Speculations about Next time on Lost Light.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Dropkick, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    It's just... predictable... to make them evil or dead or like Tyrest. Go for the surprise and make them heroic... but they are so heroic that our heroes are humbled by their good. That it makes them ashamed of their own ugliness in all the compromises they made to reach them, that they feel unworthy. But unlike, say, elves who are holier than thou, the Knights should be so noble that they go "Yes, you made mistakes. Now learn from it. Become better. We believe in you."

I actually came up with a concept a few years ago around Combiner Wars that the Knights were a team of 6 warriors who could form into a combiner called Gallantron. They would be based on Arthurian Legend and each take on a mech beast mode based on mythical beasts (with the legends of said beasts coming from the stories told of the Knights). This was before The Last Knight and their leader would be Pendragon the Just (who became a dragon, of course), and he would be joined by hero of all Griflet the Brave (who becomes a griffin), empathetic Tor the Sullen (who becomes a manticore), Solus Prime's student Lucan the Bold (who becomes a capricron), mystic/prophet Merlyn the Cunning (who becomes a winged unicorn), and newest member and only female of the group Ywain the Young (who becomes a phoniex and the gestalt's sword). THey would be kind, heroic, couragous heroes who created Cybertopia as a place to help wanderers who found them become all they could ever hope to be.

...but hey, if Roberts wants to go with the cliche...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

I like this idea. I like everything about this. Well, I'm not entirely sold on the "Transformers Suicide Squad" idea, but at least it would actually do something different with some characters.

But yes, it occurs to me now that MTMTE/Lost Light would have been a great point to introduce the Solstar Order, while Rom is off doing things on Earth in his own book.

3. Mr. Chaos

News Credits:
    And think how that would have fixed a lot of issues with Revolution. You could still do Rom's solo book but introduce the Order in More than Meets the Eye. Introduce some of the other alien-like groups there. Meanwhile, do GI Joe, Action Man, and Mask in Robots in Disguise and Till All Are One, with Optimus having to deal with GI Joe... instead of having it where Joe all hate Autobots have that some actually want to work with them... perhaps even make THAT GROUP M.A.S.K, with the reveal that Miles Mayhem was a Cobra Agent all along who wanted Cybertronian tech. Move the Micronauts stuff to Till All Are One by having Starscream keep getting weird signals and odd things happening and the last issue before the crossover reveals it was the reply to the message he sent to all the titan colonies, picked up by the Microverse. And then do Revolution where all the bad guys team up and the three books must unite together with all the other solos to battle them, ending with Revolutionaries being formed and a better unity between the heroic factions.

4. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Roberts has some competition. Please take over. I normal never hate on Roberts but this idea makes even his ideas and what i feel like he has in store absolute garbage.

• Like Like x 2
  5. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It turns out that if Optimus had just done the right thing and joined the Decepticons everything would have turned out fine and the galaxy would be a peaceful and egalitarian utopia.

6. Mr. Chaos

News Credits:
    Start a campaign to get them to hire me. I do freelance writing all the time and I'd love to break into comics. I already know what the first arc after the Knights stuff I wrote about would be: Rodimus and the crew get reports that on a far corner of explored space, near the Uncharted Region, an Autobot ship from the War Era was found with the crew killed, the last log stating "Megatron has returned".

And the log was filed only a week and a half ago.

Rodimus and Co would of course be freaked the hell out and rush into the Uncharted Region, finding the Autobot/Decepticon war still going... and apparently Prime and Megatron are their fighting. The reveal would be that during the war a Decepticon Worldbreaker Class Ship and an Autobot Defense Ark Class (both roughly the same size and same crew level) engaged in a battle while almost the entire crews of both ships were in stasis and ended up locked together and damaging their transwarp engines, which caused them to end up in the Uncharted Regions, 10,000 Light years from any known space. The Decepticon leader, seeing his chance for power, convinced the ship's doctor to alter his appearance to that of Megatron and then awakened the crew, claiming that he had always been in command. Meanwhile, on the Autobot ship, their captain, Skyhammer, believed that this was the real Megatron and, fearing his crew would lose hope, had his first mate and communications officer stage a fake recording from Optimus; in it Optimus declared that he was named Skyhammer the next Prime and commisioning him to defeat Megatron. So Skyhammer became Malleus Prime and has been leading the war ever since.

