Speeding ticket advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ranoobu, Jan 4, 2008.

1. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Sounds like an excuse.. rought week.. too much on my mind and wasn't paying attention... oh well..

Anyone beat a traffic ticket in the states and have any advice on how to do it?

I could go to traffic school (California allows that), but it would be great if anyone else had any other advice or resources that I could look into to beat a traffic ticket?

Google wasn't my friend today..

Edit: Can we not turn this into one of those "I hate speedsters" threads please?..

2. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Stop speeding? Best way I know.

3. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

Bawahaha ditto. Although I admit I do speed sometimes on the highway- but that's to keep up with traffic x_x.. 80 on Baltimore's parts of I95 = scary.

4. ranoobu

News Credits:
    I saw this one coming.

I guess no matter how i word my post, someone will still post this.

5. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    How fast?

6. ranoobu

News Credits:
    He said i was going 56 in a 40

7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    As one who, on a daily basis, has to listen to people come up with perfectly legitimate reasons why they do not deserve a traffic citation, and why the rules do not apply to them, especially in regards to the citation they have crumpled in their fist, to you I say tough cookies.

8. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    Not to be an @ss or anything, but honestly, I dont have alot of sympathy for people who get speeding tickets mainly because it is so easy to avoid getting them.

However if I was in your shoes, I would ask myself this:

Is it really worth it to fight it? Is it worth your time and energy to go to court and fight it, or is it just easier to pay it and be careful next time?

9. ranoobu

News Credits:
    I understand how you feel. But i'm not the type to cause a fuss to the police officer who pulled me over.. nor do i crumple up my ticket in anger and yell at people.

I'm only asking if anyone has any advice or how to beat a ticket who has received a ticket..

10. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

As much as I would love to say it's a smart ass post, it's really not. Stop speeding and it's amazing that you won't have to be bothered with tickets. I have 3 police officer friends and a family member. I've heard every excuse in the book doing ride alongs with them and they are all lame. You break the law, pay the fine. Obviously you are already admitting guilt so I don't see the need to "beat" the ticket. There is NO valid excuse you can use. There can be somewhat valid reasons for speeding, but no matter what what, speeding is still illegal. If you go to court over it you better have something other than an excuse, otherwise the court will side with the officer every single time.

11. ranoobu

News Credits:
    Before this thread goes into another direction.. i haven't gotten a speeding ticket in 5 years nor do i normally speed. This was just one of those weeks that you don't encounter often in life that feels like it snowballed. I lost 2 friends this week that i'm not going to discuss.

I just didn't think I'd needed to give more info than just to ask a simple question..?

Driving just becomes second nature to most of us and you just don't pay attention sometimes. the street i was on is also a freeway(highway) or something that allows you to go 50. and it stopped being one at a certain point. which is why the motorcycle cop was waiting at the other end.

12. ranoobu

News Credits:
    Thank you for the advice. I'm sorry I offended you.

Does anyone else have any other advice different from this?

13. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Not really. It's like a parking ticket in that the time/effort spent fighting it is usually not worth it. I'd say just pay the fine.

14. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Dude, suck it up and do the traffic school and be more weary next time. When I got a speeding ticket years ago, I also was having the shittiest week ever. My car had been towed earlier that same week and had alot of other stuff going down. It happens. Your best bet is to just go with the school and move on and deal with other things.

15. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    There really is no way to beat it. Nor should you, in my opinion. I would say just pay it and move on.

16. ranoobu

News Credits:
    Yea sounds good. Suck it up and eat my tough cookie

Thanks for listening and the advice, everyone

17. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Okay, fair enough. But keep in mind, by the very nature of this thread, you are fussing about it.

The first step is to come up with a perfectly legitimate reason why the law does not apply to you in the instance for which you were cited.

The second step is to hope and pray the officer who issued the citation doesn't show up at court.

The third step is to do your best to convince the judge that the citation was issued in error.

That's really the only legal way to beat a ticket.

18. ranoobu

News Credits:
    English is a second language to me.

Maybe the word beat it sounded bad. Maybe the whole idea is beating a ticket is bad.

In that case, I apologize again. I know it's tough enough for the officers out there.

19. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:

If anything, they court will just lower the fine and not add demerrits to your license. I have a friend who always fights tickets in court (i think its like some sick pleasure thing for him or something) and if he does "win" that is the verdict usually.

Someone "not paying attention" ran into me while I was crossing the street during a crosswalk light 6 years ago. I had to go to 4 month of rehab afterwards.

But again, honestly, just pay the fine and be careful next time. Its not worth your time, or the courts.

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Okay, the only time I've ever beaten a speeding ticket is when I genuinely wasn't guilty. I went in, well dressed and groomed (who the fuck thinks wearing a basketball jersey to court is a good idea?), and politely explained that I wasn't speeding. When asked why I didn't say so at the time of the ticket, I said that I didn't think it was appropriate to argue with the officer on the side of the road--the courtroom was the correct venue for a dispute.

--No, really, I wasn't. It was night time, it was raining, I had out-of-state plates in a rural county, and I think the officer wanted some non-local revenue. Or maybe he just pulled over the wrong car, I don't know. But I sure as hell didn't suggest that he was lying or mistaken. I just said that I wasn't speeding.

I honestly don't think that there's another way to do it. It's fundamentally your word against the officer's, and all other things being equal, the judge will trust them every time. If you were speeding, and you think you're a solid liar and you have a clean record, it might work for you.

But instead of trying to beat it, I'd probably just plead nolo and be done with it. It's a hassle, but you'll avoid some points and it usually reduces the fine.