Minor/Repaint: Special-feature building movie-accurate hands Movie Leader Class Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OptimusPrimal13, Sep 7, 2008.

1. OptimusPrimal13

OptimusPrimal13 Dutch Radicon

As promised a special-feature on how I build this movie-accurate hands of Optimus Prime. First of all I unscrewed the hands of the arms and unscrewed the thumbs. Then I cut off his hands of the base and made the base flat with a fine metal-rasp and sanding-paper (grid 400 waterproof). Next I made the hands fit on the upper-part of the Bionicle joint and I drilled the hole where I put the thumbs in a little wider to fit the thumbs in it. Then I put a screw into the upper-part of the joint to attach the thumbs. I also drilled holes in the upperhandpart and the upper-part of the joint and put some metal-pins in with superglue to make a strong connection. Then I put it all together with superglue. Next step was to make the connection with the base. I drilled a hole in the center of the bas just above the hole where you attach the base on the arms. Then I drilled a hole into the Lego pin, cut it to the right size, put a metal pin in it and glued it together on the base. Then I attached the Bionicle lower-part of the joint ( that little black ball ) on the base and also the hand. The hands must be removed to transform Optimus to truck-mode because the hands doesn't fit in the sleeping-cabin.

To make the hands movie accurate I looked at the CGI pictures to make the backside of his hands. I used sheet styrene of the brand Evergreen which can be bought at a local hobby-store. I attached it with metal-pins and superglue.

Next I did the paint-job with a satin black base-coat using Revell acrylic satin black number 302. Then I dry-brushed the hands with Citadel Gameworkshop Chainmail and to brighten it a little up Mithrill Silver of the same brand. I also coloured the finger-joints with Citadel Brazing Brass, Revell Messing and Revell Gold. All are acrylics. To fixate everything I put two layers of outdoor satin sealer of the brand Plaid folkArt.

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    looks cool, but sucks they need to be removed. How do the bottoms look in alt mode? does your hole go through?

3. OptimusPrimal13

Thanks. It doesn't bother me that they have to be removed because I wanted them pose-able. The hole goes through the bottom but you don't see a thing because I put a little drop of superglue on the otherside and used it as sum sort of filler. It became rocksolid. Then I flattened it all with a very fine metalrasp and with waterproof sandingpaper 400 grid and 800 grid I made all smooth. Next I painted the bottoms with Revell number 54 Midnight Blue Gloss acrylic. This collour is close to the original blue collour. I gave OPs his head the same collour, wich you can see on the WIP-update I did on september 7th 2008.

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    nice :)  this gave me an idea to have the hand only rotate but still fit in alt-mode :p 

5. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Nice tutorial man. I got a project now using the LDR 07 Prime, and the hand mod i would dig using, would you mind?

6. OptimusPrimal13

No problem at all. I don't mind if you want to use this mod.