Spending money on TF's - We are such hypocrites (well maybe I am)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I have been debating over getting Hercules at $600 or not. At the moment it is $100 a figure and it will add up to $600.

At first I am saying, hell no, way to expensive. But then I look at my collection and think, wait, well, why the hell did I spend:

- $200+ on all the addons from Crazy Devy for Devastator?
    - $100 on Warbot Defender?
    - $90 on Reflector?
    - $110 on the Bruticus Crossfire sets?
    - $70 on he Superion Add on set?
    - $170 on the full Ultra Magnus set? (that was a steal now)
    - $250 on MP-04?
    - $80 on ML Soundwave?

So on and so on. I mean just that short list right there is $900. So isn't hypocritical for us to complain about cost when we spend so much anyway?

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I will spend $600 on one figure really. I mean I am not really going to be posing him as 6 individual figures.

TBH, I know this is blasphemy to say, but I think I would almost prefer a Devastator that does not transform for $250. It should be articulated though. I mean, aren't most of us going to be posing him in combined form? So the whole 1 figure at a time thing is good for that month that it stands by itself. Later on, the individual figures don't matter. Unless you're really rich and you buy 2 to open.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's somewhat hypocritical, but people justify spending money in different ways.

3. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is spending $25,000 on a diamond any better or worse? If you like something and it is worth it to you, then it doesn't matter how much it costs.

Personally, I would not spend a penny on the TFC Hercules until I see some quality reviews, but thats just me. As far as the individual bots, I would buy one set and just transform them and change the display as I see fit. I don't see the need to buy 2 and display in both modes, but thats just me.

4. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

i already have a pretty decked up devy with all the crazydevy parts so that's why i'm skipping not-devastator

5. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    It is not the $100 people are worries about. As you said 3rd party fans do that often.

It is the psychology that once you start you are in for $600. People are trying to swallow the whole pizza at once instead of slice by slice.

6. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

If anything, I think a listing like that just makes complaining about price that much more justified ("Look at how much money I'm spending; I wish I didn't have to spend so much!").

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What sucks about it is not getting that money back when we sell things off.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    If what you say about 250$ nontransformable is true, then it does not define transformers. If people are ok with that, Action masters ought to be the best toys for collectors.

For me, while I display certain bots in certain forms, I always prefer the option to transform him. He is not a complete bot unless he transforms.I figured that's what a transformers ought to be. That is the one "homage" that no transformers can live without.

as for why people complain about 600$, its all in the mind. It really is. Different people justify/rationalize it differently though.

9. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

im just not doing it. too expensive.

10. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:

Hey Alucard,as you say it is what it is,for you spending $600 for a single figure may be a lot to spend but if you want it I say buy it,but for me personally I just couldn't pay that for two reasons.One is with a monthly income of about $600 before bills come due it would take 4 or 5 months to save up that much for the figure,which really I have very little patience to wait that long,and two is back to my impatience habit I would rather spend my money now for affordable figures like the new DOTM stuff.So in closing I just say if you want that Hercules figure I say go for it,its your money.

11. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only one comparable on that list is Crazy Devy. For the rest you could both read reviews before deciding to buy. Here, once you drop the $100 on the first figure and then $100 on the second you're almost commited to buying the whole thing without knowing how it'll turn out. But on the flip side, if you wait too long you may miss out or have to pay crazy prices for the 1st two figures once the entire figure is complete.

12. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Totally agree with the bolded part (as well as the rest). Just recently got all engaged up, and, no, I don't like diamonds, but love my girlfriend. Just like I don't even really LIKE toys in general, but LOVE collecting Transformers.

As for Hercules: I want him, but, honestly, thread after thread about it's price is just making my anticipation for the figure dwindle. It's almost like people take their own insecurities about spending the money and make a big public deal about it... repeatedly. It sucks, and makes a figure that seems like it's going to be nice have a bad taste to it bc of the price point creating such a big deal throughout the fandom :( 

13. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I hope it doesn't come off as complaining. I am just having an inner struggle with it, and I thinking, why am I such a hypocrite? I mean I spend money on all this and struggle to justify this purchase.

It may also be that time where I have to start thinking on what I am going to be spending money on this year, especially since there is like $2,000 worth of stuff to come out this year that I want.

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    I don't think it's as much a matter of spending all that money as it is spending all that money at once.

15. MrSneis

MrSneis Build Giant Robot!

News Credits:
    If you look at it from what else you can get as opportunity cost, it looks like your collection has some great pieces already. So would you rather have/be getting more of all those great pieces or ONE devy? For me the answer is easy!

I know value is up to the individual though; that one Devy may bring you more overall satisfaction than all those other figs, but that's up to each person to decide for themselves.

Collecting these things requires some serious prioritizing!

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While $600 all at once sucks, I'd rather them release it all at once. This way I know 100% it will all come out and I will get them all. Nothing would suck more if one or more parts sell out before you get one. What would you do with the rest. Also, it would suck if for some reason, they stop releasing them before completed.

17. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Just because something is WORTH it to you what you spent on it doesn't mean it is not incredibly overpriced and these are. $100 is more than what Hasbro MP Grimlock, Starscream and Skywarp cost. I mean come on. Compare any of those to Exgraver. Hell, for $600 you could get 4-5 MP figures. I think the end product here is what is important but it certainly is not worth $600.

I pre-ordered it even after doing my share of whining. I don't usually buy much 3rd party stuff. I have the income but it just means I have to not buy any boxed G1 for a while which sucks. Not entirely sure want to do that but we will see.

This one is real crap shoot. You really do not know what you are going to get but if you don't fork down the $$ you might be paying a TON for it later. Tough call.

18. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Honestly man, the way I do it is having the mentality of, "It's money... I'll see it again in two weeks... when will I have the opportunity to get this figure at this price?".

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with the "it's money" part and I usually justify with, shit as soon as I get it, I will forget what I spent. I usually do. I think I just have to lose the list where I keep track how much I spent.

I looked at it the other day and was like, oh shit, for the amount I spent this year, I could have done the central air for downstairs!

20. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

this.
    it's the fact that people are fearing spending $600 on what amounts to one(incredible) figure, versus multiple items spread out over $600
    I'm putting some deployment money towards this monster, so it"s not a big deal to me.