Speachless...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Blaster_Prime, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

We've all been there...the argument of what is cannon in the Transformers verse. The only other fandom to receive such heated debate on the subject of cannon is of course Star Wars, but we have much more to consider when arguing. Personally, I try not to argue because I beleive that the enjoyment of the series is more important then arguing over it.

However, not too long ago I was discussing things with another TF fan and the issue of Primus came up and whether or not he was indeed considered cannon.

I thought this was silly, considering the very title of PRIME is derived from the diety of PRIMUS. He insisted that Alpha Trion was considered to be higher on the cannon scale than Primus.

We went through G1 cartoon references, to the Marvel Comic, and even through the movie discussing what could and could not be considered cannon, he still hanging on to his beloved Alpha Trion as a reference base that tied together most cannons, including both comics and G1 cartoon.

Finally, this comment was made... "Well, technically anything outside the toy line isn't cannon."

To which I replied... "In that case, Alpha Trion isn't cannon because they didn't make him into a toy until the last Bot Con!!"

LOL He was speachless

2. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Dude every fandom has canon nerds. GI Joe fans argue over whether to follow the cartoon, 80s comic book or Devils Due comic book. Ghostbusters fans argue over whether GBII or XGB counts. Knight Rider fans argue over the movie and the various spinoffs. Its all over.

3. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

There are Knight Rider fans.......?

Now I'M speechless.

;) 

(Just kidding..... don't hunt me down, KR fans......)

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    *speechless
    *canon
    *believe

There is no canon in transformers. Just stories. You pick the one you like, and you go from there.
    Me, I like Marvel G1->Marvel G2->Beast Wars. I stop there. I've seen people link every story together into one continuity, and I think, "Good for them." I stick with mine.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  6. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

There IS a can(n)on in transformers.

His name is Galvatron ;) 

7. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Unless you're a troll who insists Galvatron was a tank. That guy had mental problems.

8. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

I'd think Star Trek fans argue over canon far more than Star Wars fans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, in Star Wars, basically anything and everything is canon... movies, books, etc. But in Trek only what's on the screen, TV and film, is "canon," so the books, novels, etc. don't count.

I always thought that Transformers was refreshing and more open minded in regards to "canon" because the fans have allowed TFs to reinvent itself so many times, and not fretting over canon, which I think contributes to its longevity.

9. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

It's far, far more complicated than that. Lucas actually has "tiers" of Star Wars canon, with the only 100% official canon being his films. Before the prequels, there was plenty of merchandise like the novels that would contradict the films as they are now. Plus you have Lucas revising the movies in the first place. As I'm not even a big Star Wars fan, I don't even (want to) know the half of it...

:lol  Beat me to it.

10. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:

Cough.....I agree with Nevermore:D . Be it the G1 Cartoon, G1 Comic series, Japanese Headmaster series, WW comics, IDW comics, Beast Wars, TFTM, whatever. It's just personal taste.
    This cannon discussion comes up all the time in Star Wars where Lucasfilm has spent tons of time making everthing from comics to novels to cartoons all fit into one massive story. Star Wars writes things now to try to fit things into the universe that happened 30 years ago. And while I appreciate Lucasfilm's efforts they end up tripping over themselves all the time.
    I like that Transformers has no real canon to speak of, makes it a little easier to be a fan when you don't have to constantly worry about fitting everything into one big storyline. I just started reading the IDW comics and love them. They are G1 but obvisously a new story than the cartoon or Marvel comics presented. It's easiest just to pick and chose what you like and have that in your Transformers universe, then just discard what you don't like.

11. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:

12. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    Bonus points for making alot of sense.

I never cared what was "cannon" in regards to Transformers, or any other thing. Just experence what you enjoy.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Once upon a time (2003 or so) , I tried putting together as many of the different TF stories as I could into one connected thing (events of G1 cartoon seasons 1-2 lead to events of Dreamwave comic, with RiD cartoon events as a sideline, playing through to Armada, etc.) and came to the conclusion that the more I tried to tie it all together, the less I wanted to try to tie it all together. :) 

Depending on POV, either it's ALL canon, from cartoons to coloring books, or nothing is, but there's no such thing as a single accepted TF canon, except in some fans' heads.

14. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I believe its age, and where you were, when you were there. And peer influence. A sense of belonging in a way right?

Am I in the wrong thread?

15. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

infinate alternate timelines/realities. so evrything ever thought of or not for that matter is cannon.:drunk  this how ever dose not make all the storys interconected save for the very beggining at the start of the universe things start splitting infinatly from then on.

16. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I grew up in the G1 era, and by the time G2 came around, girls were way more interesting. But then I caught the 2nd half of BW and all of BM and it was all good. RID killed it, and I came back about 1 1/2 yrs ago after seeing some Cybertron and going "whoa"

So to me, your comment of it being a sense of belonging is what really works for me. I don't know all the comics or all the cartoons and I most certainly don't have all the toys. The fact that Transformers is reinvented every now and then is great. Old movie=Best. New movie=new hotness. Animated=wish I had cartoon network:(  Why would I want to lose all these great stories and characters just because they don't all tie together perfectly...

17. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Too bad the hunt is on!Grrrr......