Special Effects - Not that great?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by oxygenic, Apr 30, 2009.

1. oxygenic

oxygenic OTTOBOT

I am not impressed with the way the robots look in this one, especially devastator. The way the "real" background looks vs the CGI does not seem as cohesive as the first. Its like you can see that a computer created these characters.

I most likely am completley wrong, but any relating thoughts?

2. fallen2341

fallen2341 Well-Known Member

...what

3. Eastsider4eva

Eastsider4eva Well-Known Member

Dude the movie aint even out yet you are jumping to conclusions give it a chance to come out first before slamming it.

4. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    ...wow

5. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

I do see what you mean to a certain degree, especially with Devastator, but I think this is likely due to the CGI still being unfinished. They will probably be working on it until the very last minute, and it's the small details still left undone that often make the models appear to exist more realistically within their environments.

6. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    they look fine to me.

7. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

THe CG we saw of him was unfinished. Look at the boat attack we saw originally and the one in the latest trailer the cg looks much better. they are constantly working on stuff like that.

8. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

i know what you mean.

9. Solitary Poet

Solitary Poet The 12th Monkey

I think it’s flipping great!

10. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

I noticed that when I was looking at Blackout in the trailer. It's not that noticeable. But hey, we can't be too harsh. We got more bots, and they still look very good! We can't expect the people who do this to spend extra money just to satisfy every one of our needs. It doesn't work like that.

11. Solitary Poet

Solitary Poet The 12th Monkey

Right on bro’

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They still look just fine to me except maybe the scene where Optimus is speaking to Sam, but as it was said before they're always constantly working on it so don't be surprised if the final material is even better.

13. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    We've seen the Devastator scene twice now. In the previous teaser he was shown walking in the desert. In the new trailer he steps on a truck while activating the turbine in his chest. The pyramid scene is another one that we saw before without any digital effects, and now has Devastator climbing the side. There is still a month or so of post production work that can be done. Also, who's to say that the footage we have isn't a few months old?

14. johndoe1041

johndoe1041 Active Member

The only thing that looked less than spectacular was the last shot with Devastator sucking up the sand, but CG sand effects have always been unimpressive to me and I assume it's really difficult to make that look convincing. Everything else looked really good though.

I also assumed that because we're getting so much more robot action this time around the quality was going to take a hit, but if the trailers are anything to judge by that assumption might be wrong. That shot of Optimus swinging his dual swords looked especially phenomenal. With all the quick cuts it's still too early to judge though.

15. Capovin

Capovin Well-Known Member

I really don't get whats bad about the sand, can someone link a video of a similar situation in real life? I just want to understand what people are talking about

16. the loupe

the loupe Active Member

I don't know what other people are seeing that is making them say the sand looks "bad," so I can't speak for everyone, but as far as I can tell, Devestator is still an unfinished shot. It looks like at least one more layer of compositing is going to go on there, probably some more dust around Devastator's head to better blend everything in.

Truth be told, what's being asked of ILM is just this side of impossible, and I'm amazed they've gotten this much done in this little time. We have seen some scenes that looked "finished," like the Bumblebee crying scene (think what you will about the content, but the robot did look good), which are also definite improvements on the CGI of the first movie. Given the claims about how many robots are in this movie and the massive cost in both time and resources to render just one, I can't say I expect every scene to hold that level of polish. But on the flip side, I've seen nothing to say that the effects won't at least equal the first one most of the time.

We're getting many more robot shots in these trailers than the trailers to the first movie, but that is going to come at the price of quality and lots of unfinished or low-grade renders in the previews.

17. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Are you shi-

No. You know what? I'm not even going to start.

18. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What was released today as opposed to the 2 minute clip from a week or two ago has been a huge jump I think. It's still a fair bit away from the release of the film, so it's still best to wait and see the finished product.

Even right now though it looks better than the wolverine trailers

19. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    It looks like a movie, with Transformers onscreen to me. Be glad they made a movie about our favorite toys. Every person I meet who tells me the movie-verse sucks doesn't get much respect from me. It's real simple to diss a movie, it's even harder to go to film school, get into the movie making business, and actually making a movie the way they envision it so it can either be criticized or the process can start all over.

20. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    OK so I guess we should never make any form of criticism or pass any judgment ever. Everything is perfect. This desk I'm sitting at is not a little wonky because I couldn't have done any better. It's *perfectly* flat and stable.

To the OP: Yes a lot of the CGI will still be wonky as trailers often use unfinished and incomplete shots due to the hectic and last minute schedule involved in these blockbuster deadline movies. For instance in 2007 we saw a few of the shots improve over the teaser/trailer/tv spots.