Spider-Man comic strip joins the BND reboot

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Switchblade, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Blog@Newsarama Blog Archive Has One More Day moved to the newspaper?

Readers of the Spider-Man comic strip - yes, it does still exist (apparently) - got a surprise this week as Peter Parker woke up on New Year's Day as a single college student living in Aunt May's house. The comic strip has dropped Spidey and Mary Jane's marriage and moved him back into his aunt's house in order to synch up with the rebooted comic book. So alongside the cancellation of Spider-Girl, Marvel has now fully eradicated every remaining trace of Peter and MJ's marriage. Expect them to come after your back issues with torches and shredders next. :rolleyes2 

The really weird thing is that Pete and MJ only got married in the comics in order to synch it up with their wedding in the comic strip.

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

wow...now there isnt any good SM story to read anymore...

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    No and they refuse to admit the majority of their fan base(at least based on 3 separate polls) were in favor of the marriage. The only Spider-man title I get anymore is ultimate. The attitude of not caring about their readership in favor of stunts is carrying over to the other books as well. I'm dropping Marvel (and some DC) from my pull list more and more these days. I'm down to 2 or 3 marvel titles. The stunts are getting them quick sales increases, but will hurt them in the long run. You can't keep having all these crossovers and no time for the reader to recover from the changes without reprocussions. And new readers don't want to buy 20+ issues to keep up with a crossover they may or may not like.

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Oh. What. The. Fuck!?

5. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Same here. Although I have to say I haven't enjoyed that book as much as I used to since Mark Bagley left. I just don't care for Stuart Immonen's art style. And once Ultimatum is over it sounds like there isn't going to be much left of the Ultimate universe...

Spidey used to be my favorite superhero... but I hate how they've handled the character really from Civil War onward.

6. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    before i say this ive been reading spidey since amazing #200. and continue to read ASM to this day. that said. what i find funny is when OMD happened the outrage of crying and the swears of people dropping ASM and picking up ASG since pete and MJ are still married in that book. here we are 1 year since OMD and ASG is being canceled due to piss poor sales and ASM sales are through the roof. i guess people really do vote with thier wallet

7. Sparky Prime

I think "through the roof" is a bit of an over statement unless maybe if you add up the figures now that the book comes out three times a month instead of just once. But as for individual issue sales... Last year ASM was consistently within the top 10 in sales per month. This year however, individual issue sales have seen a dip falling all the way to #20 in May and July. The book might not be doing all that bad, all things considered, but it certainly didn't do as well as it normally does.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    quoted for fact. Marvel has been misrepresenting it's popularity.

9. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

That's been pretty applicable for most of my comic reading the past year.

10. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    ok but you still cant deny the facts, ASG is still getting canned and ASM is still selling strong despite the fans outcry of "im no longer reading ASM im going to read ASG cause pete and mj are still married there"

11. Sparky Prime

I saw some fans say "I'm dropping all Marvel titles because of this" but that doesn't mean everyone did that. Obviously not everyone that dropped ASM started reading ASG either. Most people that stopped reading ASM I'd have to guess just stopped reading ASM.

And an interesting thing with Spider-Girl, Marvel tried to cancel her before, but fans managed to save her.

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    It's funny. I read the new Spidey strips, and within the span of 2 strips, Stan has done a much better job at this than Joe. He's basically just turned back the clock at the beginning of the new year. Pete is back in college, and is currently dating MJ.

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Does it really come as a surprise that Stan Lee can write this better than Quesada?

14. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

::sigh::

That's all I've got.

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I must be one of the few enjoying the OMD story. year I liked the marriage and though it was dumb to end it but it's been really fun actually. The story has been interesting and nicely paced. They are answering lingering questions like how Harry came back and how Aunt May's house was rebuilt.

And when talking with my comic show owner who has had 2 stores over this OMD story has said people bitched but kept buying.

But gladly ASG is going away. It's been on the edge for a while nad it was just a matter of time before they pulled it. It sucks for the people who enjoy it but it was lucky to last this long.

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love it if when Quesada leaves, the very next month has Spiderman calling Mephisto. When Mephisto shows up, Spidy snapes his neck and this whole alternate reality reverts to the real world and he is married again. A nice big FU to Quesada.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

The cancellation of ASG and OMD ASM have nothing to do with one another. SPider-girl is the main character of the series and she is the draw of the book, not the marriage of Peter and MJ. I read ASM up till the new short lived costume and NEVER read Spider-girl. Though OMD and BND were just confirmation of why I no longer support ASM. Its been shit ever since The Other. But yeah, having ASM three times a month is an interesting way to fudge the numbers.

Edit: I'd like to say that I'm in favor of a single Peter...if they'd done rioght by his character and simply have him go through a divorce. Not make a deal with the devil. Its ridiculous and stupid, but I can understand long time readers sticking with the book. Hell, I'm sticing with Uncanny despite its current low point.

18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But having May around means that Peter & MJ are married. If Quesada is so set against them being married, it had to be gotten rid of. The fact that ASG had low sales was a plus to get rid of the series and not lay the total blame on the marriage. So either get rid of the book or change history and make her the kid of an unmarried Pete & MJ. Pete could then be a looser at 50 still living in his mom (Aunt May)'s house.

As for divorce, that would have been a better way to get rid of the marriage. Sure it would have pissed off people but it would get Peter single again and would have been realistic (50% of marriages end in divorce now a days). It could have even been a story of Pete divorcing MJ to protect her, thinking that driving her away will lessen the chance a villian will kill her. Divorce out or love I guess.

19. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

The only person who can undo Brand New Day is Sam Raimi. Think about it. If he pushes for Peter and MJ to get married in Spider-man 4, then Marvel will probably follow suit and reverse things in the comics. Comic publishers always try to mimic what's on the big screen and this will be no different.

20. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Hell, it just could've been a story of MJ not being able to handle the marriage anymore. Its strange that after all the work to bring MJ and Peter back together the marriage is "erased".

Though, ASG is set in an alternate universe. I just don't see how a married Peter and MJ in that universe contradicts the "erased" marriage in 616. The two really have nothing to do with one another. May is essentially like Rachael Grey.... The daughter of Peter and MJ IF they had a child. Quesada is an idiot for implying that the low sales of the book having anything to do with the marriage of peter and mj. Low sales killed the ASG because the majority of readers are not interested enough in a Spider-girl/woman to support their book.