Soundwave: Most interesting character on the show?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Kaymac, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Soundwave is a very enigmatic character, and this is a virtue of his nonspeaking nature, his lanky, creepy form, and his abandonment of the familiarity of the character.

Soundwave is hiding something. Everything he does, you want to pay attention to it. When he is onscreen, you want to watch him, as his actions speak in place of words. He is hiding something, possibly about Megatron, possibly about Earth. He is a follower of Megatron, but he may have a secret agenda. What is he planning? Why is he not speaking?

This is what makes an interesting character. Prime is so good in it's writing, you want to pay attention to the guy who never speaks, has a very minimal role, and is usually in the background. Soundwave seems to be a character they are saving for Season 2. When he speaks, there will be an impact to it, moreso than if any other character says it. We are all waiting for the time when Soundwave speaks, because he can speak, he just has nothing to say now.

What are your opinions of Soundwave?

2. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    The funny thing is, in the beginning, everybody hated Soundwave.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He is one of the more interesting characters. Every time he's on screen I want to know what he's going to do.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Interesting isn't the right word. I'd say he's the most "intriguing"...

5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I truly think he's one of Transformers Prime's most intreiging characters and certainly one of the most amazing versions of him that came out after the original G1 version! I was off at first by his appearence but he evetually warmed up to me and I began to see what really makes him unique among his other versions. Like you said he's silent but with a reason.

He could be Megatron's key to blackmail any poteintal traitor from making their moves and putting them in line kind of like how his Marvel incarnation blackmailed anybody for getting his goals. I'm also thinking that since both he and Megatron both shared the same past and ideas,he could be the only fellow comrade in arms that Megatron truly trust and cares for in the inner circle and beyond.

And maybe what if they were other reasons to why he removed his emotion chip and modified his body for maybe not just making more room for information? Maybe there was a time that Soundwave's emotions got the better of him and almost got him and Megatron killed. Perhaps he thought that emotions were clouding his thoughts? Also perhaps he modifed his body to represent he'll be from now on Megatron's personal watcher who's always silent and free from violent emotions. Maybe the reason why he's dedicated to the Decepticon cause is because he's trying to find something to believe in life and perhaps the reason he follows Megatron greatly is because he believed that Megatron shares his ideas and understands what Megatron is going through and Megatron with the same thoughts on Soundwave which led to probably the only known friendship that Megatron actually had since he first met Orion/Optimus.

It will really be intresting if Soundwave also does shows strange signs of compassion towards both Autobots and Decepticons who have trouble with their emotions. Maybe somehow he knows what someone like Arcee is going through and maybe somehow feel sympethy towards her because he might have gone through something like that. I know that sounds like a fan fiction idea but if you remember the two known Decepticons,Starscream and Airachnid that Soundwave puts in line harshly and strictly are also the killers of Arcee's partners,so that could be a connection. Of course he is doing his job in trying to prevent rebellion against Lord Megatron and the Empire,but still that could be also an intresting dimension and a show shocker too if that was true!

Anyway that's my thoughts on TFP Soundwave. Bottom note,I REALLY like this guy and I'm SO looking foward to seeing him more in Season 2 and getting his figure when it comes out next year!:) 

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've apparently a negative reputation on this topic so I will merely voice my opinion and let others have theirs.

To me, Soundwave is a boring flat prop who is completely forgettable and as deep as a puddle.

Your opinion may vary.

7. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

I agree.

Other than his epic beat down of Airachnid and his loyality to Megatron, he hasn't had much obvious characterization. So I can't wait how they're going to handle him in season two, I for one hope that they'll delve into his past back on Cybertron during the rise of Megatron and the Decepticons as well as bring to light any of his alterior motives (because we all know Soundwave has to be up to something).

That said, Soundwave is just only going to get even more awesome.

8. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

This.

9. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    I'll have an opinion when he speaks. (Which he will.)

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What makes Soundwave even more interesting (to me) is Starscream's loathing -and- fear of him. I love how he hates Soundwave for being SO efficient, and at the same time is constantly watching his back just in case Soundwave is keeping tabs on him. I think that dynamic of the two characters is absolutely excellent to watch.

11. Anti Theon

Anti Theon Well-Known Member

... right up until he trashed Airachnid you had a case for that.

Now I'd have to grant that the writers are making the whole "Ghost of Christmas Future" thing work pretty well -- faceless, points instead of speaking, and scary as to young children.

12. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He sure is very mysterious but when it comes to who is in control of Decepticons when Megatron is not around, i think Soundwave should consider that seat.

13. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always liked Soundwave and he is a very interesting character.

"Silent but deadly" and being in second in command he knows all the secrets of everyone and could be a "blackmailer" (as mentioned) when given the opportunity.

14. Drunk-Wheeljack

Drunk-Wheeljack MrTomo

Soundwave is usually my fav character in all TF series, but with this one, my opinions are varying.

I'm holding my opinions on him until he finally speaks, and i do hope that when he eventually speaks, that it's something meaningful

15. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Interesting yes, but *most* interesting? I wouldn't go that far. This would imply that any character who spends most of his time in the shadows and doesn't speak is the most interesting guy in the room, and that all other characters with much more overall development are- by the very nature of this increased disclosure- less interesting.

The most interesting to me is Ratchet. Not only is he voiced by one of the most clever and 'funny' actors ever to inhabit a cartoon based character, but his character arc in Season 1 was great! We saw him go from a potential one note throwaway 'medic' (not typically a very interesting character in a cartoon) to full on steriodal rage, all within a handful of episodes. That to me people is an arc the way it should be done.

That being said, I'm sure SW will get his moment to shine, but for now enigmatic does not equal "most interesting" in my book.

16. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Now this is a great comment, as it illustrates how important it is for enigmatic characters to gain depth through how they bounce off of other characters- in this case Starscream. I wouldn't say SW is as "deep as a puddle" as someone else mentioned, since he's been given more to do and has much more going on than that, but he's not far off at this point unfortunately. He needs his own arc to really stretch his wings (figuratively speaking), but by his very nature he's always kept out of the limelight, so perhaps he works better just the way he is. I will say though that his character design is one of the best in the series, as it perfectly matches not only his specialty for the Decepticons (a survellaince predator drone), but in robot mode he's so damn alien looking, which is great!

17. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    I totally agree

18. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soundwave is awesome, but I'm more interested in Bulkhead myself. Connections with the wreckers and Breakdown? Flashback already please!

19. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    i love soundwave!
    i was really hoping he would say something to Airachnid in their little stand off in on of the last episodes of the season. he was just standing there and i was waiting for him to say something.

hopefully he will soon!

20. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    If all goes according to plan, Soundwave will die and then be resurrected atop Death's Peak.