Heavy/Scratch: Soundwave/Vector Prime Tardis WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by nonnef, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
  2. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

Seems to be the case. An "No thanks, no interest." email from them would at least be nice. Figured it would be good for his business to have all the people ordering this guy directed to him for the decals.

But that just means I'll have to eventually buy my own printer and cutter for them. So if you ever needed custom stickers after I do, I'll actually respond to you. ;) 

Until then though, I figured out a way to mold them in multiple colors so it'll be okay.

As far as kit prices, I was figuring it to be around 69 for the unpainted unassembled kits. 169 for the standard grade with paint and fully assembled. Then maybe 269 for the people with gold toilets that wanted a super detailed high quality paint job with a perfect show room finish and mint smell.

But again, that mostly falls to how long it takes for a single full cast of an entire figure. There's a new resin I'm trying that sets in 60 minutes and still has the strength for the smaller part. So here's hoping that pans out.

Seeing how awesome his parts look in clear plastic makes me want to cast a clear "ghost" vertion of him for myself. :) 

Your Road burn repaint is awesome, by the way. I have that mold apart on my desk right now in fact. Fixing a few things in his design I didn't like. Mostly his arms. And legs. And kind of his torso. ;) 

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    You know what, why not post the email address and ask us to throw an email to Reprolabels to ask for the set. I don't know how many people would do it or order it but if a bunch of people end up showing support that might push them into actually considering it.

69 sounds pleasant... Wait, that didn't sound right... Yeah I think for $69 I'd bite and do a little work myself.

OH! If you do some clear bits you could totally steal this idea:
    [​IMG]
    Transtopia Masterclass - Mid-Warp Skywarp - Transformers

Thanks for the compliment on Roadburn. Make sure to shoot me a link if you post pics of your fixes because that mold isn't as awesome as I want it to be...

4. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

I got a quote from a local guy who prints things and he said in bulk orders of 50 it would be 8 dollars each. That's for the decals to replace every paint app I was going to do, including clear windows and wording for LEDs.
    So maybe stickers isn't the way to go? I'm designing the new pieces to be more like master grade Gundam kits that pretty much are all already the right colors. so hopefully that limits the paint needed.

69 is the highest number over 50 that the mind still accociates with the lower 50 number and mentally rounds down. Its one of those weird psychological things we never think of, and why so many objects carry that price point. PSA. =)

Once I can paint that good I'll consider myself a master. But consider the idea stolen. ;) 

Will do! So many of the official toys are designed around the limits they have imposed on them. I'd love to see what some of the designers at Hasbro could do if they had no limits on volume or part count.
    But yeah, I've got both that mold and mp11 getting the "Nonnef fix" right now. Expect those threads when I get time. :) 

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    $8 for a sticker sheet is the same as Repro would charge I'd think. So I'd be in for that. But colored plastic is better.

Edit: Another head design idea. A K9 head for the Tardis, like he took control of it.

6. HQJ

HQJ Well-Known Member

I've been busy the last couple days.... but an unassembled kit sounds like an awesome idea. I'm not a world-class painter or anything, but I don't mind putting in some effort to save money, and it would make the larger scale a much more viable option, at least for me personally.

7. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

I was pondering about this myself. If someone didn't want him to be Soundwave then they would have no use for the minions. But if I made a k9 and doctor in scale that turned into a weapon and head... well things would work out. I'm on the fence about doing another entire over haul on him again. Adding clicky joints and more detail, but that's a lot of money wasted on the previous designs if I do.

I believe just about everyone has been busy the last few days. ;) 
    The kit idea might just be something I offer to you guys and not the general public. It was pointed out to me that chances are someone would order a bunch of the parts and start selling them as their own design. Along with making it easier for people to straight up steal the design.

8. HQJ

HQJ Well-Known Member

Ah, true, I hadn't considered that. While it'd be a neat experience to build one, I'd sure hate for people to be stealing your work. I've only barely, barely dabbled in 3d design, but I know the time and effort, not to mention cost, that you must have put into this project, definitely don't want people ripping off your brilliance.

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Wait, you mean I could make phat bank if I sell your kit to Find Me Guilty?... Hmmmm.

