now stand by his convictions as his investigation leads him to the discovery of a greater conspiracy."

Today Ubisoft sent out a mailing to subscribers detailing the Collector's Edition of this game. This game was due out for a while now (originally due out in 2007), but it looks like February 23rd is the date that it will finally find it's way into the hands of gamers. The Collector's edition includes:

You can see more about that here.

Game is due out February 23, 2010 for Xbox 360 and the PC.

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    In spite of the flaws, in spite of the fact it smells just a little too like another stealth-based franchise, i've always liked this franchise.

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I luv me some Splinter Cell long time! People say it copies Metal Gear but I just say screw that, Metal Gear's stealth is based more on line on sight while Splinter Cell is more about darkness and concealment. Dont mean to make it sound like a Metal Gear bash but I like Splinter Cell's style of stealth more than MGS.

A lotta stuff they show about Splinter Cell Convinction looks awsome, but more gun-ho that what I'm use to. Sorta like R6:Vega's tagging targets, Sam can mark 2 or 3 guys in a room, bust down the door and drop all 3 in the span of a few seconds. That leaves me a bit concerned for how the new one will be played. I hope that it's set up in a sort of way that if you do to decide to go gun-ho that it's a very lethal and dangerous sort of firefight.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Actually looking forward to this, more for the (usually) incredibly inventive multiplayer :) 

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I was a die-hard, tried and true mgs fan. then I played pandora tomorrow. the gameplay is hands down better than mgs, but mgs is by far and away the winner when it comes to storyline.

6. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Liking the look of this.
    Will probably grab it when released.

7. DaggersRage

Hey guys! HEY LISTEN! HEY!

The demo for Splinter Cell Conviction is out now!

I feel a little weird about it though. I can play the game like it's a stealth game (duh) but the game has got the mechanics of a cover shooter as well. Now I luv me some peek & shoot gunfighting, but after playing through the demo, I can see myself going through the game firefight after firefight. I'm also worried that the gunfighting might be too easy. I used an MP5N submachine gun and I've killed enemies in 1 shot, on the highest difficulty, without aiming for the head. The pistol (Im guessing his classic FN 57) also has killed enemies in 1 shot and has unlimited ammo clips. So, the game has a focus on gun combat.

I was able to play through the entire demo doing stealth, but it looks like guns blazing is a choice too. There are some neat things that can be done in the demo as well. If you take down an enemy by hand to hand, you then get the ability to tag up to 2-3 enemies. Once they're tagged, Sam basically quick draw's and kills them all in about 2-4 seconds. Also, during a gunfight, you can fool with the enemies. If you're shooting at the them from cover and duck back into the shadows, they're keep shooting at the location you where at (you also get a schiloute of yourself showing you where the enemy thinks you are), you can flank them with this trick.

There also doesnt seem to be a choice to take out enemies lethal or non lethal as well, Sam just takes them out, some times he shoots them, sometimes he punches them. This sort of change doesnt really bother sense it seems that in the last 2 games it didnt matter if you killed a guy or not. I dont know if I wasnt looking around enough, but I didnt find any way to carry around dead bodies. I'll have to go back an look around again; I find it hard to believe that this game doenst let you pick you corpses and hide them. Also as far as another change goes, ya know those fancy night vision goggles? Well, they're still strapped to Sams head, but they're now just called "Sonar Goggles". You deploy them and it sends out a sonar pulse that marks the enemies in the area for a short time, so Sam is now Batman I guess. Speaking of Batman... The way the levels are structured, they almost seem like Arkham Asylum, you have a large area that enemies patrol, and you stalk around hiding in tunnels, or behind boxes, taking out baddies 1 by 1, or have it be like Gears of War and shoot everyone crazy.

So this game is already the most different of all the Splinter Cell games I have played. I dont mind those changes, but Im concerned that the game is now too easy, especially sense the enemies seem to be made out of paper. I upped to difficulty to realistic and it's cool that I can get killed in 1-3 shots, but I can still drop the bad guys pretty easy.

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    pity i dont have room on my hard drive to download the demo for this T__T

9. DaggersRage

To any who's getting this for the 360... Who wants to play the co-op campaign first before they tackle on the main story? The co-op campaign is actually a perquel.