The arc would deal with the idea of the lost battlion and those that fight after a war is over, as well as what happens when a lie told for the most noble of reasons or the darkest of desires is revealed. It would also, if IDW didn't ahve a better idea, allow for Beast Wars Megatron to be introduced into the comics in a new robodragon body.

But I'll just be quiet now.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

The idea of lost battalions is really interesting, especially since such things happened in real life. The closest the comics have actually done that has been the Throttlebots in the recent Optimus Prime story arc, so it would be interesting to see whole groups out in the galaxy unaware of the war's end.

Even better if the fake "Megatron" were basically Beast Wars Megatron but as a regular Transformer instead of a beast.

...This whole discussion made me think and realize that Hasbro and IDW are just sitting on a lot of untapped potential in other corners of the Hasbroverse, but this isn't the thread to discuss that.

I still fully expect the Knights to be the Quintessons, Getaway to find himself backed into a corner where they pull their evil judge routine, and for Scorponok to take over as the villain in the final arc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Soundwave902

Soundwave902 The Lone Survivor

I think BW Megatron was just confirmed in the last OP preview, maybe Archforce.

Suggestion: Make the first officer and comms officer in on the deception too, maybe Slipstream and Soundblaster?

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    We really need to get you to write for IDW.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I like how carefully you've developed your ideas ... but I feel this proposed ending goes completely against the spirit of the series, which follows a humanist philosophy, ie. people are inherently flawed and inherently prone to disastrous mistakes, and there's no higher plane or state of grace we can ascend to - certainly no easy instructions on the Right Way of existing. UM's law and order isn't the answer, Rodimus' self-elevation to captain doesn't give him the respect he craves, and even Whirl's exaggerated nihilism is unable to completely detach him from the difficult process of giving a shit and not knowing what to do about it. Most of the major conflicts come from characters having to face up to the non-viability of their approaches to 'fixing' things, and often going mad in the process.

So there's a reason you feel like the Knights being evil is 'predictable' - it's because that's what the story is telegraphing as an inevitable and appropriate conclusion to the quest. It's the natural apogee of a tale which leans heavily on the theme of 'No easy answers, only bigger problems'. And every story has to strike the right balance between unexpected twists and volte-facing in a way that contradicts itself. Having the Knights as improbable (if not impossible) paragons of virtue who are able to supply unambiguous tutelage and dispense god-like knowledge of how much better everyone's lives could have been would firmly be in the latter category.

I also have a logical/moral problem with the way your synopsis runs, which is that it's hardly clear that the universe would be a much better place if various characters hadn't sinned, and that seems like a nonsense lesson for the Knights to be handing out. It's just as likely that if Getaway hadn't mutinied, Rodimus would have crashed the ship into the next star and killed everyone, or that one of the Autobots Drift previously slew would have gone on to become a Decepticon spy who destroys the Autobots from within. And as with the problem of the Necrobot attributing specific deaths to specific characters, the tangle of events and actions that lead to certain consequences is far too complex for a story like this to carry it off.

And in any case, "Yes, you made mistakes, now learn from it, become better, we believe in you" still sounds patronising as fuck and would leave me wanting the Lost Lighters to nuke the planet from orbit.

*edit*

PS. Further to the alternative 'non mutiny' branch you propose, I also think this misunderstands Getaway's character in a fundamental way. For better or worse, Roberts has painted him as someone who has incredibly lofty ambitions and a bit of a saviour complex. Having Megatron die and playing a heroic role in a single battle wouldn't go anywhere near satisfying his goals - if anything, it's looking like the Megatron problem was just a convenient excuse for him to make a power play.

• Like Like x 3
  11. hardlurk

News Credits:
    I have faith that even a wicked character like James Roberts can renounce the folly of humanism and accept the truth of the Decepticon Way.

Through Megatron, all things are possible.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sharkrainbow

sharkrainbow whirl is a trans girl

got dang Focks, how do you always say exactly what i was thinking as i read these threads, only worded a hundred thousand times better?
    i was gonna go OFF about the Knights of Patronising but you've done it so gracefully there's nothing for me to add

13. hardlurk

News Credits:
    I don't get the impression that the book is advocating that there are no easy answers.

