Heavy/Scratch: Soundwave/Vector Prime Tardis WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by nonnef, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Omegatron45

Omegatron45 Base-former

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the idea of a build-your-own option, especially if it would knock down the price. I love building things, but I just have no ability to paint, so potentially having an option of pre-painted parts or just stickers would be great.

For the record, I still think a finished product for $175-ish at the larger scale is reasonable, and appeals to my lazy side.

2. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    this is awesome and even more awesome you are planning on selling it :D  the idea of a build your own kit is a great idea i would 100% be up for that

3. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

... Maybe I could...hmm... I was already going to do headmasters for the Rv heisenburg... maybe an upgrade for the heads on this guy...

Oh man, wish MY lazy side had an option. ;) 
    I'll email repro tonight and see if they're interested at all in offering something. Would make things tremendously easier.

Thanks! I really like the idea also. Make offering upgrades later even more feasible.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Personally I'd prefer this as an original character. I'd intentionally choose the Vector Prime head and perhaps repaint it. Then I'd give the whole bot a new name and probably a bio (at least in my head).

But hey, I'm a sucker for new characters.

5. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

I still have to redo all the heads after my HDD went belly up a few weeks ago. If you had any special features you'd like to see in a custom head, I'm all down for designing it. The heads are the most fun part, and having a new character from it would be awesome.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Oh man don't tempt me... I have an over active imagination...

7. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

Consider yourself tempted. ;) 

I've got lots to do still before I revisit the heads, so lots of time for you to mull it over. If anyone else had any specific characters or ideas, feel free to bring them up.

8. C888

C888 Well-Known Member

Call him Pardis. Prime and relative dimension in space. Eh? Eh?

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:

I already went looking at ideas as soon as I said no...

So if I were to design a head for him, I think I'd have to do a Time Lord style head. So I went looking for inspiration along those lines.

These pics kind of inspired me the most.
    [​IMG]
    Symbiotic Nuclei
    [​IMG]
    David Tennant In Full Time Lord Regalia | Doctor Who Screencaps - It's Timey-Wimey!

The head I would design would need to evoke the huge wings behind most Time Lords heads. I would put them onto the head itself if I had to. The top of the head would be more rounded but adorned with fluff, probably pulled out and put on a slightly raised mow-hawk (like Ironhide with Time Lord fluff on it). Then to pull it back to Transformers I would give it a mouth plate and see how it looks with Optimus like antennae or perhaps Rodimus/Prowl like "eyebrow" crests.

This would then lead me to thinking about color for this bot. Obviously the Tardis would HAVE to be blue. But I think I would have the head have a lot of red and blue. Then I would see if I could introduce a lot of red to the robot body where I could. Probably they'd be on the arms, thighs, and feet. The majority of Time Lords I see are all red so I'd want to dramatically reveal a lot of red after transformation.

So that's where my brain went.

10. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

Has a nice ring to it! Mind if I use it?

Does kind of sound like something from a realtor ad though. "This house has a Prime And Relative Dimention In Space next to this nuclear power plant!" ;) 

11. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

I already designed a hinge on either side of the head for attachments (sound waves cannon is mounted in one in the pictures) which would be perfect for the wings behind their heads. I was going to use them for an Inferno "firebox". So this is an absolute go. =)

I'll try a bunch things along those lines and see what you think. Soon as I finish getting this mill to work. Thanks again for the ideas!

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    :D 

13. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Mulling over what I envishioned I think I made something exactly like Optimus. So to get away from Optimus, I'd take what I described earlier, nix the antenna and add square vents on the other side of his mouth plate. Combined with the decorated mow hawk and Rodimus eyebrow crests I think that would yield a cool looking unique head.

14. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

Both unique and powerful looking. Maybe I can design the faceplate to look more like their costumes to make sure it has it's own style.

15. C888

C888 Well-Known Member

If you think it could work, go for it. I also like Time and Relative Decepticon in Space though I believe the acronym for that one is kinda trademarked.