10. DaggersRage

Well, I found out that you really cant pick up and move around bodies. This leaves me feeling a bit down. Not because the lack of a silly feature, but that they're messing around with Splinter Cell. If you play the demo, you can easily shoot everyone up, and with an unlimtied ammo pistol, why bother conserving your resources and using strategy? The enemies aim is agressive but not accurate, they shoot more to keep you suppressed that to actually shoot you. So there's not that much to fear in the enemy AI. Im not sure Im as eager for the game to come out now, Im going to have at least rent it, or listen to what the reviews say.

11. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

huh, always liked these games, the multiplayer in the last one was fun. i guess ill try the demo out see how much has changed... sounds more shooter-ey from you guys.

12. DaggersRage

I dont mind so much that they made it more shootery, what bugs me is at how darn easy it is.

13. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    well i just got back from renting it so Digital, i'm game on co-op if you aint got no-one else ;) 

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    okay this is a sweet game :p 

ive been on a big "24" kick lately too so im sure that helps but :p 

<3

i may just have to buy this when i get the money :p 

15. DaggersRage

I wont be getting my copy for some time. Someones getting it for me as a late B-Day gift but he's gotta get the money for it 1st.

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    so i finished up the main campaign just now and im kinda left scratching my head.

fantastic, fun game but I couldnt for the life of me really follow or find myself invested the story. Guess thats what I get for not following the other games really

but like i said. Great, fun game! got to do some cool stuff in cool locations so im happy :p 

i just hate that i couldnt follow the story too well [hates probly a strong word but. you get my point]

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Rented this the other day and like Josh said it's fun but I have no idea what's going on :lol  Seems to me like this game is really targeted at a niche audience.

To be honest I prefer R6 Vegas to this, only thing I can say is this is better then Vegas graphically.

18. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Did the sound keep skipping on the opening cinema for anyone else?

19. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    nope

20. DaggersRage

I'm following the story, but what I find is that they are reference a lot of names, A LOT of names. You have to assoiciate those names with those names and just how they're important, I know that sounds obvious but there's alot of people that are referenced that have some role too.

I've only scratched the surface to the co-op campaign, by playing it with Josh (awsome team work BTW!) and wonder if that fills in the shoes to anything. They say the co-op is shorter than the campaign, but those stages are much larger with plenty of enemies. I also like at how the co-op campaign presents itself, it feels solid like the main story.

Also, this game is defantly the most different of all the Splinter Cell games like I said before, and I expressed concerns at how easy the demo was. Well, the game might be easier than Chaos Theory and Double Agent, but the enemy AI arnt the fragile clowns I thought they would be. This game is played more like Arkham Asylum, where you have a larger area that has plenty of different access ways for you to stalk and take out enemies 1 by 1.

I find the gun fighting a little interesting too, as in your shots are rather inaccurate in comparision to most other shooters Im use to playing. Like you should shoot a enemy in the head with a pistol clear across the room, but if you miss, that other guy is way to evasive you follow up shot is more than likely to miss. I mentioned before in the demo enemies would die in 1 shot with my MP5. Some enemies are rather fragile but troopers and armored security personell would take about 3-5 shots for a take down. Head shots are pretty important to score, these enemies are without mercy.

Im not sure at how to think about the enemy when they hunt for you tough. I've had instances where they would walk right by me, and in the light (taking cover though, if I wasnt I'd be spotted for sure). Other times I'd watch them scan every corner, cubicle by cubicle. The way they moved to scan around the enviorment I noticed they moved the same way as some of my fellow airsofters would play at night time games. It was interesting, they've kept me on my toes when they where scanning thats for sure. Sorry I dont know how to explain that last part well, but I was impressed but I dont know at just how effective they are, I would usually play safe and keep my distance. Maybe that shows that they are effective, because I didnt want to do risky things when they where on the prowl.

If your a Splinter Cell fan, I'd say check it out, it's still a stealth gamn, but faster. Also if you'd like the way the stealth was in Arkham Asylum, I'd also recommend to check it out.