Spider-Man: Does anybody care anymore?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Rattrap Primal, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Ok, I stopped reading Spider-Man before Civil War and just detested One More Day, but does anybody still read it now or are we waiting for the next retcon to go back to pre-OMD status quo?

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I stopped reading after the Other. I'd say that I still care, just that I'm waiting for Marvel to get some sense in regards to the character.

Basically though, it'd take them retconning/ending OMD and returning Amazing Spider-Man to an Once-a-month schedule.

3. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

I'm still reading and there's been some good stories coming out of ASM

The last issues dealing with the Rhino were pretty good.

4. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I kinda dug the whole Other storyline and like the new powerset they gave Peter, but I just haven't cared that much lately. In fact, I just canceled ASM from my pull last week because I just can't pay for the terrible art and subpar story thats been going on. The real gauntlet hasn't been about Kraven, its whether or not fans will make it to the end of the story. :lol 

5. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i still care of spidey

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

You know what? I'm sick of all the Spider-man hate since the retcon. Yea, that was a TERRIBLE idea but you know what? It happened, it's not going to change. Every book has had really shitty stories happen and people forget about them over time and this will too. X-Men had Zero Tolerance and my beloved Iron man suffered through Timeslide and Teen Tony.

ASM has been a fantastic book since the BND story. It's had some bad stories but since it comes out every week, the bad stories get flushed out fast and new good stuff takes its place. Instead of suffering through crap for 4 months, it's over after a month. And I'd say that 75% of the stories have been really really good Spidey stories.

I think the only people still complaining about the retcon are those that don't even buy the book. You don't buy it anymore because you hate what they did, we get it. Now shut up and let the rest of us enjoy some quality stories. How long are you going to keep protesting somthing that happened almost 2 years ago?

End rant.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Haven't touched it since just after the norman screwed gwen story line. Read it every couple weeks and give it a chance, but so far not a thing done that makes me interested in spending the money to buy it.

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    You know, I kinda agree with you there. Most people who complain about Spidey also say they dropped the book a while ago. If you dropped the book after OMD/BND, then you're missing out.

9. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I stuck with ASM through "Sins Past" and "The Other", I even read OMD... but that was the final straw for me. I just couldn't stand how badly Marvel editorial kept messing with the stories, and ultimately the character, anymore. And that sucks. ASM used to be my favorite book. I hate that I can't enjoy it anymore. I do still care about the character, but with how bad the story has become, I wont read it anymore.

Sorry if you're sick of seeing people complain about it, but keep in mind, we're fans of the character too, and that is why we keep protesting about it and we have just as much right to complain as anyone has to enjoy what it has become. [/mini rant]

10. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    I was a big Spidey fan and it's the only comic that I bought. After OMD, I tried to read BND but somehow the stories and the new characters didn't interest me. And then I got into Batman....so now I no longer care about Spidey except the USM, but then after Ultimatum, USM is no longer as great as it used to be

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I still read it. I found OMD embarrassing, but apart of that, the stories are still great.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

This.

The only thing i'm going to finger Marvel for is for not capitalising on the restart by doing an Astonishing Spider-Man book.

Sorry, but don't expect anyone to take your protest against a current book seriously when you've not even read it in two years because of pointless fanrage.

13. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I don't read it any more so I guess I don't have any right to complain, but the question was does any one care about Spiderman any more, so I guess my answer is no.

For the record though I didn't quite mavel cos of the bad stuff they did on spiderman, it was genrally being sick of how things had been going down hill, the spiderman stuff just confirmed to me I made the right choice by dropping them.

14. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I do.

*still wants another season of The Spectacular Spider-Man* :( 

15. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

I didn't care until The Gauntlet got started. Then I read the first hardcover collection and was instantly wondering what I'd been missing all this time. So I went back and started to read everything from BND on--and I have to say I'm glad for graphic novel collections because I missed a lot.

16. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Don't be so quick to just dismiss someone's opinion like that. Just because I haven't bought an issue in two years doesn't mean I'm completely out of the loop on the story. I do keep tabs on it through various reviews and stuff online. Like I said, ASM used to be my favorite title, and I hate that I can't enjoy it anymore. It's hardly because of "pointless fanrage", as you put it, that I'm not reading ASM anymore. In my view, Marvel keeps making the story worst, and not buying it is one of the ways I (as well as other fans with similar opinions) can show Marvel I don't like the direction they've been taking the story, as well as by making a protest against it.

And again, if you enjoy this story direction, good for you, but those who don't have just as much right to voice our opinions against it.

17. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I lost interest for the most part after OMD. That pretty much ruined it for me.

18. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Spidey was my absolute fav for my childhood and for most of my older comic collecting life...I stood fast even during the Clone Sage...but it just feels like since Aunt May, Gwen Stacy, and the Osbournes "came back from the dead" it's all been downhill for me. I finally gave up and yes, I still CARE about Spider-Man...but I can't stand the books. They took so many milstones that MEANT something...Gwen Stacy dying because Peter failed and Norman Osbourne's death was pivotal to those earlier days, they helped shape the character and especially his relationship with his best friend Harry...then the on again off again feud with Harry before his demise...finally the PERFECT passing of the torch with Aunt May. Her death was done so well and was the best way possible to remove such a key figure and allow Mary Jane to take up the mantle of Peter's concience.

Then Marvel pulls their "You know all those stories you liked? Yeah, those were all clones, the stories were really meaninglessthanks for your cash though" Because Aunt May was certainly on the short list of people to clone due to her achievements in the area of...um...wheatcakes :p 

It's my biggest issue with Marvel...Death needs to MEAN something. Want to kill a major character for impact? No problem, but it shouldn't be done lightly AND it needs to be permanant or it loses not only its own effect, but the impact the NEXT time they decide to kill a character...In all of Marvel Comics only Uncle Ben stays dead...I can't get into the stories anymore because I just feel like they are going to just hit the reset button on the universe on a whim.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Best petition the staff here to delete any threads in the movie forum about TF07 or ROTF then, eh?
    No?
    Same thing.
    A fuckton of people were really disappointed over the handling of Spidey over the last year or 2. I'm one of them. And if you think for one second I'll stop saying that they've made some shit decisions that led to me dropping Spiderman comics altogether (Marvel in general, in fact, after they fucked up the Ultimate universe as well), you've got another thing coming.

20. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I mostly just read the classics (Masterworks reprints of Lee and Ditko's run from the 60s).