Soul Calibur 3

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Devastator001, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

I have been thinking of finding that game for PS2 and give it a shot at mastering. I just wanted to get your feedback on the game and how it compared with the other earlier games before I decide to run all over town tracking one down. Thanks in advance. :thumb 

2. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    SC3 is without a doubt superior to all the ones that came before it. It only falters in being only a small jump over SC2, and while one of the better looking PS2 games, it doesn't look as nice at SC2 did on Xbox or gamecube.

if you're serious about the game go to the Soul Calibur forums
    http://soulcalibur.com/forums/index.php

I spent nearly 2 years on weekly SC2 tournaments all over wisconsin and in chicago. I wouldn't have become as good or even cared had there not been a huge community to play with. You might lose first round, but you really go way beyond the moves list watching pro and semi-pro players. And most of them will be happy to suggest fighters to pick and give you tips.

oh and while the character creator is great and can be tons of fun, they're highly illegal in tournament play not because of balance issues, but because you can use costumes to hide movement so opponents can't see your next move coming. Yeah, I know thats bull, but thems the breaks.

The only other fighter I might reccomend with a thriving community is Tekken 5. if theres an arcade near you, you may be able to find coin-op tournaments.

3. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    I personally didn't find it to be much of an improvement over Soul Calibur II, but since both are practically the same price and Soul Calibur III has some cool new characters (Tira!) you're just as well off picking it up. It's the best 3D fighter available on the PS2.

Oh and the english dub is horrible, listen to Mitsurugi.

4. Shipley

News Credits:
    like I said, the advance is really incremental. if you're only a casual SC2 player, then nothing to see here. but if you loved SC2 you'll find enough new moves and players to make it worthwhile. its like Super Street Fighter compared to Championship edition.

as for the dub, I don't see how it even matters since each fighter doesn't have more than 2-3 lines.

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    SC3 is awesome, still not hugely improved over SC2 and SC1, but still totally awesome and worthwhile. Seung Mina FTW.

6. Devastator001

Thank you all for the tip.:thumb  I am going to give it a try...if I can find one in town. I definately looks interesting.

7. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    Check out gamestop.com or bestbuy.com, you can search their stores for the game. And you shouldn't have a problem finding it, especially since it hit $20 recently.

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still have to get SC3 myself :(  I'm so behind on gaming recently. When I moved out here to LA I had to leave my PS2 back home so I'm even more deprived. HALP!

I feel like I'll never be able to "master" any game. It takes so much time/practice, and I don't like to play any one game over and over too much. There's too many I want to play you know? I don't want to be stuck with one, no matter how much I'd love to be really good at the competitive ones.

9. Shipley

News Credits:
    I used to think that too, but sometimes you find one thats just right and fits in with your natural abilities and tastes.

For instance, I can clean up against anyone in Mario kart: double dash on gamecube. We used to have a regular game night at my old apartment and even with 8-player games over LAN, I'd still win nearly every time. I also won several tournaments.

sadly, my skills do not translate to MK DS, since that went back to the controls closer to the 64 version...

10. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I love it. The character creation is one of the better ones I've seen, and I love the new characters. If only it had been for all systems. It would have looked even more beautiful on Gamecube, and I think Gamecube has the best controler for fightign games because of the weird button arrangement.

11. Devastator001

I finally found one at EB Games last weekend. I played it a few time and found it to be a slight step up from SCII as some have mentioned earlier. It is sad to see some have lost some fightling abilities from SCII as they transistioned to SCIII. Sigfried is my favorite character now. I still hate Raphael. All in all, it is a great game.