Minor/Repaint: SOUNDWAVE from Cap (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Mar 5, 2009.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Before I forget, credit goes to Kalron for suggesting an improvised boombox mode! :) 

Yeah, I meant for the wheels to resemble speakers. Maybe if I go with this boombox secondary alt mode, I might add some stuff to make the wheels double more effectively as speakers.

Wow... LRADs are scary.

And yeah, G1 cassettes or Universe Ravage fit in the space behind the roof panels. In robot mode, the space for them is almost perfectly sized. In boombox mode, the fit is a bit looser, but it'll still hold them. I haven't tested yet whether there's adequate space in Humvee mode to store a cassette.

As for the RealGear Boosterbeak MP3player mode, I think it might be a bit too big.

zmog

2. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

those boombox modes look awesome, I'd agree with what everyone else is saying and have speaker wheels to complete the look maybe just put the inner workings of some headphones there.

3. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

triple changer soundwave! SMOG!
    crossovers (unless its a joe one) ain't my thing but this one's freakin' awesome.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Then take a good look at Animated Soundwave if you want to go that route, as his shoulder speakers are the Scion's rear wheels rotatred 90 degrees inward on an internal peg, and they do the job rather well.

5. revrun

revrun Energonbots roll out!

Great now I have to do iron man to jetfire cap to brawn wolvie to gears human torch to the seekers and now this wow

6. SMOG

Well, the wheels already face forward like speakers... but I would just need to make them look a little more like speakers... or less like tires?

The problem with this boombox mode is that it looks terrible from behind. It's a total sham. It's practically a hollow facade unless you're looking at it head-on. :) 

Wouldn't Iron Man make for better seekers, and Torch for Jetfire? It seems like the alt modes and general forms of the robots suit much better that way.

In any case, go dude! Let's bash up some of these Crossovers! :) 

zmog

7. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Man, you are just filled with creativity...

8. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Holy crap! Now I want a crossovers Cap! I agree, I like this much better than cybertron Soundwave. Great Idea!

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Wow, the boombox/tape-deck mode actually works pretty well. Knowing my luck, I'll never be able to find a Crossovers CA now, lol. I've also got some other things I want to get, so I may just end up hoping Hasbro does make a Soundwave update of their own after the hiatus :D 

10. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    Hi all. I read this site constantly, just don't post much, and this caught my eye fast. I bought 1 on the way home from work and tried to figure out a way to lock the chest down with smog's transformation, and its gonna be tough. After a couple hours of frustration i decided to see what i could find out, and found a slightly more solid mod for this. If you do the transformation as shown in the instrustions, but turn the top half around backwards you can almost get it to look good, but the chest or "cassette" door just sticks out too far. You also still have to swap the fists, but no big deal there. If you look under where the flap goes (its the back in standard mode) it is only blocked from laying flush against the body by a small amount of plastic that has no purpose that i can see. If you just cut it off it allows it to lay down much better.

[​IMG]

The other bonus with this is the flap that hides the original head has a small hole in the middle that would be perfect to hold a small ball joint for a new soundwave head. I haven't tested that yet but i think it can work.

[​IMG]

I also noticed while i was taking pics more mods (just now) that can allow the flap to sit even closer. Under the flap is 2 small circular holes that hold the side doors on in alt mode. They can be shaved down just a tiny bit without hurting the alt mode at all.

[​IMG]

You also have a tiny amount of room to shave against the actual flap where those rub, but not much. Every little bit helps. The bot mode doesn't show the flap sanding, and it can be tweaked even further.

[​IMG]

This can sit a lot closer with the little bit of sanding on those peg holders. what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**edit
    I sanded down those door clips and it made a huge difference.

[​IMG]

also switched the hands

[​IMG]

I don't have a small enough file to do the inside of the roof where they rub yet but i can imagine the difference. Now if i could just figure out how to make a satellite dish antenna that turns into a bird to replace the stupid captain america shield ...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  11. SMOG

Great stuff! Placing the chest at the angle you suggested was actually something I considered for a Roadbuster custom, because it changes the proportions of the robot mode slightly. Removing those bits of plastic allows the chest to lay more flat like Soundwave though... nice.

I guess one down side to this is that the cassettes will no longer fit in the chest... though that was more of a cute gimmick than anything else, and it left his chest rather hollow. I also like where the head plate sits on your version.

zmog

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    is the torso piece pretty hollow, in that if you wanted to, you could carve it out to allow this alt-transformation to hold 2 cassettes deep in it's chest?

13. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    actually its kind of funny, if you lift up the chest flap it almost looks like a cassette molded into the body underneath. But no, this eliminates any chance of shoving in a cassette. Honestly though, why would it have to be a cassette? since soundwave is getting updated why not give lazerbeak or ravage an updated look too that suit the new form for soundwave?

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    because I want to use Universe Ravage (which IS a cassette!) :p 

15. SMOG

Nope... the chest of the robot is actually much narrower than the roof panels (that become the chest in this mod)... too narrow for G1-sized cassettes. Plus his head and shoulder joints have to fit inside the chest, so there's not that much room in there.

However the roof panels are almost exactly the same size as a G1 cassette... just slightly over. My mod leaves space to tuck 1-2 cassettes behind the chest/roof panels, but I'll admit it does leave him with a big empty chest when there's nothing in there... you can see right through his chest from the side... it's a big gap.

I noticed that! How weird! It's as if they somehow knew when they were designing him. :) 

I agree with you in principal... but there's something very hard to resist about the way that the chest panels are just the right size, especially with Universe Ravage being in that same scale. :) 

zmog

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Not to derail, but anyone else think this mold would make a good Rollbar from the Throttlebots?

17. SMOG

I can't see why not... it's good for so many characters. :) 

Configured in like my Soundwave or Ichnach's mod, he has the roof-chest and sort of a backpack. Then you can paint him in Brawn colours, and he'll look like Rollbar. ;) 

Anybody else ever notice that the Throttlebots are almost the G1 minibots reborn?
    Wide Load = orange/blue construction truck = Huffer
    Rollbar = olive/yellow landrover = Brawn
    Goldbug = Bumblebee
    Chase = red sports car = Cliffjumper/Windcharger

Though the comparison falls apart with Freeway (Tracks?) and Searchlight (Jazz?)...

It would be a pretty BIG Rollbar, unless you were shooting for something in the Alternator-ish scale.

zmog

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I might go for a Blaster. Or maybe a Gobot (lol).

19. the man

the man I iz a Roadbuster fan

So this is entyerly a crossovers capt americs, or did you use some extra parts... i wanna make one too!!

Anyways that is::bay :bay :bay :bay :bay :bay 

20. SMOG

Well, the missile launcher and gun I just stuck on. The head is from Cybertron Soundwave. Other than that, it's all Crossovers Cap. To finalize it, you will need to do some light modding though...

zmog