Space Could Be The Issue In The Death Of Transformers Animated.

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Mar 26, 2009.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I was reading Toyfare #141 and in it there is an article discussing the new online-only Ghostbusters line from Mattel. Toyfare asks Mattel why this line is offered online only. The response gave some insight into the amount of shelfspace retailers actually have:

The answer was basically that retail space is VERY limited, For example, a retailer like Target only has 40 feet of space (20 on either side of the aisle.) In that 40 feet they have to fit ALL of the summer blockbusters, plus mainstays like Star Wars, Marvel and DC Universes, and Bakugan. They also said that only leaves about a foot of space for new items as well.

That doesn't leave very much retail space for a line like Transformers Animated does it? Especially since there's so many summer blockbusters coming out this year w/toylines. (Star Trek, Transformers, GI Joe.) Also, Transformers itself is one of those blockbusters that will be taking up alot of shelfspace.

IMO it looks more and more like retailers are the ones dictating what happens to TF:A. So what do you think about this?

2. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Well to a certain extent yes, but Hasbro have said that they're relying on TF:A haveing a presence on CN and instores in the years when there isn't a film.

3. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    So there might be a chance that it returns after the movie dies down? Do you have a link to this quote?

4. Pasaway

Pasaway Well-Known Member

Honetly I could totally see it, cause whether you like it or not, $$$ is what drives the Hasbro train. If the retailers arn't willing to stock them, then Hasbro has no reason to produce them, especially considering that Animated was aimed at young children who wouldn't be able to purchase online.

I think the front page had sometihng about there was no listing for TFA in the 2009-2010 returing or new shows for CN. So if it comes back I'm guesing it would have to be on a different network.

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Peg space isn't the main issue because TFs always get plenty of space nowadays. Ghost Busters is a different story because it hasn't been in the public spotlight for nearly 20 years and at best is getting a new video game and maybe a new movie sometime in the next few years.

Mattel would have to fight and scratch and force it's small line of collector aimed figures onto the shelves while TFs would be taking up a third of them.

There are numerous factors attributing to the "end" of Animated. No one thing alone would have really been an issue, but with everything involved together it just gets less and less worth it for Hasbro.

6. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    IMO Animated got squeezed out.....40 feet isn't alot of space for other lines (collector or otherwise.) especially with all of the summer blockbusters coming to hog all of the space and one of them already being Transformers themed.

7. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

I say we get rid of Bakugan, and give that space to Transformers Animated

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I definitely see that as a factor, though hardly the be-all-end-all.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think this is but one piece of the whole pie.

10. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    Ok so we all know that revenga of the fallen will take up alot of shelf space BUt what about the current movie figures that have been gracing our shelfs for the last year? will these be taken down or will the new movie toys sit along side the old ones?

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think because of the size of figures like devastator who will hog a shelf or more to themselves and leaders and such, that this could be an issue, especially at Zellers here, they have literally 4 pegs for deluxes, and a small two foot shelf for leaders and voyagers, but in the big picture, it could also be paramount saying they only want transformers with their logo on them on the shelf for their own profits, etc, we might see them come back after the movie line has warmed shelves for a year or so

12. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

The only space being an issue is the the emptiness in Hasbro's wallet. ROTF is the reason Animated AND Universe are going the way of the Dodo. (Fortunately, Universe is set to return at some point in 2010.)

If space were truly an issue, Universe would've received more shelf/peg space in stores, not this measly 2-3 row set up it has currently.

No, it's about sales and what's going to make the most money. Universe has sold remarkably well where I live. The only thing left on the shelves is an Ultra Class Onslaught, two Voyager Infernos, two of the Cybertron Scattershot repaint (one yellow, one green. WTF?) two of the Jetfire repaint, and two packs of Robot Heroes.

Considering the shelves were stocked to the gills and figures were actually sitting out on the floor...that's pretty impressive in terms of sales.

Animated, admittedly, not so much. (However, since Transwarped has aired, Deluxes are starting to sell like crazy again. There were like 30 on the pegs, down to about 16 or so.)

Animated has sold enough to continue to be profitable (otherwise they'd have scuttled the line by now) but not enough to beat ROTF for shelf space. They could make space, but they're not willing to because ROTF is their ATM basically.

I just hope they haven't made the wrong decision here...because if it does backfire, it could do massive damage to the future of TFs. (keyword: could, not will.)

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    You wonder if Hasbro ever gave any thought to continuing Universe and Animated as online only the way Mattel has been doing He-man and the upcoming Ghostbusters?

14. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Its more than a chance hasbro are as much saying Animated WILL be back in 2010.

from LAST MONTHS 'Licence' magazine

Transformers' 25th Anniversary - License

Start reading below the picture of the bike

Looking to 2010 and a non-movie year, Hasbro is hoping that the animated television series on Cartoon Network and DVDs will keep the Transformers brand strong in the marketplace.

I keep trying to tell people but most seem content to ignore

15. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Where did you read that the ghostbusters line was online only...everything I've read about it says its only the 12" line is a mattycollector.com line, the rest is supposed to hit the stores

16. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    I laugh at these "space" rumors at least in the stores down here it doesn't look like an issue. At one of my local Walmarts they have two 8-10ft long sections devoted to just Transformers that face opposite each other. Animated on one side, Universe and movie left overs on the other. Animated will be back and will fill in the gap between the end of the movie toy hype leading up to the hype for the next movie. We should be happy we live in the days of dvds and Tivo. Our toys aren't going far if they go anywhere.

17. NoenGaruth

NoenGaruth Not liking ze dizzy...

My god! Why are people ignoring this? It's coming from Hasbro themselves and not some rumor from Kickback.

Personaly I see this as a bright ray of hope that TFA will continue again in 2010! =D

18. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly. There are too many different factors that have attributed to Animated's death... not the most of which has been the overall incompetence of how Hasbro has handled the marketing of this line since it started (I mean, seriously, not releasing the toys when the show started airing?).

While I can see shelf space in the coming year being an issue it's not the end all and be all of the issue. With something like Ghostbusters that can totally be the whole issue as (sorry fellow fans) it's not that popular outside of a small niche group of collectors anymore and, while it just got a new game, it's third movie installment has been in developmental Hell for years. It doesn't even have a cartoon anymore either. So, yes, Ghostbusters would a very hard sell to retailers... it's the same issue with why Mattel's He-Man stuff is online only. But, for Animated, not so much. A factor? Yes, but not the big problem.

19. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I haven't seen that, even in what I thought were big stores, so I imagine it's the exception rather than the rule. I wish was though.

I've seen Ben 10 and wrestling figures each get more space than all the TFs. This may even be a problem for TFA, with TFA's products competing with Cartoon Network products like Ben 10. Cartoon Network may be more interested in properties where they get a bigger share of the profits.

I question how well online-only would work, though increasing TF online sales presence gives the walmarts of this world less room to dictate what TFs get made.

But better to have more TFs on shelves. Universe was basically a placeholder to hold onto some of the shelfspace gained during the movie. Animated made up the difference and diversified the brand. Crossovers showed there was room for yet more transformers. By diversifying the brand you crowd out the competition. Given what they've been doing, I think it'd be out of character for Hasbro to surrender shelf space voluntarily.

20. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I take this as a very welcome positive sign. But really there is no Hasbro quote to support it, so it's possible the people at Licensemag may have misinterpreted or speculated based on what they were being told.

What we've seen with Animated is many rumours of its demise, and a deafening silence on the part of Hasbro. Until an official obituary appears in print, there remains the hope that such rumours are greatly exaggerated