Speaking of '86 movie...how about untold Autobot City massacre stories

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mirage4lifeyo, Jun 19, 2012.

1. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

Without rehashing the thread below on why people do or don't like or at least have some nostalgia for the '86 movie...one thing that as an adult I actually appreciate more than as a kid was the massive wipe out of mostly Autobots, not just the on-screen deaths but the implied (and planned by the writers/Hasbro) offscreen massacre of others who would not be returning to the series. Sure it sucked to see beloved characters buy the farm, and sure it was all done just to make way for new toys to sell...*but* that doesn't negate the fact it also makes it much more like real life and rendered everything so much more high stakes than in the television series. In real life, people we love and don't want to see die do die all the time, often tragically, sometimes heroically, but it happens.

Part of the reason the Last Stand of the Wreckers comic was so powerful and popular aside from the great writing and art was the dark nature of the subject matter itself - knowing going in that it was in fact a "Last Stand" and that it was the Wreckers, so you *knew* many would die. And that comic did a phenomenal job in a short time frame of taking minor and obscure characters that many of us are not familiar with and making us care about them and their fates, which made it powerful.

Which leads me to the Autobot City massacre. I personally think it would be cool in some sort of medium to see the untold stories of what else happened during that battle. The stuff off-screen. I mean we know at one point from interviews that there was gonna be one big "charge of the light brigade" type scene where all the non-Season 2 Autobots got wiped out in one desparate and futile charge, but that got scrapped and was officially not part of the story. But that leaves for a lot of creative fun and opportunities. We do know that Wheeljack and Windcharger were laying dead, but what happened in their final moments? What happened with the rest of the Autobots working construction on Lookout Mountain with Kup? We know from storyboards that Red Alert, Trailbreaker and at one point Smokescreen were variously going to be seen killed or dead, as well as likely Mirage. We know Sideswipe and Tracks were gonna be fleeing from the same gunfire and Constructicon charge that would have killed Red Alert. We know prima donna architect Grapple suddenly found himself in the trenches in a hellish firefight. We know Huffer died somehow and was later entombed.

Just seems like there was a whole lot of drama that went unseen and unwritten. And though it would be sad, I think it'd be a fun topic to see played out. What do you guys think?

Example - in my mind, the launcher that Springer wound up firing at Devastator was probably one of Wheeljack's latest crazy inventions, and that was why he was the one trying to get it all set up and ready to fire when he and Windcharger were killed.

Also that first cannon blast Megatron shoots that comes right at the camera when he first disembarks the Autobot shuttle, I always envision that as having been a blast that decapitated poor Huffer right on the spot, sending the rest of Kup's construction crew scattering down the mountain...with only Hound finding a way to make it back to the City in one piece and later meet up with Prime.

And yes of course the multiple Sunstreakers issue would need to be cleaned up...for me I'd go with him having been on the reinforcements shuttle with Optimus since that was his longer scene. Would his twin Sideswipe have been alive or dead by time they got there? How would he react if it was the latter?

Plenty of stuff that would make for a good story or multiple stories to me...

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It would be interesting I guess. There were several guys that just never show up again with no explanation, so it would be cool

3. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm confused

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    They sort of make details of the massacre of Autobot city with the Reveal the Shield Rodimus and Cyclonus comic.

All I know is that Tracks and Grapple both survived.

5. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    cant we just say it was tigertracks who was already at the city?

6. Inverse Midas

Inverse Midas Jettisoning weight!

This is actually a pretty cool idea. Such a bummer that so many beloved characters bit it on screen and conceptually. :( 

I think that most people enjoying transformers at the time of the movie's release lost at least one character they were attached to in some way. I remember sitting in the theatre, a dejected 9-year old, upon seeing my favorite character, Ratchet, killed on the shuttle. I realized pretty quickly that this wasn't going to be a 90-minute tv episode. It would have been even more grave if more of the deaths made it past the script and storyboard stage.

7. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay after rereading it I understand it now. This sounds like a cool idea. I think I read it to fast.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits: