Spielberg gave personal input to TFilm1

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Apr 24, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    "Steven Spielberg suggested to the writers the central storyline of "a boy and his car," and read each of their drafts and gave notes on improving the story. Spielberg also encouraged Michael Bay to film most of the stunts live, and keep the use of CGI to a strict minimum."
    Transformers (2007) - Trivia - IMDb

This was before IJ4 burnt him out. Had he at least done this with ROTF and DOTM they might have been marginally better IMO. After all, he is an expert at the charm and magic of fantasy/sci-fi.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    This is old news and common knowledge. It's widely known that Spielberg had a pretty big hand in how TF1 turned out, but Bay pretty much had more freedom for ROTF and DOTM, which is why they're so different from the first film from a cinematic perspective.

Personally, I'd have liked to have seen Speilberg continue to work the same way on the sequels. I think he and Bay together sort of balance eachother out.

3. knightwind12

knightwind12 Well-Known Member

i agree with aernaroth 100%

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    *insert TylerMirage's 89th "THIS" to an Aernaroth post*

5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    True it's common knowledge. It was something interesting I wanted to discuss, as to why Spielberg didn't do the same for the sequels (obviously he had other projects, but he still should have kept a close watch on the project).

"Personally, I'd have liked to have seen Speilberg continue to work the same way on the sequels. I think he and Bay together sort of balance each other out."
    That's actually very true. MBay handled the edginess and action, and Spielberg made it so wondrous and charming. Such a shame.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Could have sworn someone already did a thread about spielberg and bay...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...4025-more-blame-spielberg-than-meets-eye.html

Not quite the same, and farther back than I thought.

I imagine Spielberg wanted to work on other projects, or maybe that acting as Executive Producer left him little time to really work on the ROTF and DOTM like he did for the first film. Or maybe Bay wanted more carte blanche to keep working on the films. Or maybe since the first film was a success and associated with Bay, they wanted Bay to be at the forefront. Or maybe Spielberg was only involved to hedge things on the first film, and with it's success he was no longer required.

There's a ton of possible reasons, I guess. We'll probably never know the full story.

I like to think that if he had stayed on, the 2nd and 3rd film would have kept the idea of a "boy and his car" going, using it as a stronger foil and metaphor for growing up than we ended up seeing in those films. I suppose the end product would have been more of a buddy-pic than the "Sam against the world, guest starring everyone" things we saw. Hopefully, this would also have necessitated making Bumblebee a more vulnerable character than the mechaninja he was on many occassions in ROTF and DOTM, if only to give him a reason to run with Sam while the heavy Autobot hitters join the fight. So you'd have more emphasis on stuff like the Alice subplot in ROTF and the Highway chase in DOTM, and hopefully, an even stronger characterization for both Sam and Bee as they play off eachother. ROTF would have had a theme of leaving home and your friends behind as you grow up, and realizing that your friends are still a part of you, and are not as far as you think when you really need them. And then in DOTM, a theme about how even as your life changes and adulthood means you aren't the same person (and nor can you act the same way) as you were when younger, but that there's always a place in your life for your friends, if only because they've helped make you what you are.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    *sigh* What could have been......

8. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

That's why the first film is much better than the following two.

9. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Not even Steven Spielberg grasped the concept of Transformers. He and Bay just seemed to make the movie(s) they wanted to with Transformers in them, rather than any sort of film adaptation.

The wasted potential still burns...

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That must be why I prefer the second and third movies.