speed racer theory

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, May 21, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have a theory about Speed Racer's less than stellar record at the box office.

the Wachowskis made it.

i am thinking after the abysmal work on Matrix 2 and 3, that people had not forgotten and were wary of trusting them with this franchise.

if they had made Speed Racer before the matrix sequels, it might have ridden the wave that the original matrix created and done better.

just a theory...until a film studio tells me it is a fact or someone proves me wrong.

2. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

I think it has more to do with how it looks. I had absolutely no interest in it. It just looked like Spy-Kids 3D with a coat of Speed Racer paint however I was dragged to it with some friends on cheap Tuesday and surprisingly enjoyed it greatly. I mean, shit, Car-Fu.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

That and V for Vendetta was shitty thanks to their taint too.

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I disagree that V for Vendetta was bad. I actually really enjoyed that movie, but I never read the comics so I have no idea how accurate it is. Furthermore, while I really disliked the Matrix sequels, I still feel that they were visually stunning. Speed Racer just had the wrong actors and bad story line, but visually, it was great.

5. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Well I steered away from it only because from the few trailers I was confused whether it was a more of an adult (Matrix) film or kid film (Spy Kids). Plus how many hero movies are coming out this summer! Iron Man, Batman, Hulk and Indiana Jones. I seriously doubt most kids know who Speed Racer is.

After seeing Matthew Fox and Emilie Hirsch plug the film on talk shows the last couple of weeks, I am really interested. I did not even know they were playing it at IMAX theaters. It seems like a solid popcorn flick, so while my wife is watches American Idol tonight I am going to the local IMAX.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think Speed Racer just couldn't compete with the hype machines of Iron Man and Narnia. If the movie would've opened in Jan. or Feb. then it probably would've done better...certainly better than its current total.

7. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? V for Vendetta was an awesome film. They did make a lot of changes from the comic, but still, awesome film.

With Speed Racer, I'd have to say it's the look that have people thinking twice about seeing it, but I still went to see it and I have to say it was better than I was expecting.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think it was mostly name recognition.
    Superhero movies are a big deal these days and it opened pretty much against the Iron Man hype.

I think another factor (probably a smaller one) is the new Speed Racer cartoon on Nicktoons. My kid has no idea who Speed Racer is and then before we go see the movie he sees the new Speed Racer cartoon on Nicktoons.

Not only does it have horrible voice acting but it has worse flash animation than the Esurance commercials.
    My kid turned it off which is a rare thing for him to do.
    I wonder how many kids saw that as their first exposure to Speed Racer and then were like "no thanks" in regards to the movie.

9. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Sounds like a bunk theory to me....

10. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can imagine PART of it having to do with the W Siblings being the creative force behind it. However, I think MOST of it has simply to do with the fact critics aren't "hip" or knowledgable on the pop culture behind Speed Racer. The film is so different and styled that I think it scares them that it's actually a solid film. If they didn't pan the thing then the public might have been more accepting/reassured. The critics basically played on the publics fears, which most of them were skeptical of the quality of Speed Racer film to begin with. One other major factor is probably the fact that MOST critics are not from the generation that grew up with Speed Racer or Transformers. They just don't understand these things at all, and don't understand that a certain level a camp has entirely to do with the source material. The film is fucking great, awesome cinematography, amazing style, tight story (runs a tiny bit long in a place or two), and all around a nice package. It's a load of rubbish to believe that the film is terrible just because a bunch of panty waist critics can't get past their own preconceived notions of what makes a good film.

11. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

i thought it was a great flick......reminded me of when i was a kid....
    ::chyock chyock chyock:: love that sound

12. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

The movie going public is stupid. Idiots that will pay to see the same tired reused plots again and again, with the same overpaid actors. As someone previously said, it's a machine. Every now and then something will slip through the cracks, but for every Speed Racer you have Sex and the City and Weekend at Vegas. Enjoy the movies you like while you still can, before the good writers and directors are out of a job.

13. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I agree with what is said here. You give sheep something different and they run away. Its the reason why we cant have nice things!!

I loved how the style of that movie looked, but your Joe Average saw a glimpse of it and immediately thought "omg!11Thiss mov1e is 4 kidz cuz itz leik a kartoon!!1 m i rite??1!1".

14. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

It's been pointed out at Rotten Tomatoes that critic reviews and public reviews are drastically different on this movie.

I don't agree with the "critics are old" argument. I don't think that's fair.

15. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I have a theory about Speed Racer's less than stellar record at the box office, as well.

It was a terrible idea, no one wanted a movie based on it, and everything since the original ("classic", albeit cheesy) cartoon has been utter fail.

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Too much colors and I dont think that the fan base for that show was ever as big as it was for TFs, Marvel characters or DC characters. Shit, I dont think it became even close to being as popular as the Power Rangers and Pokemon, so I could see how it wouldve done less than expected.

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I didn't know until this thread that it was the Wachowski brother and former brother.

So that's not it.

18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a lot of good reasons on this thread, but I think the biggest thing is being released at the wrong time. Now, I don't think the fan base was actually big enough for it to be a blockbuster ticket seller, and I also wasn't crazy about the trailers in general because it almost looked like it could be something along the line of the Flintstone movies (which I didn't like despite them making money). But I saw Speed Racer thanks to some friends and I ended up enjoying it a great deal.

The thing is, it only had one possible weekend it could be in the limelight, but that was the weekend following Ironman, and that was still going too strong. I think if it was released a month earlier or had at least one week before the juggernauts like Ironman hit, I think it would have had much stronger box office showings. I don't think the W brothers had much to do with its sales. If anything, the people who knew they were invloved became more interested. V for Vandetta was a good movie, and the Matrix sequels did amazingly well sales wise, so I don't think Hollywood studios are casting ill lights over the W Bros.

19. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    You take that back!

20. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

And that's Numberwang!