The book is actually advocating that the answer lies in living in a sitcom, and that anyone who rejects the sitcom is some sort of crazy fanatic.

This is why I choose to overidentify with the Decepticons.

Roberts is what happens when Gen-X cynics decide to be silly instead of dour.

• Like Like x 1
  14. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like a small spin on the original idea that keeps in line with the overall perceived "theme" of the series along with most of the awesome stuff Mr Chaos wrote...

1) They get to cyberutopia
    2) They meet the Knights
    3) The Knights *are* everything they've been lauded to be
    4) The Knights want absolutely nothing to do with them.

* Metroplex tells Windblade when she asks about the Knights, "You don't deserve to know." That was played - pretty obviously, I thought- as if the Knights were a horror that Metroplex was trying to shield them from. But I like it thinking that he *literally* meant "you don't deserve them".
    * This keeps with the "no easy answers" theme but in a way that keeps the Cyberutopians from predictably being the 113th quasi-religious entity in this book that's secretly eeeeeeeeeeevil

I mostly agree about the Getaway thing BTW, although the problem I have with your thoughts on Getaway is very much a Costa-ish viewpoint...Getaway's been in the Autobots for millions of years. Why wouldn't he have made his ambitions known prior to this?

(As an aside I was reading back issues tonight and realized that in Ratchet's notes, Getaway's "signs of affinity" are actually "purported signs of affinity". Nice work foreshadowing that one by Roberts...)

15. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Well-Known Member

Getaway or the crew will be revealed to be in a loop, the events of issue 12 are inaccurate, especially the reveal of Cyberutopia.
    Tyrest is playing a long game with Scorponok and has Getaway, Flame, Sunder, Froid and Star Saber as his pawns.
    Star Sabers identity will be revealed, he's no better then the DJD, the armour will go to someone else.
    Rodimus group will be the ones to find Cyberutopia.
    The Protectobots have been tampered with, First Aid not knowing Rook is a possible clue.
    The Lost Light is a titan.

• Like Like x 1
  16. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

But 10,000 times harder for a foreigner to understand. I've heard about wooden language, I don't know if it is. If I'm to make a TL;DR from that dissertation, that's "I disagree with Mr. Chaos."

17. Focksbot

Thanks! I just have lots of practice - I'm a semi-professional writer, ie. sometimes freelance (articles, poetry), currently a funded researcher writing an arts thesis. Plus I've been arguing on the internet for about 20 years now :) 

Of the two sitcom-obsessed characters, one withdraws from his social network and nearly dies because of his obsession with viewing everything in terms of sitcoms, and the other goes on to back Getaway and get himself brainwashed - not a great case for 'living in a sitcom' being the answer to everything.

I think the harshest charge you can lay against Roberts in terms of betraying the book's core philosophy is that Anode and Lug seem to be untouchable. Anode is reckless, deviant and arrogant, yet constantly gets away with it.

Sorry for the difficulty in understanding - precise ideas require precise language, although I do try to be as plain as possible. Here's my best attempt at a TL;DR:

Virtuous Knights don't fit into the universe of MTMTE/Lost Light. It's a universe of grey morality, where being good means wrestling with the dark side of your nature, owning your mistakes and trying to make up for them. The very idea of unimpeachable virtue is played for laughs in the form of Thunderclash. An ending which condemned our protagonists for not coming up to some gold standard of morality would undermine all the character drama up to that point.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Focksbot

My conjecture would be that he's been slowly working his way up the ranks all this time. He started as an MTO, and when we meet him he's one of Prowl's top agents. Rodimus' quest is his chance to grasp his true destiny (Megatron saw it that way too), whereas during the war he had the whole chain of command to fight against.

Serialised science fiction is constantly wrestling with the problem of how you create drama without someone or something turning out to be eeeeeeeevil. Outside of the great twist at the end of Blade Runner, most times the final act baddies have turned out to be neutral or good, it's been a big let-down - at least as far as my own impression goes. No points for originality if it's dramatically unsatisfying. So I think Roberts only really has a couple of options here: either there's something novel about the particularly way the Knights are eeeeeeeeeevil, or else the Knights are OK but something else nasty is unleashed. I can't really see this series ending on a high if it's just banter with the Knights.

19. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

@Focksbot I remember you from the IDW forum days....

Do you remember me ;) ;) 

20. Focksbot

Course I do!