Speed Racer - Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by n_tel_ekt, Oct 13, 2008.

1. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

It may just be me, but I just watched this over the weekend and its one of my all time favorite films (suprisibngly so)... John Goodman in a matrix/cartoon style fight scene seals the deal by itself! This is literally a living cartoon and you can tell the directors really love the old show and wanted to bring the spirit of it to life on screen. Its just a REALLY FUN movie to watch. Damn, after seeing this, I wish the new ThunderCats would be directed by the Wachoski Bros. too (and in live action!)... So anyway, SPEED RACER = Insanely fun and enjoyable movie! Anyone agree???

Oh, I didnt watch the special features of the dvd? anyone wanna comment on that part?

2. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw it for free...

and I still feel ripped off.

3. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I still haven't watched this yet. I can never get motivated enough to try it.

4. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

I don't see what was wrong with it.
    It was a live action episode, only longer. I think people are over thinking the movie way too much.
    Growing up watching the show, it was exactly what I had thought it was going to be.

5. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

It amazes me how divisive this movie was. Everyone I know that saw it either loved it or absolutely hated it. Just interesting how some movies seem to be like that.

This is exactly how I felt, and I would have bought the DVD already but am waiting to get a PS3 so I can pick up the Blu Ray.

6. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

I enjoyed it. It was a fun movie that was not meant to be taken seriously.

7. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    This. I thought it was great.

8. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

I have to watch it at work constantly (its in a blu-ray dvd player demo on a 720p 23" HD TV). Ya know what my opinion is: its a good movie.

9. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

I thought it was good

10. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 "Ambitiose Sed Ineptum"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I only have 2 problems with the movie:
    1-they had to put that @$#%@^ monkey in it......
    2-the mach 6, god is that the most re-goddamndiculous looking car I've ever seen....

Otherwise, it was apretty good movie, and it was about what I expected it to be.

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I was off of work sick this past week and my brother lent me a copy to pass the time. I never liked the show that much but I have to say I LOVE the movie. A lot of producers/directors flop when they go from R-rated stuff to kid's movies and vice versa, but the Wachowskis proved to me that they've got the gusto to make an enjoyable movie, no matter the audience.

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I honestly was dragged to it with some friends, but ended up really enjoying it. The story was actually decent in an over the top way, there were action scenes that seem almost TOO good for what you expect from a Speed Racer, and it was just a lot of fun. It's also nice and rare to see a movie that doesn't cater to the teen angst crowd, especially a racing one, and ESPECIALLY a racing one that isn't trying to advertise cars and fashion.

13. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I loved the movie. It's sad it got a bad rep based on the previews and it carried on.

14. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

yeah I love the movie I need to pick it up on dvd if only to watch the final race scene.

as someone who grew with this show,-I mentioned it before mexico is stuck in old school cartoons and shows- I can say I loved the movie, my dad did too.

I know its a divisive movie, if anything the art style was REALLY polarizing, but if you get over it, Its actually a pretty good movie.

15. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved this movie. A live action anime is what it was, and I think its fault is that its ahead of its time.

16. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I absolutely loved every second of Speed Racer. I almost like it better than Iron Man. And it's so beautiful on Blu-Ray. It definitely got a undeserved bad rap and it's poor timing (a week after Iron Man's release) spelled box office disaster.

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Yep. QFT.

Somewhere around here there's a thread from when it came out in the theatres that was pretty much about how people either liked it or disliked it.

18. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I watched this Sunday. I'm glad i didnt went to the theater for this movie. Its....funny, i give that but i didnt like it.

19. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Funny, I saw this for the first time this weekend too. My son has been begging to see it for a while so we Netflixed it. I wasn't really looking forward to it beforehand, but it kind of won me over. The story wasn't interesting to me, the dialogue was a mess, and the acting felt forced like a lot of them were trying too hard to mimic the cartoon. And yet, it was so visually compelling that in spite of all the flaws I still overall liked the movie.

20. gil

gil Godmaster

I netflixed it too. Funny thing is that most brand new movies have "waits" before I get my hands on it, but not Speed Racer. As soon as it came out, it was always available. it sucks if you think about it.

Anyway, good movie, but to bright for me. I get motion sickness, just like playing Metroid Prime. But that's just me, and I did enjoy the movie, I just had to look away a few times.