Southpark 4-5-06

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by REDLINE, Apr 6, 2006.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Another new episode! It had some pretty funny moments.. but I think my overall reaction is wth? :lol  I REALLY want to know where they're going with the writers of Family Guy next week! ... Will be interesting to see if Family Guy ends up retaliating in the future as well.

Andy

2. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I think any point that Family Guy could ever come up with would really be lost since it takes so much longer to put out an episode of Family Guy compared to taking only a week to make an episode of South Park.

3. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Plus Family Guy and South Park have completely different age group demographics, the humor would be lost.

4. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I'm doubting that they'll continue the story.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    if they were such different age demographics, then why would they use it for their story? I feel they're about the same, or at least largly overlapping. and if they dont continue the story, then the whole episode will honestly not make any sense whatsoever *L*

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I used to mod at the offical FG forum, the FG sections are all 13 and 14 year olds. I think FG appeals to a larger demographic, but I think Sout Park humor would be lost on FG episode unless you're something more than a causal fan of both shows. These shows don't complete, different time slots and networks. Matt and Tray are just sick of being compared to FG. Or maybe I hate the show from dealing with kids asking for epsiode names for my entire time as mod. Who knows? :p 

7. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I could kinda see why Frognal would think that--the whole episode is not just about Family Guy/South Park, but also a parody of the Muslim cartoon protest and also Comedy Central's pulling the rerun of the Scientology episode.

If they don't do a second part, they could pretend that Comedy Central pulled the episode because of religious pressure, and maybe do an episode where they just make passing references to the nonexistant second parter.

But I'm still hoping a second part was actually made.

8. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

For those of us that don't watch South Park - what was the tie to Family Guy?

9. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

It was an ok episode. Not as funny as 'smug' or 'return of chef' though.

10. Drake

11. Drake

12. Shipwreck

Plot
    Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.
    The town freaks out when Family Guy shows an episode with the Prophet Muhammad as a character, though he appears only in a brief cutaway drinking tea; they freak out and hide in the Community Center (see "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow"). The episode winds up being censored, but it is revealed that a second half of the two-parter, without censors of Muhammad, will be shown. Kyle, who likes the show, finds no problem and thinks it's wrong to censor Family Guy; shockingly, Cartman actually finds it to be offensive and declares it's wrong to do this. Kyle thinks he is faking, but when Cartman gives an impassioned speech about keeping people from getting hurt, Kyle is guilted and, after a terrible dream where he and Ike are killed, agrees to go with Cartman to get the episode pulled.

The people in South Park, however, decide to bury their heads in the sand, as a way of showing Muslim terrorists they don't want to insult them; on the way to Hollywood, however, Cartman suddenly reveals something shocking---he simply wants Family Guy taken off the air, and wants to use fear to destroy free speech. Cartman reveals that people always assume he loves Family Guy, but he finds it stupid, as it uses jokes without having a point to them (see Matt Stone and Trey Parker's opinions on Family Guy.). Kyle and Cartman then begin a Big Wheel race to get to Hollywood first, to decide the fate of the show.

People literally bury their heads in sand; meanwhile, Kyle loses his Big Wheel as a result of Cartman throwing various objects at him (the Big Wheel also explodes), and yells profanity as a result of not being able get to Los Angeles. President Bush meets with the FOX executives, who say that something secret about the Family Guy writers must be revealed.

At this point, it is suddenly revealed this is a two-part South Park and the conclusion will be explained in the next episode. This, however, might be a prank. According to the ending and the "Next Week On South Park" segment, President Bush Cartman will learn a horrible secret about the Family Guy writers that supposedly "explains everything", while the entire nation buries its head in sand. The Next Week On South Park segment hinted that Cartman and Kyle were finally going to have a fight, at last venting years of hatred against each other.

