Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Jan 21, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whose interested in this new series on Starz?
    i was kinda hoping it wouldn't be like The Tudors, stuffed shirt-ish Masterpiece theater fare.

But since i read that Lucy Lawless was part of it and there's some elements of "300" to it, I am eager to check it out Friday.

anyone else?

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Can't wait for it. It looks very action oriented and Lucy is always win.

3. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I actually just saw an ad for this in a magazine at the dentist's office an hour ago. Looks kinda cool, but knowing me I probably won't watch it. The weird thing about me is I usually don't watch too much TV but I freakin love movies.

4. smkspy

Watching it now. It's not that very good. Too much CGI and it tries too hard to gritt since it's on cable.

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

just watched episodes 1 and 2 yesterday. i like it. the bloods over the top but it doesnt bug me no more. I'll be adding this to my new shows to watch this season.

Lucy Lawless is a hottie.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

*misread title as "Sportacus: Blood and Sand"*
    *click on thread*
    :( 

So what's the deal with this? Does Ms. Lawless lez it up?

7. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ok does ne1 else think the blonde dude thats sparts friend would make an awsome capt. america

8. smkspy

Lucy Lawless in the nude, ftw. And I must say, it's a very nice set up jubblies.

9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I watched the 1 st episode, it was like watching a stop action comic book, but I like how it began, I know most like the blood and gore, but I can do without chopping off legs and body parts to tell a story..Leave that to the comic books, and not a TV series, still feel they should give us acting and story development, not just gore..even for a Gladiator its not ALL about the gore..

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :drool: 

I've been wanting to watch this, now I have even more incentive :lol 

11. smkspy

See I didn't have a problem with the gore because that WAS how gladiator battles took place. I had a problem with the dialect. Everyone spoke as if they were in a Tarrintino movie, which is not how people spoke back then...not even slaves and idiots. The gore was about the only authentic aspect to that first episode.

I pleasantly surprised at how awesome she looked. I hate to say it, but the T&A combined with the portrayal of Rome decadence is one of the best aspects of this series.

12. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

The second episode was noticably better as it had less of the 300 style imagery. Hopefully the series will continue in this vein and stop with the endless "slo-mo's". The language was the worst part for me. I'm not one to be offended by language for the most part, but it was overused and felt really out of place for a historical series. Took me right out of the show.

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just watched the first episode on Rogers on Demand. Seems like a pretty decent watch.

14. smkspy

Again, this is the worst part of the series for me. They try too hard to be Deadwood, but even that series was historically inaccurate when it came to its use of language.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Not to mention there's no issues with the languages, Gauls, Thracians, and soldiers of Rome didn't all speak "basic", there should be a language barrier there. Remember, Barbarian comes from the way the people of the Empire made fun of the way the lessers spoke. There's many other issues as well. Overall, it feels like they're just trying to capitalize on the success of 300, Gladiator, God of War, Rome, etc. rather then tell an interesting and exciting story.

Spartacus' story is an interesting one, there's no need to dress it up or apply modern ideals to it.

16. smkspy

I can usually forgive the language simplification for the sake of storytelling. You have a good point, but to actually write interpreters and a language barrier into the story would distract from the overall plot.

Though yeah, you can tell the creators are really hoping to bring in the 300 and Deadwood crowds. At least the story seems to be getting better as the second episode was a great improvement over the first.

17. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Not really, especially since just the cost of buying a a slave to train as gladiator was equivalent to a thoroughbred race horse in modern times, and that does not even factor in training and housing (have to pay to hire a lanista and build/buy a Ludus) so a gladiator was not some thing that there owners would just let be killed in any old fight.

Roman decadence as moden people think of it was practically non-existent at this point. The time Period this is set in (the 70's bce) is a rather consevative time in Roman history thanks in no small part to the dictatorship of Sulla, which having just ended a few years prior to the out break of the Third Servile War (what I would think that Spartacus: Blood and Sand is leading up to). The decadence you are thinking of is about two hundered years away form Spartacus's time.

That said, Lucy Lawless nude? Sign me up.:D 

18. smkspy

This is true. Gladiators were treated as investments. The first episode did well to show the difference of that treatment when Spartacus was first viewed as a slave meant to die at the hands of an actual gladiator, and then in the second episode as an actual investment. Nevertheless, the gore factor which I was originally replying to is pretty accurate.

Very much agreed here, but the sake of show it is passable to be a few hundred years off.

19. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Good point, I guess I should just be happy that they did not add any Doom/Quake monsters like in 300. Hell, it can't be any worse than HBO's Rome. :lol 

20. smkspy

Tonight's episode was really good. Spartacus got his ass handed to him. And damn, Lucy Lawless is sexy a stone cold fox.