soundwave question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ANDROID PRIME, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    did the original soundwave toy have a rub sticker on his chest or a regualr sticker? ive seen a few pics that differ. how do you know if a toy is a re-make or an original, is there anysites that help you with this?

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'm not 100% on this, but if I recall correctly, Soundwave was re-released a couple of times in G1... the later versions got the rub sticker. I bought my Soundwave late, probably around the time of the movie... he was 100% legit, but came with the rub sign, unlike the first release. Otherwise I think the figures are identical.

I'm sure there are others here who can supply more specific info...

zmog

3. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I've got a pic of an '84 SW with a regular Decepticon faction symbol on his chest, and a pic of an '85 SW with a rubsign on his chest. The pictures are from J.E. Alvarez's "Unofficial Guide to Transformers: 1980s Through 1990s". So, your TF could have either sticker and still be a legit original G1 product. Of course, I'm not familiar with what reissues have been produced over the years, aside from the current Classics SW, which has an obviously larger tape door.

EDIT: Check out Fred's variation pages for some more info on Soundwave variants and KOs http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vdecep.html#sound

4. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    A lot of figures were available in a "pre-rub symbol" version. I don't think the rub symbol came into effect until the second series of figures were being released. The first series were in production for awhile still so they got the rub, so to speak, along with their newer brothers.... 'least that's my understanding. I know my Soundwave had a rub symbol as a kid, but my friend's (he got his much earlier than i did) did not.

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Boo is correct. In 1985 Hasbro added rub symbols to all the TFs it released that year, including the figures from the 1984 line. So Soundwave will have either a rub symbol or a decepticon sticker on his chest.

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    i'm sorry, but since I began frequenting the Toyark over the past few months, I find it difficult to trust ANY man named Fred.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Not trusting THIS fred is about the stupidest thing a TF fan can do, opposed to the one you're thinking of, where it's the opposite.

8. GogDog

News Credits:
    It was a joke, sorry.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I thought I had got mine in late '84 with the rubsign...but it very well could have been early '85...I was a little kid at the time afterall haha

10. GogDog

News Credits:
    On the new TRU release, They put the rubsign on the side of his arm, and a regular Decepticon sticker on his chest. Was that the way Soundblaster had it, or did they do that to make him more G1 accurate?

11. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Not sure how Soundblaster was stickered. But, I know that the G1 U.S. version could be had with either a rub or a faction sticker on the chest, and, as far as I know, neither rub nor faction symbol on the arms.

BTW, I got the Fred joke!

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

84 1st run Soundwave has just a faction symbol. after that he had ther rub-sign in place of it. I have both versions of the toy.

PS MY NAME IS FRED....seriously...it is....no joke.

13. GogDog

News Credits:
    Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread with Fred jokes.

14. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hi-jack away, I think I got my answer

15. skyline_g35

skyline_g35 Well-Known Member

Can't you also remove the battery lid and check the date inside the back of Soundwave. I have an original in the box and checked it vs. the reissue and the stamps have different dates and locations as to where they were made. The original is stamped Takara Japan whereas the reissue is stamped Takara China. They also have dates stamped in as well but I don't have both Soundwaves in front of me.