Speculations about Next time on Lost Light.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Dropkick, Jan 4, 2018.

1. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mr. Chaos is like, what if the Knights have both the moral authority and the more-or-less omniscience necessary to pass judgement on the crew, and what if there judgement is, "you guys suck pretty bad, here's all the stuff your sinful ways have screwed up", and what if that shames the crew and inspires them to do better.

But no, you're right, think about the characters who have presumed that knowledge and authority. There's Sunder, who's like, "I am Mortilus's vessel, he speaks through me, I am the instrument of his will!", and who has the ability to read your unconscious mind and confront you with whatever repressed secrets will shame you to death. And there's Tarn, who presumed himself to have perfect knowledge of Megatron's will and the authority to act as the implement of his justice. And Overlord, who has the outlier ability to look into your soul use what he finds there to gleefully crush you (and who used that ability against the staff and inmates at Garrus-9 under the assumption that his depravity would provoke Megatron to make himself present, i.e., he assumed that he understood what Megatron really wanted despite Megatron specifically being the only person his ability didn't work on). Those characters are pretty bad. Tarn was so bad that his torments managed to break Skids's faith in Primus -- how could anyone believe in a God that would allow such suffering? And look at Tarn and Overlord's fates, they were both shown up by the revelation that they didn't really know what Megatron wanted at all. (And, is Sunder going to meet Mortilus, and discover that the are not actually on good terms? Between the upcoming encounters with Cybertopia and Unicron it's not impossible.)

So the book is always like, don't presume you act on behalf of a higher power, whether religious or secular, it's always bad, it will always disappoint you, and it just makes you a fascist or a fanatic or a dupe.

The book ignores the possibility of knowing full well that the Other can offer you no guarantee (that the Other is dead, that the Other does not actually exist) yet acting out of faith anyway. Rational-pleasure-seeking is only to be forgone when the ideal life (which, I take, is supposed to be a sitcom life) aboard the Lost Light is disrupted. Something better than that life? Seeking that can only lead to Holocaust or Gulag.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Cyclonus killing Whirl in the final issue as a means of closure and it's totally gonna be a 4th wall breaking thing kinda like the ending to the Futurama episode "Three Hundred Big Boys".

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

What wonderful and awesome Ideas ! They make my heart leap for joy. ^^ At the moment I have now reached the point where I do not know exactly what to make out of the current Tf series. But your ideas sound "fresh", unconventional, full of fun and action. In any case; I would be eagerly (and with great interest) looking forward to each single Tf comic series again.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos New Holder of the Matrix of Leakership

News Credits:
    All writers have a tract, as it were, when it comes to how they view authority, power, and command. Frank Miller believes that the world would be paradise if one single man was given the power to do whatever he wants but this never happens because society as a whole can't handle the messiness that would start with this (see All Star Batman and Robin, Holy Terror, so on). Roberts idolizes the rebel who fights against the power but believes that each and every time the rebel is doomed to become the very monster they fought and thus life is a never ending cycle of your hopes being raised that this time will be different only for the hero to yet again become the villain (Rodimus as the charming captain who lied about bringing Overlord onboard, Tyrest was the one being who could get Optimus and Megatron to come to a table to talk and he turns out to be a monster who wants to murder half of his race, Star Saber is a zealot, Megatron is bad and horrible but now that he is good we can idolize where he started and oh wasn't he so amazing writing his poetry?, that really nice seantor that helped Optimus becomes Shockwave). Roberts loves the little guy, the underdog, but the moment they win they must then be corrupted.

And I'm not one to talk. A recurring theme in my writing, I admit, is the reluctant king who only takes power because no one else will but who sneers at rulers who rule from up high and who rule from the trenches rather than the throne.

That is why though that I think Roberts should fight his first instinct and make the knights noble. Because we can all see the twist that they are evil coming a mile away. Will anyone be shocked when they are revealed to be the QUints? Or another Tyrest or Tarn? Just more extremists who were once good but 'oooh, power corrupts!'. By making them live up to every legend and making the twist be that there is no twist it would open up the story, surprise the audience, and frankly breathe life into the series. Because right now the formula is pretty simple to understand:

-Introduce character who is in power

-Reveal that character in power fought against forces that wanted to do harm and said character just wanted to make the world better

-Oops, character has gone power mad, they are the evil ones now!

-Rinse and repeat.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stryyder

Stryyder Just another soldier

As far as the Scavengers I can't help but think random portal out of nowhere is very Necrobotish. Did the gang back on Necroworld repair his gadgets and, for some reason, go after the scavs? Or did Megatron find a Brainstorm in FC Cybertron, explain the time case and necrobot tech to him and have him start grabbing people off "the list" to bring them to that reality?

6. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    I agree. It would be refreshing.

Another theory I got is what if the Knights are the Heralds of Unicron and this is how Rodimus Unicronus is brought in?

7. sharkrainbow

sharkrainbow whirl is a trans girl

hold the phone, are we really getting Rodimus Unicronus in IDW?

8. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

I really doubt it to be honest - not a whole lot of the more whacky stuff from the toylines makes it into the comics

9. sharkrainbow

sharkrainbow whirl is a trans girl

yeah that's what i thought! and i hadn't seen any hint or sign anywhere to say this was going to be a special exception...

which is kinda a shame, it would be interesting to see how JRo handles it, and i'd LOVE to see Milne's Evil Facial Hair work.

10. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    I'd be curious how they'd handle it.

I don't imagine it'd be permanent but even as temporary, it could really change Rodimus as a character.

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    What if Cyke is forced to kill Whirl against his own will?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018