Spicy Foods - how high is your tolerance for them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IceMagnus, Jul 18, 2016.

1. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

There's white people spicy then there's brown man spicy.

I grew up with my peeps from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Thailand etc. They're mothers trained me well.

I eat it properly too and have jalapenos or whatever pepper you serve and have it on the side as well then eat take a bite at it with each spoonful of the spicy food.

I think I'm at Habanero.

Never tried Ghost pepper but would love to eat to have it with some wings.

Wait. Ranch is spicy?

2. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    spicy threshold: brown asian

3. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Intake I'm good at it's the *ahem* other part that burns like hell. I can do 911 sauce at Hooters but I'm more comfortable at Three Mile Island.

4. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

1,000 - 2,000 Poblano Pepper is my base and 100,000 - 200,000 Jamaican Hot Pepper is my max in Scoville heat units. Anything hotter than that is unappealing- and though I've ventured into slightly hotter territory for fun or on a dare- its just not enjoyable long term.

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Well. I never knew that pepper should be spicy. I don't find Jalapenos spicy. It's seldom I notice heat from spicy food in my mouth. I once ate something around 250.000 scoville. That was hot and I ate a bit slower than usual.

12 years ago I drank a bottle of Tabasco because my best friend bet someone else that I don't find it spicy. She won.

His eyes were popping out and he told me that I must have a stomach of steel :lol 
    He did the same before and felt very baaaad :lol 

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Jesus, I'd be a two pot screamer by white boy standards, I wouldn't even make it through a qualifier to brown man chili-Olympics.

[​IMG]

7. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Try Indonesian sambal's. There's a billion variations, all super spicy by western standards.

For what I can get in the EU for import, Cap Ibu's sambal hijau is my fav. Also known as sambal padang in Indonesia itself.

[​IMG]

8. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Fun thread. :) 

Moderately high for me. I used to really love spicy food, but maybe a bit less now. Still love wasabi, etc. But I won't automatically go for the suicide wings on a menu... Usually. :) 

I doubt I'm at "brown man" levels but when I was teaching in South Korea, the locals were apparently impressed by my taste for spicy food, for a white man, anyway. When I was at Joecon in Dallas my buddy Esvan (Phantro Customs) took some of us to a Thai place... I usually love spicy Thai food but this was borderline too much for me, lol.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I was wondering when you'd get here and spice-shame us all.

Ghost Pepper sauces can be really good, I find there's a good 'natural' taste to the ghost pepper beyond just the oily "burn" that a lot of other peppers have. I'll fully admit I have to pay a pretty steep price when I eat ghost pepper stuff though, it's way beyond a habanero.

10. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

If you ask my family, I have a steel gut and a mouth with zero nerve endings left.

But, the relatives speak... relatively. ;) 

Fact is, they have ZERO tolerance for spice. I mean, they complain about the "spice" of a standard McChicken sandwich from McDonald's. Not the "spicy" version, the regular version. I look at them and say, "That's... black pepper in the breading."

Despite my family's beliefs, I am under no illusions about my ability to handle spice. Do I like a little spice? Sure. I prefer the hot taco sauce on my tacos (but if it is chunky salsa, I go down to medium), I like nacho cheese to be zesty, and a little wasabi on my sushi is part of the experience (but I don't want so much that it feels like the top of my head is coming off and it clears my sinuses for a week).

I like spice when it brings flavor to a food. I don't like when spice just brings heat and pain, which is the direction a lot of foods have gone for a while, it seems. My level is that I enjoy up to a jalapeno level, preferably cooked. After that, not so much.

I don't use Tabasco Sauce, not because of the heat, but because I find that it tastes so sour that it obliterates the taste of whatever it is on. There is a green Tabasco Sauce that isn't bad, though.

11. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim Veteran

Mine is pretty darn high. Ghost chilis are pretty intense but tolerable. I actually have dried ghost chilis in a grinder on my desk at work and another at home. I really want to try a carolina reaper. We have close friends that own a Thai restaurant and they actually make my food proper Thai-hot, not white person Thai hot like at most other Thai restaurants I go to. Every meal has to have something spicy on it, generally the hotter the better. I don't really think of jalapenos as hot, just a good flavor.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Actually went to India about five years back for one of my best friend's wedding. I was only prepared because his mother and grandmother had spent years pouring Indian cuisine down my mouth whenever I'd stay at his place in middle school/high school. It was most certainly an experience and I'll add that India is one of the few places i don't mind eating vegetarian.

Love Wasabi coated peanuts and on various foods in general. My wife had some at a sushi place once and thought she was going to die. And it was a good sushi joint too where all the flavors are well balanced.

Ghost pepper is great. At our local ren fair we have a performer named Johnny Phoenix and he sells his own brand of hot sauces. I usually stock up on his ghost pepper sauce because I know of no where else I can get it locally.

13. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

I'm brown but I can't handle tabasco as much as dad or bro. They eat that stuff like it's nothing but I can't. #teamketchup

14. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely this except I'm almost tempted to add "my butt" to that list. :p 

15. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim Veteran

That can definitely be a limiting factor!

16. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Especially when sitting.

17. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Resident couch potato

Probably not very high lol I'm just now starting to like jalapeños every now and then...but sometimes I get brave and try something else hot like what I did on vacation to Austin a few weeks ago. Stopped at a Plucker's wing place and wanted to sample their fire in the hole sauce, hottest on the menu...they brought out the little cup of sauce with celery sticks and I put a frickin lot of it on mine. We were with some friends and a few of us did it together. It was like the sun crapped out a fire ball in my mouth it was so hot :lol  but surprisingly pretty good. Would I try it again no... The jokes that followed as to why it was called fire in the hole were hilarious though :lol 

18. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Came across a guy who claims to be gargeling a whole bottle of Plutonium hot sauce (9million)

Either its fake or this guy has no taste buds or nerve endings left
    How did his throat not close up???

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQUcyKwwak

19. IceMagnus

IceMagnus SSJIcey'95

News Credits:
  20. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Next to zero tolerance. It just gets me like a fire in my very neural clusters!