Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaymac, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Soundwave is a very recognizable character in Transformers lore, but due to his original G1 alt-mode, changes and updates have to be made to make him suitable for purchase by today's generation of youth. Many children today still know what a casette player is, but they don't use them. That's why I think the idea of Soundwvae as an iPod dock with his minions as various colored iPods might work for a classic update. What do you think?

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Nah, I don't think the quirky alt-modes like a hand gun or common electronic devices is believable anymore. Back then nobody cared because it was just a cartoon, but now everyone takes the story and logic much more seriously. So Decepticons who transform into useless objects while fighting a war is kind of stupid.

3. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds good to me. One thing modern Transformers could use more of is gadget-bots. The Real Gear figures are still some of my favorte TFs to come out of the last few years. Everyone loved the toaster guy, too. :) 

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Soundwave as a vehilce works well for me. I personally think he should be a delivery truck with a few boxes that change into minons.

5. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    In the movies I kinda like to think of Soundwave as Blackout. In ROTF the three Decepticons smashing Prime were Blackout, Starscream and Megatron. In G1, Blackout would have been Soundwave, so that's where I make that connection.

The Autobot Whirl repaint of Voyager blackout has the perfect Soundwave blue... and awesome red visor light-piping too. It even has the yellow accents, and not to mention smaller bots coming out of his ass.

6. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lol  "Here's your package...of death!!"

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Storyline wise, sure. But as far as the toy goes, as long it's engineered well, who cares? Frankly, I prefer quirkier alt modes when it comes to the toys.

8. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

I think people just want him to carry minions. I think a pack of gum and gum stick minions would be cool.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'd be perfectly fine with a Soundwave that transforms into an old school cassette deck. I just want an update for Soundwave that's GOOD. WfC was pretty close but it still just doesn't cut it IMO.

10. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think the music label soundwave that holds the mem. card is a great rep for nostalgia, looks like a cassette player, so pay homage, but the inards are all new and spiffy. and the toy goes great with classics :) 

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I don't think 'household items' as alt modes is high on Hasbro's list of things to do in the future. I mean sure, we got Ejector and Scalpel in ROTF, but they were kinda based off on-screen characters.

I think they've already shown with Generations Perceptor not being a microscope that they wouldn't go down the route of having soundwave be something like any kind of handheld electronic device.

12. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    Thank you sir, this has just made my day.

but ya. sounds like a good idea

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well, there is the Device Label Soundwave and the Rumble/Frenzy headphones.

that doesn't count as an update?

i am still miffed we never got a decepticon slide projector, though. 200 minions to shoot out at people, with boring pictures of Uncle Dave's fishing trip to put ya into comas...diabolical.

anyway, i hated RotF Soundwave's final toy, but the idea of him being a satellite was quite impressive.

Except for the odd figure (Machine Wars Soundwave, IIRC, or RotF) Hasbro has been pretty good to the character and designs. could be worse. he could have been a filing cabinet or a VCR. *shudders* "Be Kind, rewind..."

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  14. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

That idea is absolutely genius. I love the idea of uniformly shaped minions for Soundwave.

15. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gen Perceptor with a remolded Chest and Head could work pretty well.

16. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We are talking about Bay's film right?

17. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would buy a Soundwave that transformed into a handheld game console, with his minions turning into video games.

In fact, I'd probably buy two.

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

First, I just want to point out- microcassette recorder.

Second, and I keep having to say this- they are far from "outdated" or "obsolete." Microcassettes and recorders are still on the market. Go look in your drug store over by the photo section.

Speaking for the "Classics" style of figures, I want the figure to be updated the exact same way every other figure in the line has thus far: same alt mode, but just a more modern version of it. So simply a more modern microcassette recorder, something like the Olympus S711.

19. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

They want to make a Soundwave that appeals to kids. Not the people that hang out in the photo section of the drug store.

20. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Soundwave turning into an Ipod is amost as dumb as Megatron turing in a gun. Make Soundwave transform into one of the sky drones the army uses. That way he can spy and attack.