[edit]
    Quotes
    Cartman: How would you feel, Kyle, if there was a cartoon out there that made fun of Jews all the time?
    Cartman: Don't you ever, EVER compare me to 'Family Guy,' you hear me Kyle? Compare me to 'Family Guy' again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand! Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: 'Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?' 'Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of "Family Guy" Cartman!' I am nothing like Family Guy! When I make jokes they are inherent to a story! Deep situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a point, not just one random interchangable joke after another!
    Quote From Closing Voiceover Commentary: Will networks executives stand up for free speech? Or will Comedy Central puss out?
    [edit]
    Trivia
    In this episode, Parker and Stone appear to be voicing their discontent with the apparent lack of will by television executives to stand up for free speech (particularly against attacks from the religious community). It seems very likely that the episode was aimed at drawing attention to the fact that companies pulled certain episodes of South Park after Scientologists and Catholics each complained that the episodes show mocked their religious beliefs, and the failure of Comedy Central to stand its ground against them.
    This episode references the cartoon series Family Guy, a show Trey Parker and Matt Stone have been known to dislike. (see Criticism of Family Guy)
    South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have expressed their discontent at being put at the same comedic level as Family Guy. Nevertheless, in this episode they seem to use Family Guy as a way of mocking South Park themselves—for example, Cartman points out that it's wrong for a cartoon to mock religions (it's okay for him, as a kid), and other points out it's stupid, vulgar and potty-mouthed.
    It is ironic that the episode is about censoring the image of Muhammad, when in an earlier episode, "Super Best Friends", they showed the Islamic Prophet with no controversy.
    This episode could also be poking fun at South Park's recent religious controversy, for example in "Trapped in the Closet" and "Bloody Mary", or the Family Guy episode "When You Wish upon a Weinstein"-which has at times been censored since Cartoon Network approved its airing, and did not air for three years.
    A scene in the episode parodies the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day during a dream sequence of a nuclear bomb exploding.
    Burying one's head in the sand is a behavior commonly attributed to the ostrich while feeding, and is typically used as a metaphor for hiding from reality. Whether this metaphor is fair to the ostrich is a matter of debate, as no scientific record has ever shown evidence of such behavior.
    This episode also references the recent Muslim protest over the Danish comic strip depicting Muhammad with a bomb under his turban.
    Parts of this episode may be construed as breaking the fourth wall, particularly comments by Eric Cartman comparing his humor with that of the Family Guy, which echo Parker and Stone's resentment to being compared to Family Guy.
    Music from the movie Team America: World Police can be heard near the ending of the episode.
    It is speculated (but not known) that the writers of Family Guy will be revealed to be either Scientologists, the Super Adventure Club, or Crab People.
    The TV Reporter mentions that the Muhammed episode of Family guy was actually the first part of a two-parter, and in the second one they would actually show Muhammed uncensored. This is perhaps a hidden preview of next weeks South Park episode where the creators may show Muhammed uncensored themselves.
    In this parody, Peter Griffin's nose was far longer than on the show, suggesting a phallic connotation to couple his chin, which the Family Guy writers have previously suggested resemble testicles.

13. Shipwreck

Plot
    The town freaks out when Family Guy shows an episode with the Prophet Muhammad as a character, though he appears only in a brief cutaway drinking tea; they freak out and hide in the Community Center (see "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow"). The episode winds up being censored, but it is revealed that a second half of the two-parter, without censors of Muhammad, will be shown. Kyle, who likes the show, finds no problem and thinks it's wrong to censor Family Guy; shockingly, Cartman actually finds it to be offensive and declares it's wrong to do this. Kyle thinks he is faking, but when Cartman gives an impassioned speech about keeping people from getting hurt, Kyle is guilted and, after a terrible dream where he and Ike are killed, agrees to go with Cartman to get the episode pulled.

The people in South Park, however, decide to bury their heads in the sand, as a way of showing Muslim terrorists they don't want to insult them; on the way to Hollywood, however, Cartman suddenly reveals something shocking---he simply wants Family Guy taken off the air, and wants to use fear to destroy free speech. Cartman reveals that people always assume he loves Family Guy, but he finds it stupid, as it uses jokes without having a point to them (see Matt Stone and Trey Parker's opinions on Family Guy.). Kyle and Cartman then begin a Big Wheel race to get to Hollywood first, to decide the fate of the show.

People literally bury their heads in sand; meanwhile, Kyle loses his Big Wheel as a result of Cartman throwing various objects at him (the Big Wheel also explodes), and yells profanity as a result of not being able get to Los Angeles. President Bush meets with the FOX executives, who say that something secret about the Family Guy writers must be revealed.

At this point, it is suddenly revealed this is a two-part South Park and the conclusion will be explained in the next episode. This, however, might be a prank. According to the ending and the "Next Week On South Park" segment, President Bush Cartman will learn a horrible secret about the Family Guy writers that supposedly "explains everything", while the entire nation buries its head in sand. The Next Week On South Park segment hinted that Cartman and Kyle were finally going to have a fight, at last venting years of hatred against each other.

