Space Battleship Yamato dilemma

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Takeshi357, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    So after watching all three classic shows and four of the associated movies plus Resurrection and the live action movie, I'm still craving for a Yamato fix that only a good toy ship can satisfy.

But there's a problem. I can save up for something like the Soul of Popynica or Chogokin, no big deal, but the deal breaker to me is, which one can take more abuse? I recently bought the 1/2000 scale Aoshima Enterprise-D and as awesome as it looks, it's too flimsy and thus fails to sate my childlike need to occasionally pick it up from the shelf so I can wave it around while making woosh sounds.

Well okay, the real issue with the Enterprise is simply that the magnet holding the stardrive section and the saucer section is too weak, which is a problem Yamato obviously won't be suffering from, and since I won't exactly be bashing it against the cupboard, my question boils down to this; which Yamato feels more solid if you give it a shakin'?

2. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I'd probably say go with the latest SOC version, it is said to be the most accurate (anime version) and it's SOC, which means it's a solid ship. Popynica has all these opening hatches, probably make swooshing harder.

Some reviews

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  3. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Hi Takeshi.

I haven't had a chance to respond to you via YouTube so here goes. I'm not sure the extent by which you "abuse" your toys. But the GX-57 is much safer to swoosh around the house. You don't need to worry about all the extra gimmicks (hatches and ports) that was on the BPX-01 getting in the way.

BTW. The GX-57 is on sale at HLJ right now. :) 

4. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was kinda inclined to think the SOC is more durable, because I've noticed quite a few reviewers have pointed out to SOP having all those little antennas and stuff being bent out of box. The only thing that bugs me about SOC is the amount of die cast, and the potential for paint chipping, but I guess that can't be avoided - plus it's better than a flat-out broken toy. BPX also has the pop-out wings compared to SOC's plug-in ones, but they're apparently not very good anyway. Looks like SOC it is! :) 

And I suppose "abuse" is a bit extreme word to use, the Enterprise I mentioned comes apart even when I'm just trying to place it back on the stand. The DST Enterprise, if I recall correctly, had three magnets instead of just one.

Also nice to see you're on this forum too, pinoi :D 

5. pinoy78

I've had problems with both of my DST Starship Legends. I own the 1701-A and 1701-D and both have had their stands broken near the ball joint.

It's a good thing they have excellent customer service. They ended up sending my replacements free of charge. BTW. When are we getting the 1701-E Nemesis reissue?

6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I realized I don't have to wait until payday to order the GX-57 since HLJ takes their time to even send the bill, plus I get paid on 22nd anyway. Plus I'm turning in some profit selling some of my TFs and other stuff so I can afford it already. Decided to cancel my order for the Encore Devastator, I'm sure it'll still be there next month.

Yeah, the stands on the Art Asylum ships are really crap. I at least managed to somehow patch up my TOS Enterprise's stand since it was the plug and not the balljoint that broke (though it's really flimsy but at least it stands up) but my 1701-A had no such hope. The only GOOD stand was the one that came with 1701-E; why couldn't they do a stand like that for the other ships?

Also wanna by my 1701-E? :D 

7. pinoy78

Hmmmmmmm. Pics?
    I'm actually looking for a Nemesis repaint.

DST still hasn't gotten back to me about the reissue.

8. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits: