South Park 4-12-06

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eric, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    ....wow. That has got to be the most f***ed up episode yet. Anyone else watch?

EDIT: And when I mean f***ed up, I mean F***ING HILARIOUS! :lol :lol :lol 

2. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yes.

Now the Big Question- Did Comedy Central actually pull it, or was that another of Matt & Trey's jokes and was supposed to happen???

The "Prophet Muhammed" debate is kinda pointless, anyway. "South Park" showed an image of Muhammed five seasons ago during the SuperBestFriends and got away with it without ANY trouble!

3. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

That was even funnier than last weeks. :lol 

4. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    How about a review for those of us who didn't catch it?

5. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Essentially... {spoiler}

It starts off with a Terrence and Phillip short (like the Cartman's mom two-parter).

Cartman beats Kyle to L.A. and is told to speak with the Family Guy writing staff- which is just a bunch of manatees that write jokes by pulling five random balls with words on them from their tank. Carman gets help from Bart Simpson and they convince the network to pull Family Guy.

Kyle ends up convincing Bart Simpson to help him and they get the Family Guy episode put back on.

When it comes time to show Muhammed in "Family Guy," the screen goes black with the words "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Muhammed on their network."

As retaliation, the Muslim community releases an anti-American video (basically consisting of people taking a shit on the American flag) saying "THAT WAS WAY FUNNIER THAN FAMILY GUY!"

6. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I kinda liked the point they made last night though, that either everything can be made fun of, or you shouldn't make fun of anything all together, that their shouldn't be some things off topic and yet others are free game. I just thought that was a cool idea and true.

EDIT-

Oh and to add, when they started out with the Terrance and Phillip stuff, I actually said, "Oh crap, they didn't?" out loud. I thought they might actually try to do another Cartman's Dad type fake out.

7. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Meh.

I've always hated South Park, and then I start kinda liking it after watching an episode about four days ago and then I see the commercial of the episode of them dissing Family Guy. I did not like it at all. There's just so much hate I have for South Park right now, sheez. I know that the actual point of the episode was not about cartoons fighting each other but damn, they sure went out of their way to immaturely diss Family Guy.

You know what South Park? FG's writing is top notch, witty, and unpredictable. In fact, it is the constant flashbacks and cutaways that keep the show random, witty and fresh. So allow me, at least for a second, to sink to SP's level of maturity: SOUTH PARK SUCKS!

8. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I watched the tail end of it, I thought it was funny, carlos mencia is funnier though.

9. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

First, the answer is YES, CC did indeed pull the image of Mohammad. I've found at least on reviewer who called the network to verify this.

I was curious to see if SP would show Mohammed. Parker and Stone are masters of having their cake AND eating it too (like making a vulgar cartoon that criticizes parents who let their kids watch vulgar cartoons), and in part one, the successfully skewered those who feared showing Cartoon Mohammed with actually doing it themselves. I wondered if they would be ballsy enough to try (they didn't need to - the point was made, and it wouldn't serve the story- but its nice to lead by example), and I'm glad to see that they tried.

Second, the Terrance and Phillip thing was brilliant. Why? The last time they did it, THEY GOT DEATH THREATS! Kind of keeps with the theme of the show, no? Of course, the first time it wasn't really all that funny, or at least not enough for 22 minutes of television, and they wisely bailed out after a few minutes (conceding their own fallability).

Bart Simpson getting in on the act was nice, but didn't quite go anywhere. The manatee gag was cute, but not uproarious. The best thing was that they poked fun at themsleves

In the end, this episode served more as editorial than entertainment. It makes some great points, and deservedly shames most of the Western media. I think its most poignant point went unstated - CC would not let a benign image of Mohammad air, but it had no problem showing Jesus Christ shitting on the President.

10. misterd

Actually that falls well below the level of SP's maturity.

SP not only said FG sucks, but went out of their way to explain WHY they didn't like it. It also acknowleged that some people like it, and didn't present that as some horrible social stigma. Oddly, those on SP who most disliked FG were the unsavory characters (notably Cartman, Mrs. Brovloski, and Usama Bin Laden), while Kyle, the closest thing the show has to a voice of reason, adored FG.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hey, yeah. they did show muhammad previously in the superfriends episode, didnt they?

i guess, subliminally SP does kinda get heavy handed sometimes with the whole holier than thou attitude, but whenever the urge to overreact comes upon me i remind myself ITS A FRICKIN CARTOON.

12. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I thought it was funny though how they made fun of themselves last night with the guy who gave Kyle a ride, saying he can't stand those shows that get all preachy and try to give a message.

13. misterd

For truly F'd up, I would vote for the Forest Animal Nativity episode a couple years ago.

14. jet convoy

Yeah, but saying it over and over and over again and then having Bart Simpson keep writing on that wall, "Family Guy sucks" over and over again.

I don't know, I find this kind of unproffesional. I don't see Family Guy rip into SP. I can't wait till they do, but something tells me Macfarlane is not in the mood to actually start a cartoon beef.

