Soundwave Alt Mode - A modern take

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

My point is that my example of glasses wouldn't work because glasses aren't iconically spying devices. By the same token, neither is an iPhone. Yes it does have the ability to record, but it does so many other things that it doesn't work as a spying device. It can be rationalized as one, but that is not it's primary purpose.

Transformers alt modes almost always reflect their function or personality. i.e. Grapple and the Constructicons are builders so they're construction vehicles. Sunstreaker is brash and a showoff so he's a Lambo.

So by the same token, Soundwave is methodical. He is patient. He is a spy. Therefore when i think Soundwave, I do not think of an iPhone. he needs to be something that will not raise alarms and can sit and wait for info, but it also has to be iconic with spying. Hence my examples a few posts back.

2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My reaction had more to do with wondering why "Soundwave as iPhone" (which would make him incredibly small, unless we're using mass shifting like the cartoon on an even greater scale...and me rejecting mass shifting is a critique of a method used to explain away scale differences in pre-Transformers toys in the cartoon and not a lack of "imagination") and the perception that it wouldn't fly with a new generation is somehow an indictment of that generation.

I feel you're resorting to an unnecessary and condescending extreme just because you perceive some people, or a large group of people, as not agreeing with your position.

The rest is a separate argument, but there are creative people and creative enterprises out there. You just have to sift the crap a bit more because there's so much more stuff out there now, and so much easier to disseminate it, than there ever was before.

I would think so too...but it seems to go in the opposite direction for some people, unfortunately.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    First off, kids today are the same as kids 10, 20, 50, 2,000 years ago. Don't go claiming the current generation sucks because they don't. It just makes you look like a crotchety old man waving his cane.

Secondly I hate size changers. If Soundwave were a tape deck and stayed that size, then sure I wouldn't have a problem with him. I doubt he would be such an important character though. So I'm super glad they updated him.

Thirdly, the problem with being a device is you're immobile. It's hard to be a spy when you have to rely on fleshbags whims.

I'm not against objects being transformers. Your premise is sound. It does make things scary to think anything around you could be a killer robot. But as I said, I'd want that killer robot to have the same mass as what it transformed from, thus most things would be small.

I think modern Soundwaves are fantastic. A mix of what he was and the functionality to get it done. WFC is amazing.

And just to throw this out there. Every time I see an H3 Hummer I think, "Man a tripped out audiophile version of that would make an AWESOME Soundwave."

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Officially he was a communications officer, which actually would make an IPhone a pretty apt alt mode. If it's not phone calls then it's texts, internet, emails, video. All communications he can spy on. He could also read minds by monitoring electrical brain impulses - perfect for an alt mode that people routinely put right up against the side of their head.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    If it was up to me I'd reuse the Scion idea from Animated. It's sporty and kinda badass looking.

I mean a music device isn't really gonna help win a war.

6. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Stop it.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Soundwave was a tape deck in G1...just leave him be. He does not need to bee anything remotely like that. Soundwave charisma comes more from his voice, sneakyness, lack of emotions, minions (that dont need to be a cassette or app, movie ravage is excellent) and top all of this with his awesome robot mode.

It is more important to keep his charisma and is way to work, execute missions and be as loyal to Megatron as he can be. These are the traits with the above things that make soundwave. The tape deck was just a great bonus to an already awesoem character.

8. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    When the Real Gear Booster X10 came out, I thought it'd be cool to have Soundwave be an iPod docking station, and each of the minions would be an iPod.

[​IMG]

9. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I was thinking about creativity since I posted. Videogames is the only creative medium I am currently seeing at this point.

As for mass shifting. I have a theory on mass shifting works as well. So soundwave is this Giant 30 foot robot who is completely hollow on the inside. When he transforms, the metal folds upon itself thousands if not millions of times making a much smaller but completely solid object.

Think of a 30 foot piece of paper. Fold it on itself as many times as possible and you can get a much smaller object.

Of course he is paper thin, but the metal he is made off is extremely solid.

So for that reason mass shifting never really bothered me. Also explains how he had like 20 cassettes inside of him at any time.

10. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Mass shifting is easy to explain. Matter and energy is interchangeable as per Einstein. A 30 foot robot can go down to a 1 pound object and store his extra mass in batteries. For a society of super advanced, space faring robots such a technology is not that much of stretch... as a fannon excuse.

But it's still an incredibly stupid concept.

11. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

If thats the case, why do we frequently use descriptors such as "Gears of War-Clone" or "God of War - Wannabe"

Video games suffer the same creative copying as movies; find something that works - rip it off till everyone is tired of it and move on.