16. stevil33

stevil33 Army of Wastemen

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Woah there, I hadn't checked in to this thread for a while............Them Proto pics have literally blown me away.
    This is such an amazing(and that word is too tame) custom/concept.
    $175 may seem like a lot of money but if you factor in your previous costs, materials and then factor the added labour time you deserve that.
    I also like the sound of a kit too.

17. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

Maybe I'll play around with it some more. Never know when something interesting will come to mind.

Welcome back! And thank you!
    Costs can only come down as I figure out new ways to save on things. So stay tuned!

18. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

OK, I've been watching this thread and keeping my mouth shut to see where it went without my 2 cents, but I'm thinking it's time I said something, just in case my opinion could be of some use.
    First, I MUST have one of these, "No Matter the Cost". Really though, There's no way I would pass this up (See conditions below.)

1. It needs to be Masterpiece scale. I'd be interested in a smaller version too, but for me, it's just as hard to come up with $75 as $150, so if I have a choice, I'll take bigger and more detailed, every time. TFs never seem to be in scale with any human figures, so this being in scale with the 3.75 Dr.Who figs is a dream come true, for all the fans who want to display it with a doctor, which I'm guessing would be quite a few people. Look at it this way, Takara MP-10 was $200 and came with one human figure. People (including myself) wanted more. Dr.Wu made two figs to go with MP-10 and charged $30 for them and they've sold great. I wasn't the least bit upset about giving $30 to have in-scale humans. What I'm getting at is that I'd pay more for a large Tardis, knowing it will be in scale with the Dr. Who figures that I have (hypothetically). Not ruling out buying a smaller version too, but for a nice Tardis display, it really needs to be in scale with Dr.Who figures.

2. $150 is the sweet spot for me price wise, but I understand the work and time that went into this, so I'm not gonna whine and throw a temper tantrum if it costs a little more. It's worth it, people need to understand that time and talent cost money.. Anyone who puts this much effort into something for other fans, deserves to be compensated fairly.

3. Soundwave's head seems to be the only logical choice, with K9 being Laserbeak, but I'd be open to other head options, maybe.. If the price was right, I might even buy a few different ones just for the novelty of being able to swap them out. I have a few head ideas of my own, such as a mechanical Tom Baker head (with scarf) or a mechanical "TIME" Pirate, since Laserbeak could be his parrot.

4. I'd buy this in kit form or finished, I would prefer pre-painted, but would be happy with Reprolables too. I wouldn't want to paint anything myself though.

I think that covers what I felt I needed to say. I'm 100% in on buying this in Masterpiece scale, even if it means I have to fall behind a month on my electric bill again. Please keep us updated on the progress of this build.

19. Omegatron45

Omegatron45 Base-former

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes, exactly what he said! :) 

20. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

I'm really glad you did chime in, thank you!

1. There was serious consideration on my part of downscaling the entire thing and focusing on the smaller one. But after hearing from you and others I'll keep him at MP class and in scale with the 3.75 figures. A smaller one is still in the pipeline, but the focus right now is solely on the big guy.

2. Don't fret too much about the price point. In fact, let's already drop it to 169. And I'm pretty sure I'll be able to go even lower. I'm starting high then working my way down as I explore new options and design ideas. There will also be creative ways of getting him cheaper, like discounts for helping to promote him and such. But we can all figure that out later. =)

3. I keep wanting to try and steer away from making him too much focused on being like Soundwave. But with two more of his minions in Who form now planned it looks like he'll be the center piece of this design for now. (/tease)
    Your head ideas have been added in and will certainly see the light of day!

4. It's only been a few days, but I still havn't heard anything back from Repro. So not sure if they're not interested or just busy but it looks like I might need to find my own way of making stickers.

Please please please don't fall behind on anything in order to get this guy! If the lights are out you won't be able to see how cool he is. ;) 

Same to you, Omegatron! ;)