BTW, has anyone noticed how most other comedy cartoons hate on FG? That's some jealous shit right there.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I wish i had cable so I could see it. I love both Family Guy and South Park, but Matt and Trey are some of my personal heroes. They are just pure freaking genuises. The box sets don't come out soon enough:( 

16. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Family Guy won't react because it takes them way too long to make an episode.

The Simpsons hating Family Guy is a true thing. Family Guy isn't witty they just put a bunch of random things together to make a joke. You can take one joke from one episode and place it into the other and you can't tell the difference. They aren't jealous, they are tired of being lumped in the same group as Family Guy when they are totally different.

17. jet convoy

But the jokes themselves are witty as hell. I still haven't seenanything in SP that could be considered "witty".

So what if they're tired of being grouped together with FG? The way SP tried to get their point across just completely turned me off the whole thing.

18. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Give me an example of them being witty

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I'd like to see that too. All I've seen are (a) "gags" that run too long and (b) pop culture references straight out of the manatee tank. I'm also still waiting for someone to explain why the critics of Family Guy must be 'jealous'. Maybe...just maybe...they just don't like FG and are merely stating their opinion/reasons. I mean, are those here who are criticizing South Park jealous of it? The feeling I get is that it's a case of "what? they don't like Family Guy? since I like Family Guy, it would be impossible for anyone to have logical reasons to dislike the show. therefore, they must be jealous of it."

Anywho, on topic. I thought it was a decent episode, but not one of the best. This definitely could have been condensed to one part and not lost very much. The manatee tank was funny and there was a lot of great commentary. However, the Kyle/Cartman fight went on too long (although I saw someone suggest that was a parody of the FG 'jokes that run too long') and the Bart Simpson and 'heads in the sand' subplots didn't really go anywhere. They were also a little heavy-handed in places.

As a general comment on the two-parter, it's kind of sad that the true meanings of these episodes is being lost in the "Family Guy sucks" vs "we must vehemently defend Family Guy from any disparaging comments" noise. I think Stone/Parker would have been able to get the real message across much more effectively if they'd used "Terrance and Philip" in place of "Family Guy" as the source of the Muhammed appearances.

20. jet convoy

Witty stuff. Hmm, I'm kinda tired so I'm just gonna jack quotes randomly from the internet:

Chris Griffin: Where do you think you go when you die?
    Southern boy: I learned from church that if you're good you go to heaven but if you're bad, you go to a place where the dead believe they're still living and they pray for death but death won't come.
    Chris Griffin: UPN?

Peter Griffin: Since I took over as President our profits have been higher than Alyssa Milano.
    Alyssa Milano: Of all the cheap shots... Joel!
    Joel: I'm on it, I'm on it, I'm suing, I'm suing

Charles Lindbugh has just accidentally flushed his baby down the toilet while potty training]
    Charles Lindburgh: OK, don't panic. He was kidnapped. You go phone the police, I'll write the note.
    Mrs. Lindburgh: [pointing at Amelia Earhart] But what about Amelia? She saw everything.
    Charles Lindburgh: You leave her to me...

Glen Quagmire: Tuesdays in the '80s I was always in bed by 8... and home by 11.

[Peter has to come up with a fake name on the spot, so he looks around the room to get inspiration]
    Peter Griffin: Uh... my name is...
    [he sees a pea]
    Peter Griffin: Pea...
    [he sees a woman crying]
    Peter Griffin: ... tear...
    [he sees a Griffin fly by]
    Peter Griffin: ... Griffin. Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin: If you could be stranded on a desert island with any woman in the world, who would it be?
    Glen Quagmire: Taylor Hanson.
    Joe Swanson: Taylor Hanson is a guy.
    Glen Quagmire: [Laughs] You guys are yankin' me. "Hey, let's put one over on Quagmire."
    Peter Griffin: No, he's actually a guy, Quagmire.
    Glen Quagmire: What? That's insane. That's impossible.
    [pause]
    Glen Quagmire: Oh god. Oh my god. I've got all these magazines. Oh god.

Peter Griffin: Hey, where's my VCR?
    Hillbilly #1: Dangit, Buck, it's my turn to use the sex box.
    Hillbilly #2: It's *my* sex box. And her name is Sony.

Peter Griffin: Lois, our son has been blessed with a great gift. And I am going to everything I can to nurture that talent and help him succeed, then I'm going to use him to live out all my frustrated hopes and dreams. Because that's good parenting, right Bing Crosby?
    Bing Crosby: That's right Peter, and if your kids give you any lip you can beat them with a sack of sweet Velency Oranges. They won't leave a bruise and it'll let 'em know who's boss, there's nooo doubt about it.
    Peter Griffin: That... That doesn't sound right.
    Bing Crosby: Are you givin' me lip boy? Because I'll take this belt off and put the smack down on you, is that what you want?
    [takes his belt off and whips Peter a few times]

[Peter makes a joke during a Christmas play]
    Spectator #1: Outrageous! How dare he say such blasphemy! I've got to do something!
    Spectator #2: Bob, there's nothing you can do.
    Spectator #1: Well, I guess I'll just have to develop a sense of humor.

Shall I go on?