Soundwave and his tapes

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by onnsake, Oct 5, 2012.

1. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Even when I was nine, back in 1986, I understood the way the toy market worked. Once a toy was gone from the shelves, it was gone forever. And that meant that my beloved Soundwave toy that I had gotten for Christmas in 84 was gone for good after his head, chest and legs broke off.

Same for the cassettes...they weren't built for the kind of rough play I put them through. One by one, they all lost their limbs and were eventually thrown away.

I know I had all of them. Buzzsaw of course. And Laserbeak and Frenzy, Rumble and Ravage. But it's been so long, I can't remember if I ever had ALL of them intact at one time. I don't believe so. I never was able to assemble them as a team. And later, when they added Ratbat, I never even saw him in the stores. By that time, Soundwave was gone anyway.

So I for one will always champion the Encore line. These reissues are literally a DREAM COME TRUE. I never imagined back then that I'd have the opportunity to own these precious toys again. (And I don't mean just buying some other kid's used beat up toys...I mean the thrill of breaking the seal on a package and being the FIRST to transform the tight joints and all that!)

I've treasured my Transformers Collection 10 Soundwave since my brothers got it for me on my birthday in 2003. Probably the best birthday gift I've ever received! I added Soundblaster a few years later and now I had Ravage and Buzzsaw as well.

When Encore 17 came out, it was finally my chance at Ratbat after ALL these years. But I passed on it. Too much money for a package of 4 toys, 3 of which I don't even want!

But I couldn't pass on Encore 19......Frenzy and Rumble FINALLY mine!! What a thrill to AT LONG LAST assemble the season one cassettes and their boss! All of them!! I even was able to outfit Frenzy with a pair of vintage gold guns I bought in a comic book store many many years ago.

Soundwave and Laserbeak. Rumble and Frenzy. Ravage and Buzzsaw.......but wait.....where's Ratbat??

No Ratbat. Instantly, I regretted passing on Encore 17.

Well....I've been searching for two years and watched the price climb and climb. In the last few days with all the excitement over the MP line, I found myself really feeling stupid for not buying Ratbat when I had a chance.

And then I saw it on amazon....4500 yen. Brand new. Sealed box. Only a few hundred yen more than the original retail. I bought it immediately despite the fact that it's gonna mean I have to get by on $10 a day til my next payday in two weeks. Who cares...WORTH IT.

The delivery guy just dropped it off. I sliced through the tape. For the first time in my life....I got to transform Ratbat!!

And now they are complete. And even the two dinosaurs are in there too! It feels awesome. I love the tampoed details on the later reissues as well....no stickers peeling like the old days.

And in a few months I get to feel the thrill again in Masterpiece form.

Soundwave and Laserbeak. Rumble and Frenzy. Ravage and Buzzsaw.......but wait.....where's Ratbat??

Attached Files:

2. Menasor81

Menasor81 Well-Known Member

good deal man soundwave is my fav also

3. Darktide

Darktide Banned

Very Nice.

4. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love Soundwave and his minions too. Some of my favorite toys as a kid. But, don't worry about MP Ratbat. There are rumors he will be coming with MP Soundblaster. I'm sure someone will put him up on EBay if your not interested in Soundblaster.

5. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

Congrats man and awesome pic! Soundwave is, hands-down, my favorite TF along with his diminutive entourage. I remember as a kid, smuggling the tapes into school due to their size because, of course, we weren't supposed to bring toys or anything else that might cause a distraction into the classroom. Fond, fond memories of Soundwave and all the tapes for sure. That's why, very much like you, I treasure the various reissues I have of him and the tapes and am eagerly awaiting the release of the MP versions! Soundwave superior! Indeed, indeed.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Very cool! I hope we see more of your collection here :)