Spiderman: Birth of Venom TPB

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by payres, May 14, 2007.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Birth of Venom showed up from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spider-Man-Birth-Venom-Graphic-Novel/dp/0785124985/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/203-5824321-7183130?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179137240&sr=8-1

Now admitedly the quoted text from above is almost what Marvel used on the back of the book - they add in ASM Annual 25 - but be warned this book isn't 100% as advertised.

Secret Wars 8 is represented with 2 pages worth of material, as is FF 274. ASM 298 is one page, ASM 299 is 2 pages and (the unmentioned here) ASM Annual 25 is just the Venom back up strip. So that's 5 issues advertised on the back of the book as being it that are incomplete, 2 of them early McFarlane ASM that I was looking forward to reading again !

Spectacular Spiderman 100 has 4 pages in and that doesn't get a mention.

The 12 issues that are in there are good, and seeing as the TPB retails for less than the back issue price of ASM 252 it's worth a read.

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I picked this up about a month ago and was a little disappointed. I was expecting it to be a little more in depth than it turned out to be. There was an awful lot of Spidey in the black suit, but very little Venom. I can see a Volume 2 coming out that continues the Venom saga, probably through the intro of Carnage.

3. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well this is just the birth of Venom. I'm glad it was just the pages needed. I don't want to get involved with the other books.

4. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

I got the book to pump myself up for Spider-Man 3 and thought it was an excellent collection.

I'm also glad they only used selected pages from certain issues followed by a few pages of narrative text to get the audience up to speed. I mean, I don't want to read all of Secret Wars #8 since, outside of Spidey getting the suit, the rest of the issue has nothing to do with the Venom storyline and would read very poorly on its own.

I had already read most of the Venom stuff collected (verything but that back-up strip) thanks to the Spider-Man Legends: McFarlane collections. So I was really more interested in Spidey's time spent in the symbiote costume since all that stuff was pretty new to me.

I was surprised at how different the original story was from the adaptations in the 90's cartoon and Spider-Man 3. At least, the big difference I noticed was that the symbiote did not effect Peter's personality at all. It took his body out for midnight stroles while he was asleep, but didn't turn him into a raving lunatic. In that respect, I think the cartoon did it a bit better.

Still a great collection and I do look forward to one more volume that goes up through the birth of Carnage.

Then everything ater that ispretty much crap. I have the Maximum Carnage TPB. It's pretty bad.

5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't mind them having the seected pages. Just don't advertise it as containing those issues as it doesn't have them complete.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, i get what you mean. I had a TPB showing the showing the first appearance of Venom and Spidey's first encounter with him...it didn't show the issue which Spidey got the black suit...just Eddie Brock in the shadows...

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, I actually think that is an angle that the original Marvel comics should have explored. Thankfully, though the original black suited Spider-man did not dance.
    I absolutely hate those five minutes of the movie.:banghead: 

Oh yeah, I got the trade for my nephew for his birthday. He seemed to like it, but I agree they should say they have "issues" when they really have "panels".