Non-TF: Space Battleship Yamato

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Mega-Prime 316, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

Hey guys!
    I know this is not a Transformer, but I thought I'd build this kit and post a few pics to show you all.

This is the 1/500 Space Battleship Yamato. For those of you who don't know, this was the main battleship from the Japanese animated series of the same name, and was also released here in North America under the name Star Blazers.(The ship was also renamed The Argo for the North American release) There is also a live action movie just released in Japan this past December, that I am very anxious to see! While I was searching around the net for stuff on the live action movie I stumbled on this clip of a pretty recent Yamato anime YouTube - Space Battleship Yamato : Resurrection Take Off SUBTITLED

Then I found this one with original theme song YouTube -

2 things happened after I saw these clips...I needed to find the whole movie these clips were from and I wanted to build this model kit!!

Here is the first part(1 of 9) of the anime which someone subtitled for us and over all not too bad!! YouTube - Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection

Now on to the pics!

Attached Files:

2. energonexpress

energonexpress Powerheadtargetmaster

Very nice! That's gotta be huge. I think the ultimate nerd item for me would be a Yamato that turned into Omega Supreme, with the Wave Motion Cannon for a hand.

I'll have to check out that newer movie, had no idea about it. I just watched Final Yamato on Netflix a few weeks ago, they have all the older movies on there right now.

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Nice, I have a model of the actual Battleship Yamato from WW2.

4. Mega-Prime 316

Yeah this kit is the Bandai 1/500 scale. It measures just a bit over 53cm long (about 21 inches) and is about 15cm(6inches) tall from the bottom of the center sensor aray on the hull to the top sensor on the Captain's Lounge on top of the bridge.

5. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

Makes me want to take my Energon Omega out of storage and sing the Starblazers theme.

God, I love the Yamato!

6. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What they said, I used to love StarBlazers. Thanks for sharing this.
    I saw info on the Japanese live action movie recently too and just hope they will dub it and release it stateside!
    That would be one sweet custom if someone would modify Energon Omega Sentinel (or Supreme, just that Sentinel's coloring is closer to Yamato out of the box) into the Yamato. :inquisiti  ponders taking his Omega Sentinel figure out of the box and, hmm.....

7. Budokhan

Budokhan Wheeljack's apprentice

MY FAVORITE ANIME...EVER!!!

Got this same kit sittin pretty on top of my Printer & the 1/350 just waiting & begging to be done. Beautiful job on the ol' girl :thumbs2:  Dontcha just LOVE how the turrets work? Such a brilliant & simple idea!

Always nice to see another Yamato fan on here! I just recently Dl'ed the Resurrection movie & don't know about you but I suddenly felt like I was ten all over again! :D  Btw, if you've not already seen this one, its also pretty bad-ass! YouTube - Space Battleship Yamato: Star Blazers

LONG LIVE THE STARFORCE!!

8. Mega-Prime 316

^^That is a AWESOME clip!!

Thanks for the comments guys!

Yeah after doing this model and watching some of this stuff it had really rekindled that same childhood fondness for Star Blazers!! I'm considering getting the boxed sets and watching em all over again!! :D 

I considered the 1/350 kit to but a little bit outta my price range. Besides I'd be scared to make a mistake!! LOL

9. Budokhan

Dude, you should definitely get the box sets, they're fairly cheap now & well worth the memories! As far as the 1/350 kit goes, aside from the price, ( which I totally understand) don't be scared! :lol  She's not all that much harder than the new 1/500 & the parts are larger to boot! The only thing about the kit that's even really time consuming is the internal electronic & motion activated stuff but If you take your time & follow the instructions carefully ( we both know the instructions are easy to read despite their being in Japanese! :D  ) You should have no problems! Again,I totally understand the whole price range thing tho, she is pretty expensive! Waaay back when it first was announced in Hobby Japan, I started piling on the overtime at work so I had the funds to get it when it got released. No way was I gonna miss out on the kit I had been waiting for since I was a little kid!

In all seriousness tho, if you can ever float it financially, ya gotta promise yourself NOT to miss out! Believe me, She's worth every penny!

Also, just thought Id share with you guys the very first Yamato/Argo model I ever had. I made it when I was like eleven I think, around 1981 or so & I carved it from Balsa wood & painted it with Testor's enamels!
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm44/budokhan/Space%20Battleship%20Yamato/MyveryFirstYAMATOmodel.jpg

Cheers!

10. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

Always wanted one of those. That's beautiful, nice job.

11. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Awesome! One of my favorite Animes and one of my favorite space craft! The only thing better (in my humble opinion) than the Yamato is Captain Harlock's Arcadia (The switchblade one!)

You did a fantastic job and thanks for taking me back to my childhood!

12. Mega-Prime 316

Thanks for the comments guys!!
    Here's a question to ponder....Of all the space battleships to come and go over the ages, how well do you think the Yamato would stack up against such greats as the U.S.S. Enterprise, or the Battlestar Glactica or the SDF-1?? Let me know what ya think! ;) 

13. energonexpress

energonexpress Powerheadtargetmaster

Enterprise wasn't a war ship, just an exploration ship with some defenses. The Galactica isn't nearly manuverable enough, it'd be Wave Motion Cannoned easily. The SDF-1 I'd say is a good argument. Epic space battle with lots of small fighters deploying. The battle ends when the two captains compliment each others stylish retro navy outfits.

14. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

That question just made me think about how Enterprise had a deflector shield, and how Yamato had such an awesome defense. How freakin cool was it that Yamato could cover itself with rock or have the rocks form a ring around the ship to defend against enemy fire?

15. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    beautiful.

16. Mega-Prime 316

I was thinking more along the lines of Space Battleship Yamato VS "fill in the challenger" not necessarily the ones I mentioned..lol Just a fun thought! :D 

17. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    BTW awesome work but could a modified Energon Omega Supreme also work :D 

EDIT: like so, just a quick digibash... but your work is wonderful!!

Attached Files:

18. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I love me some sci-fi/space anime... anyone watch most of the Yamato anime series? Wondering what of the bunch I should check out, or if I should just watch a few of the movies. Trying to research a little.

19. Budokhan

I'd personally recommend watching the original shows first & in order,so that you can get the most out of the entire series ( which in order were , "The Gamilons", "the White Comet Empire" & then "The Bolar Wars". )

Also,preferably in the original Japanese if you can find 'em that way. Space Battleship Yamato was, and still is, an ongoing, continuous "Space Opera" that is rich with great character development & cool-ass Starships! The movies were kind of shortened, heavily edited versions of the individual series

I've seen almost all the shows & movies over the years soooo many times & they are by far some of the most engaging sci-fi anime thats ever been created. Then again, I may be biased by the fact that STARBLAZERS is what got me started with my lifelong love of anime, so it will always & forever be my favorite above all others!

20. Budokhan

Space Battleship Yamato VS The Zentraedi Fleet?