Soundwave Alt Mode - A modern take

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    This has been driving me crazy for some time now. It seems that Hasbro is enjoying destroying my childhood by releasing more and more molds of rediculous alt mode G1 characters.

Part of the reason I love the decepticons is because they could be anything. Season 1 had all of the following: A Gun, A Walkman, Cassettes, Insects, Construction Vechicles and Planes. The Autobots on the other hand in season 1 were boring as hell. All they had was cars and trucks. They finally made Dinosaurs towards the end of the season.

I think most of us fondly remember the decptiticons over the autobots. So this brings me to one of the most beloved Decepticons, Soundwave. Soundwave is getting destroyed left and right with crappy molds. The best one so far is music label.

So the question here is, how do we update him properly. The answer is easy, look to the past. The hottest thing in 1986 was the walkman. So what was soundwave based on, yup a walkman.

OK, so we have two factors:
    1- Trend of the time
    2- Handheld technological device

OK, so to update him we have to look at what is the hottest handheld electronic device of our time. Any ideas? Well, how about the Ipod/Iphone/Ipad?

That would be a perfect update mold. The arguement that Hasbro uses not to make Soundwave is that kids don't want to play with tape decks since they no longer are hip, well, the Ipod/Iphone/Ipad is hip.

OK, next problem. Soundwave had tapes that transformed. How do we have that in an Ipod/Iphone/Ipad. So let's look to the past.

In the past, we had tapes that held our media. Today, we have Apps.

Keeping this in mind, Soundwave would just need to click on an App, and the said app would come out to be Ravage, Rumble or whatever character you wanted.

This is not such a far stretch if you think about it. In the G1 cartoons, Soundwave was able to make energon cube housing chambers out of thin air from his chest. Why couldn't an app jump out of his chest?

Also, this would allow Hasbro to create multiple paint jobs for the characters. For instance a hologrphic see through figure for when they first pop out of his chest. Then a solid painted figure for when they form in the real world.

This is just one idea for Soundwave, but we can use the same ideas for Perceptor and so forth.

What do you guys think? I think we need better then more boring planes and cars.

[Edit] Some people think that you cannot do him in a small mode any longer as that does not work in modern times. This is my response for that:

If Soundwave was an Iphone, he literally can go anywhere and get any information. EVERYONE has a Iphone. Good luck getting the same info from a satallite or a survalliance truck. Let's say the president is having a meeting in a secret bunker, all you need to do is be the phone in his pocket. The satellite is not seeing through bunkers and so on. Also, your not getting a truck in that secret bunker. Let's say the Decepticons wanted to take down the high government officials. They send Soundwave in IPhone mode. Mid meeting, he transforms and kills everyone in the room.

2. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    its a cool idea if Soundwave wasn't such a large character in both size and role. My favorite Soundwave redo was a radicon who made him into an Army Psyop vehicle.
    [​IMG]

frenzy/ rumble could combine to form the speaker unit on top

3. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I still stand by that. I rather have something neat if I put him in alt mode, than just a flat device that does nothing like a phone or mp3 player would be. Plus the transformation would just be too simple. All around just not that fun. Now something more interactive as a car to reflect his nature as a music player or spy would be interesting. Like the scion with DJ equipment, or otherwise modded decked out vehicle, or similiar more entertaining device with interactivity as an alt other than just laying there, or needing me to carry him around and pretend he's a real device.

Yeah, I want my soundwave tailgate party instead of just some bland MP3 player or Phone.

4. Alucard77

News Credits:
    The only problem I have with this Idea is that I do not want another car mold. Look at your collection. How many car molds do you already have?

It doesn't need to be an MP3 player at all. I wouldn't mind it being a Full club DJ system as you mentioned. Or even a sound stage or something like that. It would make more sense as a whole clubs DJ system will turn into a 30 foot robot, instead of a 6 inch item turning into a 30 foot robot.

Either of our ideas are better then the crap Hasbro/Takara has been feeding us.

5. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I guess I'm fine with the car mostly because of

1. I love the dj station scion.

2. Decepticons don't have any cars as it is in their ranks of the line so far outside of crasher, and dragstrip, unless you have brakedown too.

But yeah, I'd be down for just a full on DJ system too if they managed to make it work design-wise, especially if it was sized perfectly for the scout rumble/frenzy to use.

6. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I liked your idea of a guitar lazer beak. The speakers could be frenzy and rumble.

7. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    It's hasbro's idea. I love animated soundwave for that. Shame they never did follow it up with Rumble Frenzy cordless amp/speaker though. But we already know Frenzy/Rumble are tanks, so the DJ station could at least incorporate their bot mods to his alt scale. The DJ speakers could be his legs or otherwise incorporated. So long as they are higher than the main dj equipment area in the middle.

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Haven't paid attention to the Animated stuffed. I should check em out.

9. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    If I was at my computer, I have a picture of him in speaker mode, with some other bot playing guitar laser beak. xD

10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Soundwave is my favorite character from G1 and I'm perfectly fine with these "crappy" molds he's been getting.
    2. Not everyone finds cars and trucks boring...especially little kids.
    3. The cassette minions would become three dimensional iPod/smartphone apps? That's...not something I would've though of. I like clear/crystal figures too...but I just want normal versions. I don't see the benefit of them here, other than it would look "cool" like most of the crystal figures I have.
    4. I just want a solid 'bot mode. I could care less about the alt mode, to be honest.

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You lost all credibility right there with the "destroying my childhood" part. Your childhood is over. It cannot be retroactively destroyed. And Transformers has been ruined FOREVER too many times by this point.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    War for Cybertron Soundwave is awesome. I love his armored vehicle mode and an immobile communications device wouldn't have been very fun in gameplay. I'd like to think the G1 form was selected for him by Teletraan-1 without his consent or desire, and he was just clever enough to make good utility of it.

If we bring back infiltration/communications alt-modes, they should be third modes, like Darkmount's, or the Soundwave/Perceptor fan modes.

13. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I will agree on this one. Too bad Hasbro has lost the art of the triple changer.

14. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I do love WFC soundwaves 'boom box' fan alt mode. All around great toy.

15. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Lost the art of the triple changer? I hate to break it to ya but if you remove the nostalgia lenses the G1 triple changers aren't particularly high quality material. Besides, Classics Astrotrain is quite cool.

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Dejavou??

He was based on a micro cassette recorder.

Says so on the toy itself.

But I agree with the rest of your premise

17. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Actually he's based on a microman toy called Cassette Man. Any toy labels added don't dictate what his alt was, or how he was used in show. As rumble and frenzy can attest to. Or Ironhide and ratchet with their heads, among many others.

18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    One word. Tankor.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Ahh, but thats not a label Hasbro added.

You really should look at the toys.
    [​IMG]

again you can see the tou says

micro cassete recorder

And how he was depicded on the show really isint relevent.

20. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Microcassette recorder or nothing. I could not care less what Hasbro or TakaraTomy think kids know and don't know.

There's little point in talking about how microcassette recorders may or may not be outdated (they're still on the market today and still in use by many). Exactly how long does it take for an iPod to become old? 1-2 years. How many iPhones have there been in the past 5 years? All of them.

You can't talk about something supposedly being outdated and then bring up technology that becomes outdated within a matter of a year or two.