Soundwave MP3 Player Help

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KiTA, Jan 4, 2008.

1. KiTA

KiTA New Member

Hello everyone, I hope I'm in the right section.

I purchased a Soundwave MP3 Player from a company on eBay for a Christmas gift for my roommate. Said MP3 player arrived about 2 weeks from Singapore before Christmas and he's loving it.

Except that it's not working.

We have a standard AAA battery inside it, as well as a Mini-SD (actually a MicroSD in a Mini-SD adapter) card inside it. There's a little LED next to the Mini-SD slot. Said LED never turns on, no matter what.

The instructions are in Japanese, and my knowledge of said language isn't enough to properly read the directions, but from what we understand, you just hold down the Play button for 2 seconds to power it on.

So I guess my questions to you are...

1. Anyone else have one of these, and got it working?
    2. Anyone know if someone translated the instructions anywhere?
    3. How's Takara for RMAs? I doubt I'll be able to RMA this with the eBayer, especially 1 month out and with the company being across the planet.

I'd really love to get this working for him. I'm hoping it's just something as simple as "don't forget to flip the hidden power switch under his right foot," but I doubt it. I guess I could just buy a second one and hope, but I'd feel like a complete fool if we bought a second one and it turned out to be doing the same thing.

2. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    First question I have, based on what you say here, is what size of Micro-SD are you using? If memory serves, you can't have anything bigger than 1GB in there.

3. KiTA

KiTA New Member

Standard 1GB... was going to go for the 4GB, but the price was way beyond the bell curve. Maybe I should try to find another one? I remember reading somewhere (but I'll be darned if I can find it now) that this MP3 player is really picky about the MiniSD cards that it will work with.

My concern is the LED... I wish I knew what the heck it's supposed to do. Is it an error light? Is it a "we detected a MiniSD card" light? Is it a "Yes, we have power" light? I just donno.

4. felyxz

felyxz Active Member

Ebay:
    The LED blinking light just means that Soundwave is on.

5. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    It's possible that he may not work with the adapter. Have you tried a regular 1 GB mini-SD card?

I use a SanDisk mini-SD for mine and he works fine, though sometimes I have to hold the button down for more than 2 seconds to get him to turn on and off. Basically, I hold the button down until the light comes on.

Also, are you using rechargable batteries? That could have something to do with it too.

6. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    did you format the mini sd card? because I had trouble making mine work but when I formatted the sd card it worked..

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's not particularly helpful, but I had one that used to work, and after one long session of playing music, refused to turn on anymore afterward (no lights or music, regardless of what I did with the battery, similar to how you describe yours). It might be possible to fix the problem, but mine graduated from "MP3 Player" to "Action Figure" at that point. :) 

8. KiTA

KiTA New Member

Well, we got it on for a few seconds.

Basically my roommate left it in his bag, in the car, for about 3 days. It's been below freezing out pretty much 24x7, so that thing was c-c-c-coooooold.

He hit the play button, it turned on. He went to put the MiniSD card in, figured he should turn it off before inserting the card, turned it off, put the card in, turned it on, the light came back on for about half a second, then nothing.

I was going to suggest he put the thing in the fridge or freezer for a bit, see if that gets it going again... He also wants to open it up and see if there's any obviously broken wires or whatnot, but I asked him to wait on that for a bit.

9. KiTA

KiTA New Member

I should probably update this...

My roommate cracked his Soundwave open and discovered the ribbon cable connecting the buttons to the main unit is essentially ruined. It looks like it was folded on accident before the soldering process connected it, or something. He hasn't had much look repairing it, either.

Anyone know where to find a "universal" ribbon cable we could cut to size?