*gunshot*

Uh, nevermind. :p 

10. Jammer8red

Jammer8red Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just saw this thread and read thought it the past 30 minutes. A-mazing. Wonderful job. I especially like the K-9 into Lazerbeak. That is a great peice of engineering. I think Soundwave works as a call box. Prime does as well, but he's been a hat, a shoe, a monkey, an elephant, a truck, a protoform from space, etc. We need more versions of Soundwave!

I like the MP size. And If I am willing to pay $170 for Fanstoy Quakewave, I am more than willing to pay you what you easily deserve for all the hard work you have done on this project. I'm in for an order! Where do I send my money?!?!?!

PS was there any more I missed from your earlier comment, "I was kind of planning to have the sonic screwdriver be a certain other decepticon that already turned into a hand weapon in G1..."?

11. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

I think you'd make about as much as I would from that deal. Nothing. ;) 
    There's been certain precautions I've been taking to attempt to avoid it being stolen for as long as possible. Including specifically designing parts that are impossible to inject and can only be hand molded, keeping certain design aspects under wraps, and just generally not putting him out there. But it's only a matter of time before someone gets a hold of one of these and starts undercutting me. Hopefully it's later than sooner.

I'll just have to implement a reference program or something to do what I can to keep the kits in hands of only people who actually want to keep and enjoy the figure. It's something we can all figure out together when the time comes to worry about it. I'm trying to be as open and honest about the whole process as I can. And I really want to make sure everyone here gets one cheaper than the public because it's this community that I really learned from. If it wasn't for the brains here on TFW that I picked then I could have never gotten this far.
    And thank you HQJ for the compliment. =)

Thank you so much! Every time I'm starting to doubt myself someone comes and says some amazing things and picks me right back up into it. =)
    I agree with you about Prime already having been everything under the sun. Part of the reason I really wanted to make so many remold options available for people. So they can pick their favorite character. And with him being more modular in design they don't have to pick up an entire new figure. They can just swap the pieces they want and change him around every now and then.

MP size he is staying!
    Keep your money for now. Everyone else has been tossing their cash at the screen, and while the bucket I sat next to mine does have a quarter in it, the rest doesn't seem to be coming out yet!
    There won't be any preorder options. I'll only be accepting payment once he's ready to ship. So just subscribe to this thread and everyone here will be the first to find out. You can all be my guinea pigs. ;) 

I was going to make a trifecta batch of figures. The decepticons invading the Whoverse. Including the Soundwave Box, Shockwave Dalek, and Megatron Screwdriver. While I still may go back to those, there's a few other people focusing on the Who-former designs and I really wanted to move on to more unique figures again to keep from saturating the market. So the 'series' will be limited to the PoliceBox, K9 LaserBeak(and headmaster), and two mystery minions that I havn't talked about yet.
    Plus I don't want to have all my eggs in one basket in case I'm forced to pull the plug.

12. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    i dont like doctor who at all , but i love what u are doing here

13. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

I have to admit to being much more of a TF fan than a Who fan. =)

14. craftsmith

craftsmith Flying Spanner

Ebay:
    Can't wait to get one of these, hopefully tardis-wave will be in my collection soon.
    Extra minion surprises you say.......awesome, a tardis console ravage perhaps?

15. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That's amazing man. Now please make us the Motormaster we deserve!!

16. craftsmith

Ebay:
    The master.......oh how I see what you did there.

17. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    ??

... Oh I get it. ;) 

18. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

How about Dalek Rumble+Frenzy? Scales perfectly. Have been pondering a form for ravage as well. Really think the console is the best fit?

Not sure that's actually what he meant, but funny never the less! =)

19. craftsmith

Ebay:
    The console centre could open up like one of those monsuno tiger that folds into a cylinder type toys, I was just throwing it in there as a random guess. Ratbat weeping angels? Ramhorn judoon, a transforming jellie baby......into rumble....no wait...all the minions as multicoloured jellie baby's.

20. HQJ

HQJ Well-Known Member

A Ramhorn Judoon would be sweet. And Weeping Angels make anything cool. Daleks would be a really nice scale for Rumble and Frenzy. Definitely looking forward to what you come up with for Ravage too. He was always one of my favorites. The console would be a pretty cool idea, but it'd look a bit out of place if you were going with Dalek alts for Rumble/Frenzy, to have two fully functional alt modes with one that is more akin to the original cassette.