Spectacular Spider-man

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Wreckgar, Mar 8, 2008.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And the other guy is The Tinkerer.

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    One thing you gotta remember is that most weekly cartoons only have 13 episodes per season. I'm guessing they want to introduce most of the villains this season, so they don't have to do it that much next season.

3. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they didn't go with a more comic book accurate version of the black costume. The toy line based on this cartoon is releasing a comic book version of the black costume rather than what they did in the cartoon. Well, Spidey should still have the black costume in the next costume, so we may yet see the costume change.

4. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Well, the Kingpin did hire an assassin to kill Spider-Man who ended up hitting Aunt May instead and nearly killing her. This, of course, motivated Spidey to switch to his black suit, assault Iron Man to demand funds for her hospital stay, and then break into a prison (Ryker's?), beat the shit out of the Kingpin in front of everyone, and then threaten to kill him by flooding his lungs with webbing if May did indeed die.

...oh, wait. None of that happened. I forgot. "Brand New Day" and all that. Sorry.... :rolleyes:  :crazy: 

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    And the fact that I did not notice that makes me love this show even more.

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well 14. Tinkerer was with Mysterio.. and you forgot Shocker.

7. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Heh. Forgot about that. Still, it wasn't a complete destruction like he did to DD, and as you pointed out, it never really happened.

As for the pacing of the show, I have to say that I don't agree. It's setting up for future stories and encounters aplenty, yes, but it's flowing smoothly, and hell, we only know that all these villians are being introduced because we have knowlede of the comics. Some kid sitting too close to the screen on Saterday morning probably has no idea who Quinten Beck is.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Wait, I thought Joe Q said it all happened -all of it.
    It's just no one remembers it cuz its magik!

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Today's ep was pretty good. Big internal stuggle with the suit plus Brock becomes Venom. His reasoning for hating Spidey/Parker are pretty decent. They are as follows:

- Pete took pictures of Doc Connors as Lizard instead of helping and cashed in on their pain
    - Pete said he wasn't going to the dance to Gwen then shows up with MJ upsetting Gwen
    - Pete didn't try to stop the robbery of the symbiote and made more money off Dr. C
    - Spidey stole the suit
    - Because Pete didn't save the symbiote from being "stolen" Brock was fired and thus has to drop out of school (can't he work at McD's?) because he can't pay for school
    - Pete doesn't show up for Aunt May after her heart attack for a while
    - Pete blows off his friends when they try to help
    - Spidey returns the symbiote to the lab to destroy it.. in front of Brock

Yeah I can see why Brock would turn against Pete. Next Week VENOM!!!

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was another great ep, and had the most emotional point of the season when the symbiote had Peter beaten down and Uncle Ben's spirit joined with Peter to take him down and then the spirits of all the friends Peter had discounted helped Peter deliver the final blows. (Or so he thinks...)

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Not spirits. His memories of those people, including Uncle Ben. I did think it was quite amusing that Norman Osborn was in there.

12. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

This show feels like the Spidey comics I read when I was a kid and makes me forget about all the nonsense that has been thrown at him in the modern comics recently.

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unless I missed an episode, didn't Norman get Peter to think that it was Harry as the Green Goblin instead of himself? I still think Normal is the Goblin & framed Harry. I know the show has altered some ideas from the comic but not having Norman as the Goblin seems like something they wouldn't change.

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Spirits memories, same difference. Ever heard the expression, "Don't worry tonight at the performance, I'll be with you in spirit."

15. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Harry was the second Green Goblin in the comics, so it wouldn't really be changing much. Just the order that it happened.

The 90s cartoon did the same thing with the Hobgoblin. In the comics, The Green Goblin came long before the Hobgoblin. In the cartoon, it was reversed.

16. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Actually, after catching yesterday's repeat, there's another hole in the "Norman is really the Goblin" theory. Mainly, that they were in the exact same place at the exact same time and stared each other down. And even if you wanna go the "Norman hired another guy to wear the suit" route, please keep in mind the limp Goblin had at the end of the episode. I really doubt Norman would be walking around normally after that. They probably still could pull that switch/twist if they really wanted to, but it would seem really contrived at this point.

And as for the new ep, GREAT stuff as usual. Feel really bad for Eddie, as I knew I would, but it's gonna lead up to one hell of a fight.

Also, this may be the first time Spidey w/ symbiote reffered to himself as "we." I think that's awesome.

17. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I think that's mostly because in most of the past stories, Peter didn't know it was alive when he was wearing it. But yeah, I thought that was a nice touch.

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I seriously hope they decide to give Eddie his own episode next season. One without Spider-man. I wanna see him try to be a hero. I always hated when they'd just make him a villain. That's not what he's supposed to be.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I thought it was a great episode.
    The whole alien suit saga has impressed me.
    It touched on the pertinent elements present in the comic (like the suit taking Peter out for a "test drive" while he was sleeping) and the movie (like it feeding on negative emotions) and added cool new elements of its own like Spider-man calling himself 'we' and the change in the suit's design as he wore it.

What was a pleasant surprise was the way he fought the suit in his mind.
    The whole direction of that part of the episode was fantastic -Emmy winning stuff, seriously.
    The use of color to reflect themes was brilliant and I loved the fact making Peter think of Uncle Ben worked against the symbiote and helped him to find his center.
    Not only did it incorporate the classic line "With great power comes great responsibility" but more mundane applications of that paradigm like "Just because you can do something, does that mean you should?"

On a more humorous and ZOMG she's HAWT note, in the comics the symbiote suit took on the black and white look because Peter was think of Julie Carpenter's Spider-woman outfit when he thought he was "changing clothes".

In the cartoon, Peter was confronting the Black Cat, another woman in a black and white costume, when he first bonds with the symbiote. Based on the fact that the symbiote suit is black and white again, I suspect Peter was 'intently' observing the Black Cat's costume when the symbiote bonded with him. :lol 

20. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I was floored after the last ep.

Possible one of the best cartoons that I have seen and WAY better then how the events were handeled in the movie.