Soundwave: crazy idea

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Aug 4, 2012.

?

Classics Soundwave as a tape deck, does it make sense?

1. Yes!

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Don't care

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There hasn't been a really good general release deluxe (regular) Soundwave since G1. I could live with some that were out but they never really screamed Soundwave to me and I've seen others echo the same. So it made me wonder recently...why not just make him a walkman like before? Outdated? Sure but he's getting an MP and there are TFs based on outdated vehicles. Who cares if he's outdated?

So should Hasbro have done, what to me seems like, the obvious and made/make a classics Soundwave Walkman? Of course update the articulation and make the alt mode less simple looking but bring back the tape deck.

Am I right or is I coocoo?

2. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No good Deluxe sized Soundwave? Are you serious? There's the Music Label one which is just awesome, the WfC Soundwave is also really good. Then there's the Animated version which a lot of people like, as well as the more recent Prime Soudnwave. Hell, even the DoTM Soundwave that wasn't released in the US is pretty good.

I'm not understanding what you mean by there not being a good deluxe sized Soundwave.

3. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Music label is considered "specialty". I'm talking general release. Also a lot of people seem to hate the WFC soundwave. Don't ask me why. He didn't really have a lot of bang for my buck personally but wasn't a big fail to me either. I liked the compartment coming back.

A soundwave that actually captures the character and doesn't look like a steel poop infused with thorns :) 

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Because modern kids wouldn't be going for something that turns into something they had never seen before. Plus the fact it would just be a plastic brick, at least with cars, truck, tanks, you can roll and jets you can pretend they are flying.

But with a walkman, you have a $15 transforming paper weight. G1 era fans might love it, but Hasbro is not going to do that pointless alt mode in a line that kids collect in.

They are giving that alt mode to the older fans by the MP line.

5. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Woo look at me I'm a satellite" just doesn't seem to be different or even better then "Woo look at me I'm a cassette player". They had released cell phone, video game and watch tfs in the more recent past.

6. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ML Soundwave is a specialty item because kids these days wouldn't go for the concept of a robot that turns into a blue paperweight. As Jetbolt said, kids can pretend that trucks/cars/planes/tanks are rolling/flying. But really, what is a kid going to do with a figure that transforms into a music player? I think even if he turned into an iPod he would only be popular amongst fans (who already have ML Soundwave that does the exact same thing).

I think my point is that ML Soundwave is a specialty item due to the fact that he's aimed at a special crowd, older fans. The same can be said about the MP figures. I consider them specialty items as well.

Also, from what I remember, the fandom liked WfC Soundwave and many recommended him as a stand-in for ML Soundwave in Classics collections.

Those didn't even sell that well. Notice that we didn't see any bots like that past the first movie line. Toaster bot and Scalpel aside, they pretty much got rid of figures that transform into non-moving items. Also, RoTF Soundwave was a triple changer who could also turn into a space jet.

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I think it only makes sense in the Masterpiece line. If he got a generations/classics release they would have to update his altmode.

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they had to make him a vehicle, I'd want him to be one of those mobile satellite vans. Laserbeak could turn into the satellite dish.

9. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Because kids know that they are. Being honest, even those are pointless alt modes to me. Then somebody has to carry the Transformer into places, a satellite can pick up talk from orbit, record Autobot actions and locations, and spy on certain back stabbing Decepticons.

Heck, TFP Soundwave works just as good being a spy drone. For the character, those are logical alt modes.

10. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    No, I the idea of Soundwave being a repaint of ROTF Mindwipe.

11. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just wondering if this could be a case of the most obvious is the most overlooked.

If I had to modernize him he'd either be a low rider or a DJ style van (but not in the style of the botcon).

12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    None of those examples were durable/quality in regards to either the robot mode or the functionality of the altmode.

The ONLY one which comes close to combine a good robot mode with decent altmode functionality is indeed Music Label Soundwave. For mainline release, it just isn't profitable to build in such functionality.

Besides, contemporary tastes when it comes to appliances = thinner & smaller.

The old cassette player is none of the above and without any real functionality it is certainly a fail case in modern markets.

13. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. I hate having main characters turn into objects. I'm only okay with it if it's a drone or minion type character, like Soundwave's minions, or Frenzy in the movie.

Same here. I've always imagined him as a Scion xB (or a lookalike) outfitted as a DJ van, like in Animated.

14. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

I think the Animated Soundwave would be a good starting point in making a generation version

15. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Why not. How many people love Ipods. If they could do something like the Music label devices, but change it into a modern item like the Ipod, that would work to me.

16. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One thing I've never heard a satisfactory answer to...if Soundwave can't be released as a tape deck because kids "don't know what that is," than why the hell was Ravage released as a cassette with Hound??? He may be considered an "accessory" to a deluxe toy, but wouldn't it have been easier to have him transform into a gun or something that could be used by Hound or other characters?

True...but how many kids can tell what FoC Shockwave turns into? It's a flying...thing. RotF The Fallen and Ravage also had very generous "alt modes."

That too. The "satellite" mode isn't exactly very big on play-factor since it justs....hangs there. Plus it's not like it came with a military satellite accessory to molest like in the film. :D 

Personally, I'm good with Soundwave turning into an earth vehicle, and a satellite truck works for me.

17. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    haha your sig is cracking me up...

Yeah I'm not too familiar with animated so didn't really consider him. I think the beak axe was a bit odd. I'd have the flip up side panel to reveal 4 large woofers and they would turn into his initial cassette buds from g1.

18. vatarian

vatarian SPIDER8ITCH

What's wrong with Prime, and WFC soundwave? they're both great, well execute designs, one of which bears a strong resemblence to the GEEWUn version.

19. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I have literally never seen anyone downtalk the WFC Soundwave figure, I'm not saying there haven't been SOME people who have, but I have not, and definitely FAR from enough to claim "a lot of people seem to hate [it]".

Those also weren't part of the main line, and were items that modern children were familiar with. The satellite is CONSIDERABLY better than "cassette player", satellites at least move on their own, and with his Cybertronian design, you can turn him into a jet (which 'flies' unlike cassette which only 'pushes button').

Now this, I don't mind. I did REALLY like the concept for Animated Soundave as the Scion xB (not as a toy that gained sentience), I wouldn't mind an entirely new Soundwave mold in an xB alt-form, I actually would like it a LOT.

The idea needs to be taken into consideration that the Classics line initially started out for collector's (and was still primarily collector-driven; i.e. Galvatron, Straxus, Black/Sky Shadow). Though the kiddies still needed to be taken into consideration, hence why we have NERFatron, no G1 Shockwave or Soundwave; Ravage is an odd case, but it appears to be meant more as a throw-in accessory for us dweebs.

Seeing as how they likely know/play the games, I'm EXTREMELY positive they realize that he's a flying alien-thing from their home planet, like how Optimus is a ground, rolling, alien-thing from their home planet.

1) It has an official "jet mode"
    2) It's so alien looking anyway, it would've been very easy for kids to think it was some sort of alien flying-craft.

I used to think like this, but then I realized, he needs wings BADLY if he's going to be any form of "communications" vehicle, the drone form in TFP is PERFECT for the character. You could use that concept as a base to make a G1-looking Soundwave proto-form. For tele-communications, flight is imperative. Otherwise, make him something stylish to show off "MUSIC!" (i.e. Scion xB).

20. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to admit, I absolutely love the idea of TFP Soundwave. A very logical modern upgrade and awesome all-round. Satellite Soundwave was pretty good too, but not as good thanks to the Bay aesthetic and few (no?) lines in RotF.

ML Soundwave is da bomb. If you don't have him, get him. He's SO classics.