That'll make for either one really light 30-foot robot, or one really heavy iphone/microcassete recorder.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Sorry, but cassette man would still apply to a micro cassette recorder as well.

Remember, this was Japan useing an English name.

It was done to imply he was "a "cassette" recorder, that became a robot "man".
    Not at all.

But devices that were commonly called Walkmans [not just by brand] all used standard size cassette.Not only that but they also had a radio function.

The Soundwave toy had no features of a radio.

The Soundwave toy also had a button for a "record" function.

Most [if not all] devices that were commonly called Walkmans did not have a record function.

Which is irrelevent.

'We were talking abvout what the toy was based on.

Which only depicted him as a walkman once if I'm right.

Thank you very much

13. Sanchimaru

Sanchimaru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want Soundwave to turn into a gramophone... and Reflector into one of those magnesium-flash cameras where you would see the images upside-down. (-_-)
    And yes, cassettes are outdated, I don't mind if they still make them, you can buy a cheap digital recorder that is more versatile, since you can store the recorded data in your computer. CDs are outdated, even DVDs are outaded by now. It would make absolutely no sense to make a cassette now because they aren't everyday items anymore even if they exist.
    I loved how Blaster was remade into a laptop by Takara, and even if he is not officially named "Laserbeak" you know who the real gear MP3 player is. that is the real spirit of the spy Transformers, to disguise as everyday items.
    An Ipod is not outdated in 2 years. A particular model is outdated in a year or so, but not the item "multimedia digital player" that is an Ipod. Now, if 25 years from now somebody makes a Laptop and a MP3 player transformer, that might be lame, since for then they will probably be effectively outdated. Outdated as "kind of item", not the model itself. You can still buy VHS tapes and players, and that doesn't mean that they are not outdated.
    Reflector was a camera, and we do have cameras today. But not like Reflector. You can still buy photograph films, but the real gear toy was made into a digital camera. Because most of the people use digital cameras, film photograph is more of a professional thing now (or hipster).
    I don't think that updated forms have to follow 100% the pattern of the original toy / character. If Soundwave can have minions that store into him, cool. But if not, just make them in some other way. I don't know about you, but I am going to buy the next Frenzy/Rumble toys.
    ^ Agreed.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

God of War < Onimusha

Just saying.

Oh, and whoever said that immobile objects are bad for spying doesn't know what they're talking about. The entire point of spying or surveillance is that you want to stay as inconspicuous as possible, and not moving brings zero attention to you.

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Sorry I dont get it.

16. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Mixing crApple in with my TF's? No dice. I already want to puke every time I see that "sonic (ipod) white" ML Soundwave as it is.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

With mass shifting being a relic of the past I feel like Soundwave needs a fair sized alt mode. Yea things like the i-Phone are really cool but would make for a tiny tiny tiny Soundwave without mass shifting.

That's why I really loved Animated Soundwave. He still ended up with a radio element to him because some of those custom car systems can put even the best boom box to shame. Plus it meant that Soundwave could get around without having to go to bot mode just to move.

In a way a car mode Soundwave also opens up the possibility of making Jazz and Soundwave as rivals since Jazz has a sound attack and Soundwave also uses sound as a weapon.

As long as they can work some of the iconic parts of his robot look in and they can connect him to sound in some way I'm pretty happy. Not so sure on stealth plane Soundwave in Transformers Prime yet. The stealth plane works in the spy element but doesn't seem connected to sound very well.

Change isn't always a bad thing, some times change can be better. My current HDTV is way better than my old analog TV back in the 80's.

18. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    I think Soundwave might work as some sort of AEW&C (formerly AWACS) type of aircraft. I don't know if the big radar dish sticking off the plane would pose problems for a transformation scheme, but maybe it could be used as some sort of shield in robot mode, or a radar dish sitting on a shoulder.

As for his minions, the aerial ones (Laserbeak, etc.) could be mini-Predator-type drones, and the ground-bases ones (Rumble, etc.) could be Mars-rover type vehicles (applied to Earth-based functions).

And as an aside, Blaster could be some customized, souped-up band touring bus. A fictional one with speakers hanging off it or some such.

ETA. I'm ignoring, of course, that TF Prime Soundwave already is a Predator drone, and RtS/United Rumble & Frenzy are tanks. No thoughts on what Blaster's little buddies would be either, though if Manatronatee were a Decepticon, he could be a torpedo drone thing!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  19. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Wow, this question is a real thinker...well to me that is. To me Soundwave could be a digital media device, but would like to see how to incorporate his minions. However I like Soundwave to be a communication vehicle, but thats my own personal perference.

20. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    I'd like to take a page from animated and make him a sicon, or an armored car much like the WFC one but more earth mode-y.