Soundwave Superior

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Ironhide1706, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

In several threads recently many people have been voicing their desire for a Soundwave episode. It certainly is good to know I am not alone in wishing this so I have created this thread for fellow Soundwave fans (or TFP fans wishing Soundwave could get some characterization) to come up with episode ideas to give everybody's favorite communications expert some love.

Please feel free to provide your ideas on an episode(s) for Soundwave and join the speculation.

Note: I am aware this is similar to the episode premise thread but this topic is purely for Soundwave. If the two threads are too similar please merge or delete this topic. Cheers.

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Soundwave is in this series?

In all seriousness, Soundwave isn't a character to me. He's a cardboard cut out. He has no depth, no emotion. He's just there. The primary reason for this is his lack of a voice. Give him a voice and he becomes more than just a prop.

But on topic, yeah, I'd get behind an episode centered around this prop.

3. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

His actions speak louder than any vocal processor ever could.

4. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Are you ever gonna stop crying over him not talking? His actions display spades of character. Loyalty, self-restraint, intelligence, etc. Same with Bumblebee.

You seriously gotta get over this "no voice = no character" thing you got going on.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Despite some interesting actions on his part throughout the series, Soundwave remains a virtual cipher. I'd love to see him explored in more depth.

Here's an episode premise that I think could branch Soundwave off in an intriguing direction while still staying true to his loyal and shrewd nature. Starscream usurps command of the Decepticons. Soundwave, correctly predicting that Starscream's self-serving actions would doom the Decepticon cause, decides to covertly ally himself with the Autobots, if only to remove Starscream. He is successful in this bid and eventually cuts ties with the Autobots, but the alliance leaves the Autobots wishing they knew him as a friend instead of an enemy.

6. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

It figures Ryoku would be the first on the scene for this thread.

On topic: Yes. We need more superior Soundwave screen time. It would be fun to see how they might pull off a completely SW centric episode, what with the no talking thing. It'd like a short indy film. :p 

After what has happened with old Screamer recently in the show, I don't think that's really in the cards anymore.

7. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Obviously Soundwave's focus episode will be when he and Arcee have their final showdown over who has the most feminine legs.
    The winner then gets to face Starscream for the crown.

8. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    The writers are doing a good job characterizing Soundwave though his actions, not dialogue.

9. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    this

10. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    Yeah, I say give him a damn voice. Voiceless transformers are getting old and cliche by now. Is it too much to ask to hear them talk? I hated that Bumblebee didn't have a voice in the movie and it continues in Prime and now Soundwave seems to not have a voice as well? No offense to anyone who likes the lack of a voice but i think it's just lazy and a way for the writers to get a "get out of jail free" card for not having characterization.

11. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    Really? He has no characterization at all from my perspective. Give him a voice, let him speak and then we'll see what he's all about and get in touch with his character.

Honestly, what characterization are you speaking of? The fact that he is just always in the shadows? That he is just a mindless tattle tale? Let's face it, he is just there. Nothing more.

12. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This guy needs a lot of character development which includes, voice, personality, and air time; no just I'm here and do and talk nothing.

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see why people like Soundwave much. He is competent, sure, but he doesn't really do much character stuff.

I'll admit his design is super sweet, my favorite Soundwave design ever and can't wait for his toy though.

14. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I'm talking about this video.

Before you say "but that was only once", there's also this video

Honestly, if this isn't characterization, I don't know what it is: That video single-handedly shows Soundwave as a magnificent bastard, loyalist and manipulator [also pretty smart].

What people fail to understand is that Prime-Soundwave is meant to be "The Ghost of the Chrismas Yet to Come": Silent, creepy, all-knowing and dangerous.

15. ngnikolaos

I like Soundwave because he's a cold, calculating machine who doesn't let his Decepticon blood interfere with his methods and thinking. He seems to be less bloodthirsty than the rest of the Decepticons (he spared the kids while he could might as well kill them, because they couldn't interfere with his mission anymore).

I also love his loyalty to Megatron, and I respect the tremendous role he often plays in safeguarding Megatron's seat. Starscream's ursurping attempts have failed time and again, and Soundwave had no small part in that.

Plus, in THIS particular incarnation, I LOVE his silence, because his actions have a lot more gravity (taking a photo of the kids, sending the drone after Starscream, giving Megatron time to recover, etc.)

I always loved Soundwave as a character, and I love him just as much in his latest incarnation, unlike the horrible letdown he was in the Bayformers (but let's not get into that).

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now that you mention it, he DID force Starscream to spare Wheeljack's life too. Hm.

17. ngnikolaos

Hm indeed ... :D 

18. Glass_of_water

Glass_of_water Well-Known Member

the people that cry about him not talking are so lame... listen to his playbacks, if he was gonna have a voice it'd probably sound like the background voice so just listen harder, if it didn't sound like that you'd probably all cry that he sounds terrible and wish he had never started speaking. the playback gimmick rocks, i just wish they had him doing it more often. i imagine the first time soundwave says anything that isn't a playback it'll be "megatron!" probably to warn him of an incoming ass kicking :p 

19. Altimus

Altimus Well-Known Member

20. megapork

megapork Cheese

Most people seem to only complain about the lack of voice. That is a pretty shallow reason for people to bash a great character on.