[edit]
    Quotes
    Cartman: How would you feel, Kyle, if there was a cartoon out there that made fun of Jews all the time?
    Cartman: Don't you ever, EVER compare me to 'Family Guy,' you hear me Kyle? Compare me to 'Family Guy' again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand! Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: 'Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?' 'Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of "Family Guy" Cartman!' I am nothing like Family Guy! When I make jokes they are inherent to a story! Deep situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a point, not just one random interchangable joke after another!
    Quote From Closing Voiceover Commentary: Will networks executives stand up for free speech? Or will Comedy Central puss out?
    [edit]
    Trivia
    In this episode, Parker and Stone appear to be voicing their discontent with the apparent lack of will by television executives to stand up for free speech (particularly against attacks from the religious community). It seems very likely that the episode was aimed at drawing attention to the fact that companies pulled certain episodes of South Park after Scientologists and Catholics each complained that the episodes show mocked their religious beliefs, and the failure of Comedy Central to stand its ground against them.
    This episode references the cartoon series Family Guy, a show Trey Parker and Matt Stone have been known to dislike. (see Criticism of Family Guy)
    South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have expressed their discontent at being put at the same comedic level as Family Guy. Nevertheless, in this episode they seem to use Family Guy as a way of mocking South Park themselves—for example, Cartman points out that it's wrong for a cartoon to mock religions (it's okay for him, as a kid), and other points out it's stupid, vulgar and potty-mouthed.
    It is ironic that the episode is about censoring the image of Muhammad, when in an earlier episode, "Super Best Friends", they showed the Islamic Prophet with no controversy.
    This episode could also be poking fun at South Park's recent religious controversy, for example in "Trapped in the Closet" and "Bloody Mary", or the Family Guy episode "When You Wish upon a Weinstein"-which has at times been censored since Cartoon Network approved its airing, and did not air for three years.
    A scene in the episode parodies the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day during a dream sequence of a nuclear bomb exploding.
    Burying one's head in the sand is a behavior commonly attributed to the ostrich while feeding, and is typically used as a metaphor for hiding from reality. Whether this metaphor is fair to the ostrich is a matter of debate, as no scientific record has ever shown evidence of such behavior.
    This episode also references the recent Muslim protest over the Danish comic strip depicting Muhammad with a bomb under his turban.
    Parts of this episode may be construed as breaking the fourth wall, particularly comments by Eric Cartman comparing his humor with that of the Family Guy, which echo Parker and Stone's resentment to being compared to Family Guy.
    Music from the movie Team America: World Police can be heard near the ending of the episode.
    It is speculated (but not known) that the writers of Family Guy will be revealed to be either Scientologists, the Super Adventure Club, or Crab People.
    The TV Reporter mentions that the Muhammed episode of Family guy was actually the first part of a two-parter, and in the second one they would actually show Muhammed uncensored. This is perhaps a hidden preview of next weeks South Park episode where the creators may show Muhammed uncensored themselves.
    In this parody, Peter Griffin's nose was far longer than on the show, suggesting a phallic connotation to couple his chin, which the Family Guy writers have previously suggested resemble testicles.

14. Shipwreck

Plot

[edit]
    Quotes
    [edit]
    Trivia

15. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Since when does humor have to be deeply rooted into the story? It's a dumb reason to attack Family Guy. The show makes me laugh, I don't give two shits if they go off on a tangent completely unrelated to the story. That is the beauty about comedy, there isn't a formula.

Sorry Stone and Parker, you did not invent comedy, and relying on shock comedy every episode has become rather stale. Maybe it's time to pull the plug.

16. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great episode. This whole season has been great so far. The humor isn't as crude as some past seasons. You really have to think about some of the underlying messages.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked this one a lot; better than "Smug" but not even close to the quality of "Return of Chef" (the latter is going to be a very tough episode to ever top). I liked the jabs at multiple angles (Family Guy, the Mohammed cartoons, South Park itself, Comedy Central, etc) and there were multiple hilarious bits. The big wheel chase went on a little long and the "someone makes a reasoned speech which the townspeople promptly ignore" has been used way too often on the show. However, the 'Family Guy' animations were dead-on and the terrorist leader translations were great. Also was expecting Cartman to be pro-Family Guy and the switch was a good touch.

Beyond that though...the reaction to the episode has been fairly predictable, especially from the ardent Family Guy fans. FG seems to have joined Star Wars as one of those things one absolutely can't make a bad comment about on without getting jumped on by the collective internet (not necessarily this board, but the pro-Family Guy people on a few other sites I lurk have been getting vicious over "Cartoon War").

18. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

I thought while they were taking shots at Family Guy, alot of the shots they made at them were more self referencial. The whole free speech thing and the like.

19. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Family Guy isn't a flawless show by any means. For example, for some reason I was really bothered in an episode a few weeks back when Brian owed Stewie money and Stewie shot him and assaulted him. It wasn't funny at all to me.

But overall I find it to be a funny show. I haven't seen this South Park episode yet, but it sounds like Stone and Parker are jealous of the renewed success of FG, based on what I am reading. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Wow. Sometimes I wish I had cable/Dish so I could see that stuff.