Soundwave's Minions in Classics

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Duximus Prime, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    With the exception of Ravage as a cassette with Universe Hound, the recent repaints and originals used to represent Soundwave's minions with a classics aesthetic have all forgone their tape alternate modes in favor of having a proper robot mode with an alt mode that pays homage to their G1 look. I'm okay with this, as the original G1 cassette toys do a pretty great job of fitting those constraints while still being fun and semi-cartoon accurate.

That said, I've come to create my own internal mythology about the modern updates of Soundwave's minions in my classics collection: either that their modes are pre- (in the case of Ratbat and perhaps Laserbeak) or post-cassette earth modes (Overkill and Rumble/Frenzy). One might even be able to reason that Ratbat's vehicle design is futuristic/Cybertronian ala Cyclonus and Laserbeak's (RotF Skytalker repaint) is an unmanned drone like Blastoff, being able to fit them all into a post-casette timeline.

So far this is what I've put together: [​IMG]

What all does everyone else use for their modern updates of the cassetteicons?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'm just gonna get the FOC Soundwave, and his legends class data disc minions.

I still have Overkill, and United Frenzy and Rumble, but whatever can be replaced by the tiny new guys, will.

3. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I use the same ones you do (minus Laserbeak; the Skystalker mold is more Movie than Classics to me, and I don't own that version of it yet anyway). I also use USB Ravage as my Classics Ravage.

Mythos-wise, I guess I think of most of them as post-Soundwave, after they've flown the coop and gotten their own free-standing alt modes.

I'm still sad we never got a purple Beastbox repaint of that Real Gear game controller gorilla-bot. That seemed like such a no-brainer repaint, and would have made a perfect Classics Beastbox.

4. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    i want the united pair but until then i just have Robot Heroes Frenzy and USB Ravage. i also intend to get FOC Soundwave and his lil dudes

5. Uncle Madness

Uncle Madness Well-Known Member

I don't really like how those Data disc look quality wise.

I actually have most of the G1 cassettes and since most of these data disc don't look much better I'll stick with those along with the WFC Soundwave I currently have.

I might give in and grab the FOC Blaster when that comes out in spite of the size difference.

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    3rd party stuff.

7. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I use a mix of Hasbro and 3rd Party. G1 Lazerbeak and Buzzsaw, Universe 2.0 Ravage, BTS Nightfang, and the PE Rumble and Frenzy. They actually make a great little group =]

8. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just use G1 Encore Cassettes (and Crazy Devy piledriver and head add-parts) -- I managed to track down all 3 Big Mission boxed sets MISB (pricey, but worth it). They're quite decent as stand-ins (from an engineering standpoint) until the MP versions arrive. I display them with Device Label Broadblast (and waiting for MP-13 Soundwave since I passed on the Device/Music Label and Sonicron versions). Classics Ravage I upgraded with MGS missiles and display with my G1 Revoltechs. Third party versions and Classics Frumble never interested me much. G1 cassettes or GTFO. XD

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I use Fakebuskers figures.

10. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if i collected g1 i'd use either the united twins or the device label for frenzy and rumble. 3rd party or G1 for everything else though.

11. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I... don't have anything.

Ideally, I'd like Soundwave and his minions to be thematically similar, and Soundwave to be a Voyager and the others to be Scouts (or some other Large + Much Smaller combo). Like a Soundwave repaint of RotF Mindwipe + Skystalker-repaint (Laserbeak would do, though I think Ratbat would be more appropriate) + the Scout tank Rumble/Frenzy; you got the size difference, they all share a theme (military), and Soundwave has something resembling the old gimmick (if just with Laserbeak/Ratbat).

Though this is mighty tempting.

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    ^ just get FOC Soundwave when he comes out. You'll be all set (probably)

13. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

I use...
    Classic Ravage
    Tit. Soundwave laserbeck(Cybertron version could work also)
    PE Rumble/Frenzy

It makes for a nice mix.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    old pic from a cuple years ago
    [​IMG]

universe ravage with reprolabels, custom squalktalk and beastbox that combine, overkill, real gears laserbeak. united frumble has been added since

15. orangeitis

orangeitis Sick Kiss Players Lover

Ebay:
    I'm gonna use the MP cassettes and maybe Classics Ravage(who I'm using right now) IF MP Ravage don't look that good in bot mode. We'll see.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Duximus: I'm using the same guys as you, except your Overkill which I am jealous of. (And I don't have Laserbeak yet but plan to.)

I will no doubt wind up with plenty of Generations data discs, too. But that can be a different incarnation or collection of them.

17. Iro the Dude

Iro the Dude Decepticon Seeker Leader

I use Cybertron Laserbeak and Hell Buzzsaw, Universe Ravage, Ratbat, and Overkill, and United Frenzy and Rumble. I guess Garboil, Sundor, Howlback, Glit, Wingthing, and Enemy are all potential customs based on those few molds. I do want to get the rest in some form or another, but I'm not quite sure as to what to do as far as Slugfest, Beastbox, and Squawktalk go.

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'm in this boat.

I have Henkei Ravage and the TFC Autoscout. Microcassettes or bust.

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I'm a 3P guy so Perfect Effect has my Minions covered. You can see them on the right of the pic.
    [​IMG]

I will say this to the OP though, I am green with envy over your Classics Rumble and Frenzy. I held up hope for a US release and it never happened :( 

20. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I Use Booster X-10 as my Classics Laserbeak though. The Real Gear robot from 2007.

[​IMG]

Also I love the look of Energon Ravage with Classics Megatron.

Here's a Really Old pic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012