Soundwave's voice.

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Sideways77, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Sideways77

Sideways77 some garbage is okay

News Credits:
    I know Soundwave likes to use recorded voices (like Arcee and Fowler), but behind that, a musical voice can be heard.

So Soundwave basicaly has a voice similar to his RoTF the game voice?

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Probably.

3. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm waiting that Starscream is owned by Megatron that Soundwave would say, "Soundwave,Superior! Starscream,Inferior!"

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At the moment he has no voice. He just replays others with effects added to them.

But he and Bee need to get voices yesterday. Get Mr. Welker to do Soundwave.

5. Sideways77

News Credits:
    Well, behind the recordings, you hear what sounds like the RoTF video game Soundwave's voice.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It's not his voice, it's just when he plays back people's voices they're processed like Soundwave.

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    I actually like Soundwave voiceless. It gives him a very sinister feel. You never know if he's plotting something, and I really like that, him being essentially a spymaster and all.

8. vipertaja

vipertaja Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree here. I think the fact that he has no face and echoes what others say makes him rather sinister. People seem to think this means he has no personality, but it IS a personality. The way he keeps an eye on Starscream clearly shows he has an agenda.

Some interpretations of G1 Soundwave suggest he uses his voice and face as a sort of "pokerface" and this version of Soundwave seems to take it even further.

As much as I love the G1 type voice, I think it could be cool if this Soundwave did not use/have his own voice.

9. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    When starscream killed him couldn't you hear him groaning in pain.

10. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You think the same thing that happend to Bumblebee happend to him?

11. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I don't mind Soundwave not talking. I just hope we get to see in in battle.

The last two series showed us Soundwave can be effective as Screamer in when it comes to battle.

What I want is Bumblebee to be like Bumblebee and not transforming R2-D2.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Roberto and Alex love Frank Welker, and I'm sure that whenever Soundwave speaks, vocoder or not, it'll be Frank behind it.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I'm kinda getting tired of the voiceless gimmick, because for the most part that's all it is - a gimmick. I don't mind it as much on Soundwave as I do on the Prime version of Bumblebee. Soundwave is a sort of menacing, subversive character whose silence seems to make him more threatening. Bumblebee needs a damn voice already, it's worn out, it worked great in the movieverse but it's really flogging a dead horse on TFP.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have to disagree. Soundwave as voiceless makes him boring and lifeless. He's not a character, he's a plot device or set piece. He's a tool used to make the plot go forward. The same thing is how I view Bee as well.

Speechlessness needs to die. These characters NEED voices. Otherwise they're boring.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    You could not be more wrong.

Being voiceless means your actions, not your words speak for you. this means that we get to see these characters personalities, rather than be told them. When you don't have a voice, it's all body language and actions, which speak far more than words. Soundwave's choice of recordings and how he edits them speak for him.

That is Bumblebee.

16. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

What needs to die is this mentality right here, that a character isn't a character without a voice. This is BS. plain and simple.

Now I get the whole Bee thing. Movie-verse, everyone is sick of it, sick of him. Blah de blah blah blah..

But, just on the concept of a voiceless characters in general, an animated character does not need to have a voice in order to have a personality.
    Animators have been bringing voiceless characters to life for years. The trick is that rather then the personality coming through a voice actor, it's coming through the animator's talents in creating the characters body language. In the case of Soundwave, this is very subtle and very effective in creating a very mysteriously intriguing character, that is a lot more interesting then just a goon who speaks in a monochrome voice.

The personality of the animation works for Bee as well. But I know no one wants to hear that, because you're all sick to death of Bay-Bee, and just want him to go away. But still, like him or not, as a voiceless character, he still actually works as a character. He's just a character that people are sick of.

17. Sideways77

News Credits:
  18. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    You sure about that?

Compare him to G1 Bumblebee and Animated Bumblebee. Even compare him to the likes of Armada Hot Shot or RID Sideburn. This Bumblebee just goes bweep bweep and tries to do imitations of I can haz energon burger.

To me, the Five Man Band of Prime is

Hero- OP and Jack
    Lancer- Arcee
    Smart Guy- Ratchet and Raf
    Big Guy- Bulkhead
    Chick- Miko
    Team pet- Bumblebee

19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Soundwave's action most assuredly give him a personality.

We've seen him "troll" Miko. We've seen him remind Starscream of Megatron's primacy. We saw him all but stare Starscream down and made him go into space after Megs. We watched him send his drone after Screamer to ensure nothing happened to Megatron immediately afterwards. We've even seen him physically restrain Starscream from striking a valuable prisoner. We then saw him sneak up on the humans in Greece and then essentially claim credit for the successful theft of the energon harvester.

Seems to me like he's got personality in spades. He sure as slag doesn't trust Starscream and even though Screamer is the nominal leader, Soundwave essentially just acts right over him without permission or so much as being questioned.

- Coeloptera

20. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Mute characters can't be interesting? Do we have to do EVERYTHING so formulaic? Mute characters are EXCELLENT formats to show a lot of characterization. Actions, facial expressions, body language tells A LOT. I hate to say it but perhaps a study in historical mute characters would help show just how strong a character can be shown even without spoken language.

Bumblebee's boop and beeps are annoying for sure. I think that should be changed into real speech, but Soundwave is perfect.