speculation: real gear precedes movie designs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KA, May 31, 2007.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i was lookin' at the real gear stuff (these guys are hella cool!) and it occured to me, these designs mightve been in the works before the movie designs. the style is more AEC rather than the movie style, which favors more complex geometry. the more traditional face sculpts would suggest this too.

whaddaya think? is it possible that these designs were just hanging around, only to be incorporated into the movie line?

2. Spearhead

Spearhead NEVER!

Maybe they had them planned a longer time already but when Armada Lazerbeak failed to sell well they put them on hold for the time... who knows :) 

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yes, yes I do. They seem completely different from the movie aesthetic.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think you are correct, sir.

5. KanedaX

KanedaX Twitchy Triggerbot

Ebay:
    I could completely see that... the images that they use on the camcorder, for example, are of Nitro Convoy (Override) from the Cybertron line. It was probably being planned as a Cybertron expansion before the movie plans were announced. Then Hasbro decided to go ahead with the Classics line to get the nostalgia going.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Actually, I could see Real Gear as reformatted Classic Cassettebots/cons. I'd have taken them over the minicons we did get.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hey, i noticed that but it didnt occur to me. all of the decals feature cyb characters, good call.

8. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I can believe that. Armada Laserbeak never appealed to me as much as I wanted a new version of the character. The new Booster version is pure hotness IMO. I am considering picking a few of these guys up actually.

9. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Just because they dont match the movie designs doesn't mean they weren't designed for the movie line. They might have been designed prior to the movie, then again they could have been designed for it as well, just because they switch to one style doesn't mean they forget how to make the other. And as for the stickers of Override and Jetfire, they're just taken from the newest footage Hasbro legal had ahold of, it shouldn't be taken for any special meaning or evidence that these were meant for Cybertron.

10. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I'm kinda wondering if we'll see these bots make quick cameos in the movie. Doubtful given that the designs are radically different, but it'd be tight! I grabbed an Armada Lazerbeak the other day to go with these figs., so I can't wait to get them soon!

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the former is plausible but the latter is unlikely. creative decisions are usually imposed at project briefing/beginning of a project and the last thing any design director wants is inconsistency.

the most likely scenario, if we go by your suggestion would be a case where the real gear bots, established as not being included in the movie itself, were developed prior to the meetings with ppl on dreamworks side of things. its makes sense, since while the movie look was being developed with ILM ppl, the hasbro internal designers were given something to do which they had more autonomy, i.e. did not depend on a committe decision with dreamworks/ILM to finalize.

12. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Makes sense to me. That means they were designed and ready first before the movie designs were even finished and it's a line Hasbro doesn't have to go through anyone to release, same as the Robot Heroes or Attacktix.

13. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Where these designed by Takara or Hasbro? I get a Japanese vibe from these, they're like Gold Lightan and the old Microman toys.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    generally, basic design to establish the look is done stateside. takara then takes over to develop the engineering. its not always the case, but its been more often than not based on testament from insiders.

i'm guessing tho, since TF has been slow on takaras side, we can assume that recent stuff that appears stateside 1st/only would have been initiated stateside.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well on the back of my Real Gear package, the fine print reads "Used under license from TOMY Company Ltd." Is that strange? Wouldn't that indicate that these were designed by TakaraTomy and not Hasbro?

zmog

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wouldn't surprise me if the Real Gears were planned, or at least conceived pre-movie, and the movie provided the best opportunity to use them. (based on the whole Allspark bringing crazy crap to life thing) The designs are more pre-movie than post, but they still aren't 100% 'G1 traditional', considering they don't all have normal faces, and only one of the first six has hands instead of clamps or claws. Faces in general tended to be a little more on the humanoid side though.

I'd guess at the least, Real Gears might have always been intended for the movie toyline, but were likely well into their design process before the movie designers set a style for the robots. (considering how much stuff is in the movie line, it makes sense to get a jump on anything that doesn't have to wait on separate source material.)