Speculation on Protector armor

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sioce, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Last time we heard any news about this was August of last year.

There was a rumor that was quickly pounced on by the staff (justified as it was a low post-count person saying that it was canceled) about fansproject killing the project.

So let's speculate on this a bit.

What do you think?

Has it been scrapped?

Delayed?

Is fansproject just building the anticipation so high that we are all going to scream and start pulling our hair out?

Did Has/Tak squish the project in light of a possible new toy?

2. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    It will be interesting to see if Fansproject didn't get enough funding from the Defender and Crossfire 2 kit projects and decided to save up more cash (real work beside this hobby thing as mentioned in the interview) for mass producing the Protector kit. :D 
    I will say they are all busy with their regular jobs and didn't have time on finishing the kit at the moment. Just give them more time.

3. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

That would be a cruel joke to not release this. Hot Rod only became ridiculously expensive because of anticipation for this release.

4. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I sincerely hope they don't cancel it and that its next in line after the Bruticus upgrade kits.

5. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I hope it still being released. I've been waiting patiently and don't know what I'd do if they do cancel.

6. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

Hasbro/Takara have made public comments that they're less than pleased with FansProject's current and upcoming lineup of products....one of the defenses fans have always thrown up for FansProject is the lack of similar product from Hasbro to pull revenue from (i.e. Hasbro has no other figure similar to Defender)...I'd been wondering if the delay/lack of information concerning the Protector armor is because Hasbro or Takara are planning a release of a similar figure that would be in direct competition with Protector and have privately "suggested" that FansProject cancel their plans...It's made me wonder if a Masterpiece Rodimus Prime is in the works.

...or maybe Fansproject is just perfecting the design.

7. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

Id say if anything all the add on kits fansproject sells increases the sales of hasbro figures like bruticus and superion. It drives the demand for these figures up.

I too hope we get news soon on the protector.

8. Quicky

Quicky TRANSFORM and ROLL OUT!!!

Ebay:
    Fansproject probably had Defender ready to go first in the hopes of seeing more of a return on their investment in that mold.

The Protector upgrade has 1 thing against it that Defender does not. The Protector upgrade is soley dependent on those of us that have Classics Hot Rod or Henkei Rodimus and choose to buy the upgrade.

Fansproject can pump out Defender after Defender because it's a complete toy. They just can't pump out Protector armor after Protector armor and end up making more armors than there are Classics Hot Rod/Henkei Rodimus figures or more than those of us willing to convert their Hot Rods into Rodimus Primes.

Give them time. I'm sure well be hearing soon enough.

9. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:

so if mp rodimus comes out and protector comes out. which would you buy first? some people cant afford both you know. they both costs quite a bit either way you look at it. do you think the mp rodimus will kill sales for the protector? or the other way around? if so hasbro will not be happy.

10. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Hardly. Anyone with the cash for either probably is a collector that would want both anyway. It won't take sales away from stores because the average joe knows nothing about fansproject, and there are a number of purists around here anyway.

11. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Is there even the slightest reliable bit of info there is an MP Rodi in the works? At least we know FP are working on the upgrade.

12. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    it is a good chance, it being 2010 and he shows up in Convoy Black's wrist communicator, which everyone but bumblebee became an MP

13. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When we 1st heard about the Protector set it was supposed to be released before Defender and there was no news at all about the Superion or Bruticus set. My guess is that Fansproject just shifted their priorities.

Secondly, if Fansproject does decide not to do the Protector, it is what it is. Maybe it wasn't up to what they consider their own standards.

Lastly, as far as I know, Hasbro only says things about 3rd party companies overstepping bounds when asked which is the exact right answer that Hasbro should give as a legal entity. I haven't heard yet of Hasbro just coming out of the blue and bashing 3rd parties.

14. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who knows. I'm mad cause how this damn thing jacked up the price of Classics Hot Rod. I still need one and right now $60 for a figure is too much for me.

15. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm glad I bought a couple when they were still $10.00 at wally world.

But I really want one to be rodimus prime!

16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I doubt Hasbro has stepped up to FansProject. If Defender got through, I just don't think an add on kit would be stopped. I think FansProject just has more things higher up on the priority list.

17. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    is it classics hotrod or classics rodimus prime?

18. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro can't touch Fansproject. And I'm sure even if Takara is releasing a MP HotRod/Rodimus Prime, it won't matter to FP. Their Protector kit is for the classics line, and caters towards a specific group.

As far as Protector goes, keep in mind that Fansproject have a bunch of kits and figures in the works at the same time. I would expect them to make Protector the next product to be released, after the Combaticon upgrade is released.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    It's called 'Rodimus'. Intended to be Hot Rod not Rodimus Prime, but they can't use the name Hot Rod anymore. I think that's what you're asking?

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I'm not challenging your statement, I'm just curious why you think that or if there is legality to back the statement up.

FansProject is in the clear though, right, due to the fact they're not naming their products "Springer" or "Rodimus?" I'm not too far into the legality of my business studies; anybody shed some light on the subject?