Speaking of Transformers cars...G1 Jazz design still very much in use

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mirage4lifeyo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

It's pretty well documented that there are some good real life G1 Wheeljack type cars out there, both as concept cars created by Lancira Stratos and "retro" rally cars that really look like the original Wheeljack. But I was suprised/pleased to see James Watt Automotive racing a Porsche 997 GT3 RSR in recent years that is very, very much in keeping with the paint job/livery or whatever you'd call it of the G1 Jazz toy.

Here's the real life, current racing car: Porsche 997 GT3 RSR.JAMES WATT AUTOMOTIVE.Silverstone LMS September 2007 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

James Watt Automotive Porsche 997 GT3 RSR Le Mans Series Silverstone 2009 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

G1 Jazz toy for comparison: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1075/531725591_7a1d67d10c.jpg

Sorry if old news but I hadn't seen that before. Woulda been cool to have seen that used in the movies but that's another story.

2. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Most of the g1 toys are based off of real cars. Bee is a vw beetle. I think cliffjumper is a porche. Prowl a datsun fairlady z. Sideswipe a Ferrari. I think I am right. Any diaclone toy is pretty much a real car.

3. mirage4lifeyo

True enough, but a lot of the g1 toys that were based on real cars are harder to find in present day use. For example the real-life racing cars that say Smokescreen or Mirage were based on have pretty much gone by the wayside nowadays.

4. unchained5150

unchained5150 Time to Disappear.

All except Sideswipe. He was a Lamborghini Countach, just the same as Sunstreaker.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Jazz and Wheeljack were based on racing colors from cars that had already proven themselves and become famous, its not all that surprising that the colors would have survived until now, just as jerseys for many famous sporting clubs continue to this day.

Cool to see it on a modern car though. I think a Fenomenon Wheeljack would be amazing.

6. mirage4lifeyo

Nissan did do a new commemorative racing car a few years ago in memory of the line of cars that the specific one Smokescreen was based on came from. Not quite the look of old Smokescreen but it does hint at it in a modern context with the red, white and a dab of the unusual light blue associated with BRE: http://www.rpmgo.com/images/2010/nissan_bre_370z_tuning.jpg

The Ligier Gitanes racing team that created my homie Mirage, though, is gone with the wind. Guess I'll have to make do with Dino. :) 

7. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Thanks I known it was something Italian.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The fun thing is that most, if not all G1 alternate modes were effectively outdated by 1984.

Well, Sunstreaker with his modified rear section and the exposed rear-mounted engine was not exactly an authentic replica of a Countach. Rather, he was based on an older Takara toy, the Cosmo Countach, which transforms into a weird half-robot, half-car hybrid. Sunstreaker's Diaclone predecessor was the first full car-to-robot toy according to Hasbro.

G1 Jazz and his Diaclone predecessor are of course not a Porsche 997, but a Porsche 935 Turbo.
    porschsport.com
    RETROSPECTIVE>> TURBO TERRORS: THE PORSCHE 935 PT.1 - Speedhunters

9. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

Mirage was a formula 1 race car formula 1 is still going strong just technology has advanced greatly sense the 80's