Soundbar...surround sound?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by eyeballkid, Jul 4, 2011.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I have a nice TV and a PS3. I am interested in some new speakers, but I would like to avoid getting a receiver. Any suggestions? I don't want something cheap or cumbersome.

2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Logitech 5.1 speakers at Wal-Mart, $74.88

Comes with an audio adapter that allows you to plug in the 2 channel red and white RCA plugs, and the speaker system outputs 5.1 sound. All of the speakers are equally balanced, so you just turn it on and go.

You'll need to buy some audio cables to extend the speakers so they'll fit the room. Small, but powerful. Rattle my windows.

3. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    My bro has a Polk soundbar, which sounds excellent.

Like TFX said, logitech has some good stuff.

Personally, I rock an older sony receiver with some Polk front towers and a center, along with some no name (acoustic research) for the sides and rears. No woofer, but the towers put out enough bass. Loud!

4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I guess I meant theater sound quality. Samsung has a sound bar out for 350. Or there is the Bose system for 550. If I can buy cheap speakers at Wal-Mart that are just as good, I'm all for it!

5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soundbars can sound good, but they'll never truly give you accurate sound. It's a faked surround, and some feel authentic, but the Logitech set I mentioned will do a real 5.1 surround.

Bose is okay, but you're paying for the name, and really overpaying, period.
    Samsung's not bad, but still overpaying.

Amazon.com: Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker System: Electronics I have this exact model, and as I mentioned earlier, it can actually rattle my windows.

I bought this soundcard: DIAMOND XtremeSound 7.1/16bit Sound Card|XtremeSound and with it's line in jack and 3D audio software, it makes TV (using the line out on my TV) and DVD/Blu-Ray sound amazing. With the software, you can adjust each channel, the bass, plus it provides you a graphic equalizer to work with as well.

I bought both for a little over $105.00 and it was well worth it. I invested in a set of 2.0 speakers to fill the void and take the system from 5.1 to 7.1

Video games sound fantastic. Movies as well. TV not quite as good, but still impressive.

6. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    A couple years ago I bought the Sony HT CT100 Soundbar (with subwoofer) - because I was in an apartment and had little room for a big system (and didn't want to drop bose type money on the small speakers)...

Anyway, it's a decent option...not sure if they updated the exact style, but I got it cheap on amazon. Soundwise, it's good - definitely not surround (but no soundbar is, despite what they will advertise).