Space Shuttle Atlantis Blasts Off For The Last Time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CdnShockwave, May 15, 2010.

1. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I'm rather sad to see the end of the shuttle, particularly without any replacement coming anytime soon. Maybe a few more shuttle missions will be added.

Atlantis Launches Successfully on Last Scheduled Flight (Video) | Universe Today

2. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    sweet

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Gogdog took pics. Where is Gogdog?!?

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Sad to see the program end, but it has had one hell of a run.

5. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    maybe we can start using those hitech weather ballons people keep seeing:dunce  oh wait whats doplar radar for then?

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I agree.

7. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Such a shame with the economy and all we won't be going into space for quite some time. :( 

Aw well, live and let die.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think that the greater tragedy is that we've used the shuttles for 30 years without replacing them, and we still don't have a replacement down the pipe. Don't get me wrong, the shuttles have done an amazing job (I mean, come on, most people don't even keep cars or appliances or electronics 10-15 years, let alone 30), but I think its a shame that there simply hasn't been enough resources allocated to NASA or any sort of multi-national venture such that a newer system could be developed. Then again, the Russians are still using Soyuz rockets, right? So I guess everyone seems to be in the same boat.

What does this mean for NASA space missions? That they'll be relegated to unmanned satellites for the foreseeable future? Or are they going to piggyback off the Russians?

9. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    *tries to not let politics drift in*

The current administration's plan is to allocate funding to private sector to advance that industry and have them lift to Low Earth Orbit. NASA is going to eventually get funding to develop a heavy lift rocket for further missions. The Moon and Mars are still on the agenda, but they've allocated about a buck fiddy to the job.

10. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    with money to be made from the private sector it should take off

11. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

To my understanding NASA is going to be sending astronauts to the ISS via Russian Soyuz. If memory serves me correct, and it seldom does, it's something like $50 million per seat.

Constellation, though officially axed, may still have some life left in it. I remember reading an article that suggested the Orion crew capsule may go ahead but the programme would be cut back for low Earth orbit missions so the Moon and Mars are currently on the back burner. As far as a time frame goes I've heard as early as 2013 to 2025 although I'm skeptical about getting Orion in space by 2013.

The Shuttle programme itself may not be completely out yet though. There have been efforts to get it extended and add four or five more missions. That doesn't really help with getting the next crew vehicle off the ground but it would keep NASA in manned space flight for just a tick longer.

12. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

I guess this means no starfleet when I'm an adult.

Dang it.

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I took the day off and headed east for the day... ended up being about ten miles from the launch site. It was a stunning launch on a beautiful day, the perfect way for Atlantis to go out. Sadly (as orbiters are built for approximately 100 flights), Atlantis is being retired in its prime, after only 32 flights. It's somewhat like buying a gallon of milk for $2 billion and throwing out 2/3 of it.

And that's as much as I can say without expressing some rather intense personal feelings about the current administration and the space program. :) 

14. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Only problem is that there isn't really a market for the private sector. Sure there are NASA contracts, and a few people willing to spend a lifetime's salary on a 10 minute ride in space, but past that there aren't companies looking to do something in Low Earth Orbit.

15. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

virgin mobile has created their own vehicle capable of going into space, and is trying to get the private sector excited about it. but i agree there just isnt enough interest even from billionaires anymore. im sad to see the space shuttle go, and i think space is a much bigger priority than some of the other issues our country deals with :(  just my opinion though..

16. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    But Virgin Mobile's SpaceShipTwo is going to be $200,000 a seat, and it is just getting into space and nowhere near orbit.

17. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

yeah true i should have clarified that, virgins ship only goes like into the outer atmosphere not necessarily where anything orbits. pretty wild still, but even 200,000 is way to much for a seat just to fly really high, i hate the lack of interest in space, i honestly blame the media and reality tv, that glorifies being average or mediocrity.

18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It's not like it's the end of space exploration, the US has continuing space missions, which will launch from glorious nation of Kazakhstan.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about the fledgling private space industry.