Sounds like I'm going to BotCon in 2008

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Lock Cade, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Hey guys! Since BotCon is going to be held in Cincinnati, which isn't too far from where I live, I'm pleased to say that my brother and I are planning on attending. It'll be our first time, so I need to ask a few questions:

1) Registration -- when should I register, before or after I book a hotel room? I checked the BotCon website, but they say that registration details is to follow. So, should I wait until the website has details on registration?
    2) Panels & Events -- what panels are there, and are they the same as ones from the past cons? Any idea what sorts of events are planned for the con? Does it really matter if I go to any of these or not? I only want to get involved in the ones that I feel are worth my time.
    3) Advice -- got any? I know I asked for some advice this past year when I tried to attend BotCon 2007, but I'm going to ask for it again.

Please help me make this first trip to Botcon fun for me and my brother. We're really looking forward going.

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1) Book the hotel now as rooms tend to fill up fast, plus you can always cancel later. Registration probably won't begin till late January.

2) Panels are pretty much the same type every year. Hasbro panel, voice actors panel, collectors club round table, IDW panel, club comic/newsletter panel.

3) Bathe regularly, use deoderant and bring at least one clean shirt for each day. Listen for the sound of "EEEEYYYYY" that will be us. For more info Deefuzz started this thread last year. It's chock full of info on what to expect based on Botcon 2005 and 2006.

Cheers,

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Plan your time to not just be during the convention, but for hours afterwards. There's always a party going on.

4. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Plan on the possibility of mild Alcohol Poisoning or; at the very least, a severe hang over or two, or three. Because, what's our motto people?

5. Motor_Master

News Credits:
    QFT. If you simply go for the dealer's room, exclusives and all the other officially sponsored convention events, you're missing half to three quarters of the fun. Especially with TFW in attendance!

6. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    WE WIN AT DRINKING! :drunk 
    :lol 

I suggest to get plenty of rest the week before, you will not get much sleep during the con weekend. Panels start early EARLY and the parties go on until late LATE!
    Also, make sure your liver is in good training before that weekend, bring Alka-Seltzer and sunglasses for those are essential for those hungover morning panels. Or noon dealer room rounds.

This year there will not be an 'International party Room' but from the looks of things? A 'Transuniversal party FLOOR!' :D 

7. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I didn't reserve my room yet, but I am planning on going as well. Just trying to decide if I want to bother flying or attempt the roughly 640 mile road trip from New York.

8. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Is there a place where I could find a bunch of TFW members or something (On maybe thursday or friday)? I guess I'd identify TFW'ers by the "show yourself" thread.

9. Motor_Master

News Credits:
    For the most part things happen on the fly, but the hotel bar is your best bet.

10. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Or sig pictures haha

11. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    This is true, I think I only got 3-4 hours of sleep a night at the last one.

12. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    man you should be happy, in our room you got next to nothing with the snoring :lol  I remember waking up at the same time as Bimma quite a few times

13. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You would be wise to book the room as soon as possible. Hopefully they will announce another hotel block soon. Rooms will FILL FAST. Details can come following and if you need to change your hotel cancellations are usually no charge until the day prior to your check-in date.

Moosh

14. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    From all Al’s gripping I was the snoring problem in our room. Next time I’m going to bring every one ear plugs… Or maybe iPods.

15. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Sounds like I need to make up my mind on this on going. (Note to self, Put new GD Thread pic in "show yourself", get map of cincinatti, Get actual names of board memebers going.)

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Rooms going fast? *Walks away from computer, cusses, then comes back* I guess I better get my rear in gear and tell my brother that if we're going, we better book a room... like, ASAP.

Registration's not til January? Sheesh... you'd think the peeps who organize BotCon could be a little bit snappier when it comes to these things...

Like, I'll be sure to stay clean for the whole trip, guys. I'm a FAN-ETTE!!!

And, uh... don't count on me hitting the bar too much. Besides, I don't drink a whole lot... I may have turned 21 this last April, but I'm still not used to drinking. So far, the only things I've been drinking is Boone's Farm wine, Smirnoff, or anything that's fruit-flavored (like Seagrams). If I do join you guys at the bar, expect my brother to be there with me. Not that I don't trust you guys, but you know this is going to be my first time at BotCon... I'd rather be sober enough to enjoy it all.

17. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    These words don’t all go in the same sentence.

18. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    :thumb 

19. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Here's how Botcon typically works:

- Night before the convention "starts", the TFW crew gets smashed at a bar or in a hotel room
    - The day of the convention, we nerd it out, do some shopping, meet up with friends, get autographs/sketches/whatever.
    - The night of the first day of the convention, it's usually a trip to the closest bar followed by "closing it down" and then moving to a hotel room and continue drinking

Repeat that process. There are usually cliques so if you post on more than one board, your friends at the AllSpark don't generally hang out with the crew at TFW2005. The only exception is the Seibertron crew and TFW2005 crew usually have a drink together at some point.

Just be sure you can stay awake till 3am and wake up at 8am the next day. That's how we roll all week/weekend.

20. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    And if you don’t show up make sure you have unlimited text messaging because you’ll need it.