Spider-Man gets a sidekick

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Bendimus Prime, Aug 22, 2012.

1. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Eh, the only thing that I really don't like about this, is the name "Andy Maguire" and how they came up with it.

2. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

While I don't mind giving him a sidekick, wasn't the whole point of Spider-man that he was a teenage superhero and not just a sidekick to anyone else? Seems a bit odd to give him a teenage sidekick now.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, same here. The name is really off-putting in its artificiality.

4. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

Yeeea, I have to agree with that. I just wonder how Stan Lee thinks of this himself.

5. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Isn't this kind of what the show "Ultimate Spider-Man" is doing? I haven't been able to watch it, but I've read the related comics, and he's kind of the leader of the other teen heroes, right?

I miss Chat... :( 

6. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    It's just a storyline to give Spidey something new. Think of it, for the longest time, he's been Marvel's loner super-hero, to give him a "sidekick" is just to throw a wrench into the works. If you read the issue
    it's apparently a temporary thing, because the new "sidekick" is a jerk, and kind of looks like he'll end up like a villain or just a plot mechanism to kick off this storyline with Jackal. Marvel's trying too hard IMO, seriously, Alpha class? even deadlier than Hulk etc? Please.

7. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

if he's good he stays. if he's bad, he dies or goes bad and then dies. simple, as, that.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm very worried...the writer Dan Slott is really hyping the 700th issue...sating things that he will have to go into hiding about that issue is released...I hope Petey isn't going to be replaced by this character...:( 

9. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Uh I don't think Marvel will do anything to drastically alter their single biggest cash cow. Even the secret ID went back into the bag after the Civil War reveal.

10. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I hope so dude...Parker revealing his secret identity has got to be one of the dumbest things Marvel has done. Sure, it made for dramatic storytelling but Marvel wrote themselves into a corner...ranks among 'Sins Past' and 'One More Day' as one of the dumbest story lines IMO LOL!

11. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yes, but despite what they kept insisting during the time, I think it was all planned to lead into the eventual Spidey soft reboot Brand New Day, which was what they were after.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The saddest part is that
    the writers actually acknowledge the character is totally like Poochy.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  13. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I'd say Marvel have run out of ideas, but I think we passed that point a long time ago.

14. hthrun

Ebay:
    I like some of their recent ideas, like Spider-Island, Peter working for Horizon, and the latest Sinister Six storyline that I wasn't able to finish. It's too bad they have to mix them with horrible ideas like OMD/BND, organic webbing and stingers, and now this sidekick...

15. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I was down on organic webbing for a long time but they found out larger spiders actually do make webbing at the ends of their feet/legs to help them stick/climb so organic webbing sort of makes sense, at least from a biological point of view.

16. hthrun

Ebay:
    I still dislike it because of a write-up I read back when the first movie came out. I forget the details after all this time, but it showed how Parker would have to eat food nonstop in order to be able to produce webbing. Also, in a human body, where is all that webbing stored?

Those things can probably be overlooked given the subject material, but then I still prefer the mechanical/electrical web shooters for the plot elements. It shows Peter's intelligence by having created them and also being able to mix special kinds of web fluid. And they add drama by being breakable and able to run out...

The one thing that sticks out to me about "The Amazing Spider-Man" movie, though, is
    how would Peter have been able to afford the web fluid he bought from Oscorp? I have to imagine that stuff was extremely expensive...

17. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

In before Green Goblin beats sidekick to death with crowbar.

18. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

From the reactions of this thread, it seems like the people who are actually reading ASM think it will be good since it's written by Dan Slott and the others think it will suck because they hate everything that Marvel does.

I read Amazing Spiderman and am perfectly fine with this new development.

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not necessarily. There's plenty of super heroes that don't have a secret identity. Look no further than the Fantastic 4.

20. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    The difference is that the FF have led very 'public lives' and unlike Parker don't have monetary woes i.e. Parker is just an ordinary joe sans his super powers. That's always been his appeal to comic fans.