Spawn figures - Demand? Any rare ones?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Sol Fury, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    So I've got a whole bunch of old Spawn figures I've not touched in years. I've got them mostly from the earlier lines - and a couple of the exclusives they did, like the red-tinted Angela club exclusive, and so on.

Are any of these rare or worth something? All my searches on Ebay have come up negative, or very low prices. But I figure some, like the Malebolgia, must be worth something, right?

Also got a few other random bits and pieces around, some WildCATs figures by Playmates, some of the Elfquest figures, even a set of Legend of Dragoon figures - those I might keep, though.

Figured I'd find out if I'm sat on a fortune eating up space in storage though!

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I've got a bunch of old Spawn figures, I think they've gone the way of the comics, that is they aren't worth much. I have both the navy blue Spawn variant and the Hamburger head one, both used to be worth a pretty penny but not so much now.

3. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

:lol  :lol  :lol 

That boat has long since sailed, man. Sorry.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO there's not really not much demand for them. In fact I managed to get the basic characters at a bargain prices. For example, I got the original MOSC Angela for USD$5? Series 17 (?) Malebolgia (which had the better sculpt IMO) for like USD$12? The only one that I was expensive was the 10th ann. Spawn which cost me USD$35.

I can't really comment on the rest of the line but I agree with Star Saber - demand for them isn't that good.

5. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

nope,there are tons sitting at a LCS here for $10,key word is sitting at even that price.

6. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:

Yeah I just checked eBay, they're pretty accurate I think with the prices. I think a lot of people got turned off with the endless Spawn variants and limited pose ability. A lot of em are practically statues. Characters like Batman can get away with it by Spawn is kind of dead in the water now. Even McFarlane has moved away from Spawn and focusing more on sports figures and video game characters.

7. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Agreed dude. To me the lack of articulation and that some of the figures were "stuck" in fixed posed killed the line for me. I really lost interest in the line the moment articulation was cut from the line.

8. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like spawn figures. I used to collect everyone of them, until I ran out of space. I agree they went the way of comics. :( 

9. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I was just checking out some of the older comics and they haven't aged well. Pity though as some of the characters were really memorable.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen the same thing, with multiple LCS in my area having older Spawn figures sitting around at $10 or less and seemingly never moving.

11. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    I loved the Spawn figures. I have almost all of them. It was such a shame the way McFarlane toys crumbled.

12. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they are worth around 1.00 to 3.00 each shipped if lucky. Sad but seems like not many want them anymore.

13. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

There may be a bit of demand for some of the subsets - the Monsters playsets particularly.

I think also the first line of Clive Barker's Tortured Souls figures may have some interest.

The rest of the McFarlane stuff, though, is pretty much junk at this point. Shame, too, because I (like a lot of toy collectors) bought a bunch of these back in the day, and they're worthless now.

I'm kind of tempted to take out all of my McFarlane stuff and hot-glue it together randomly, and call it art.

Tim
    "toy geek"

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i collected all from Series 1-20 and eventually, i threw most of them out.
    i kept a few sentimental/exceptional ones, but they are fragile statues and not fun to play with.

i kept Zombie Spawn, Sam and Twitch, Mandarin Spawn, Cygor (the big one) OvertKill, and a few others.

the movie toys were effin atrocious...

15. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Spawn!! Wow. It's sad to see what happened to that franchise. I'm sure it'll come back one day.

Anyways, what's the best Violator sculpt. I want one. I think I have the second sculpt somewhere.

16. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recently started watching the spawn hbo series and it rekindled my love for the figures. I had a few when I was younger, but haven't owned anything mcfarlane in a while. Since there pretty cheap on ebay and even on amazon, I figured I'd make a single shelf with some of the classic characters. So far in the last week I've acquired:

Spawn IV Masked (weapons of mass destruction)
    Spawn VI w/ Malebolgia Head
    Clown IV w/cigar, bottle, & rat
    Violator III W/ human skull
    Overtkill III
    Redeemer Reborn (Blue Gold repaint of original)
    Redeemer 2 w/wings

So far, I've spent less than a $100. Which is pretty good I think :lol  for 7 figs. Also considering adding cy-gor 2, creech s12, and disciple to round out the collection with a few more baddies. As well as the 10th anniversary spawn if I can find one decently priced. I do wish there was a decent chapel figure though, after loving the character on the animated series, it seems he didn't get any modern updates.

17. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I always liked the Dark Ages stuff. They had such cool designs. I remember when Medevil Spawn came out I was obsessed. Along with Ninja Spawn, those two figures rocked. It's such a shame the direction it turned out. I never was able to sell any of my Spawn toys either back in the day and I think I threw them out.

18. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would keep them. Seems to me that Spawn will be popular once again. It was a pretty significant pop culture franchise back in the '90s, and is important both in terms of comic characters (arguably the most important character/title to emerge from the nineties?) and toy collecting. After all, McFarlane Toys raised the bar enormously - would we have things like the Transformers CHUG lines, 25th Anniversary GI Joe, MOTUC, etc. if not for Spawn?

19. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I loved the Viking age and Samurai age spawn lines but once they became statues I lost interest. It seems that the company threw it's resources soley into the sculpting process and left articuation of the wayside.

20. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    I loved spawn as well and have a few, (for lack of memory I'd correct names) gunslinger, mandarin (awesome 1 shot comic), wings of redemption, samurai, and the 12 inch ones. With the constant hope of a new movie, I really hope the Mac focus shifts to Spawn again, if only for a bit.